Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Server 2003 70-290

Options
  • 17-12-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at picking up a book for this and just wonderinig if anyone had any recommendations? I've got a few labs/pdfs already but having worked with both those and a book for my A+ I'd like to stick with a winning formula. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

They're all much of a muchness.

Personally I prefer Sybex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Know the difference between Full, Differential and Incremental backups and how to do a restore from each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Cheers folks.

Went for the passport set from Mike Meyers. It has 70-290/291/293/294. ill evenetually be doing them so just thought it better to get them all bought instead of wasting money on shipping at a later date.

Have this exam coming up soon. Anyone any advice on specific topics to cover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

testicle wrote: »
    Know the difference between Full, Differential and Incremental backups and how to do a restore from each.

There you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Know how to create users, shares etc, basic stuff. I found 10-290 not to be that bad in all honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Have mine booked for next Wednesday. Will let you know the craic

Looks fairly straight-forward (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

70-290 is not as tough as 70-291........which is a bit of a beast and most people fail it the first time.

Btw the best book I found was this one

Good luck in your exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Couple of areas seem to be essential knowlege for this one:
    Different NTBACKUP types
    Difference between Share and NTFS permissions
    Managing users and groups in AD - e.g. difference between Global, Universal groups etc. And more obvious stuff like how to unlock accounts and reset password.
    When to use commands like DSMOD or DSADD
    Group Policy Objects
    Shadow Copies

I remember questions on SUS (software update services) also. It had already been superseeded by WSUS, but a lot of the info was similar and I just learned what was in the MS Press book about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Took and passed the exam Wednesday gone. Was actually easier then I thought...I guess the harder questions will be be had in 70-291

I had a lot of backup type questions....just one or 2 IIS questions had me stumped though. (The answer is iiscnfg.vbs /copy btw ;) )

More or less all been said in this thread. If you're using 2003 daily you'll fly this one

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

Raekwon wrote: »
    70-290 is not as tough as 70-291........which is a bit of a beast and most people fail it the first time.

Btw the best book I found was this one

Good luck in your exams!

You’re dead right - Failed 70-291 today with 646, will take again in a couple of weeks. I did 290 in 2005, just getting back into it now. I spent a lot of time going through the entire MS press 291 book, and left myself short of time at end to go over it again and do a few practice exams. To be honest I though I was going to get about 500. Working with 2003 since 2005 so that helped, fell down most on "network security", OK on "Routing and remote access" (near end of book), OK on "name resolution" Good on IP addressing and good on "network infrastructure"
    Few WSUS questions at start didn’t help. I wasn't great on the simulations either. Did take a second pass out (scheduled exam before I though of it.)
    Going to do this and maybe do VCP on esx 3.5 as I have done the prerequisite course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

MS Press
    Its a walk in the park anyway :-)

Advertisement