Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul McKenna (NLP) - Multiple books & CD's at once.

• 17-12-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey I'm thinking of starting a few of Paul McKennas books/ebooks.

Instant Confidence (book and CD),

Change Your Life in 7 Days (book and CD),

I Can Make You Thin (book and CD).

Supreme Self Confidence (audio Book).

Easy Weight Loss (audio book)

Since this is a psychology forum I'm assuming someone knows something about Neuro-Linguistic Programming. If its not the right forum, I apologise.

Would it be okay to use all of these at once - or would the use of multiple CD's and stuff jeopardise or slow down my chance of success?
    ething about Neuro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

oh this is my favourite topic for a few weeks now.
    ive watched i think all nlp videos you can care to find on google video and still reading a book introducing the topic.
    i have seen videos of Paul McKenna working.he didnt come across as smooth as he could have been or subtle but overall im sure he understands the processes very well.
    i would imagine it is ok to use all one after the other(dont know about all same time) but i wouldnt if i were you.
    since i dont really know the techniques he will be using its hard to say if there will be a conflict or not.
    i would guess that in all of them he is helping you create new associations for habits and emotions that trigger some responses you feel you dont need.
    i would probably try one of them first to see if it works for you.sometimes you need an nlp practitioner to work with you to make it more effective.

ps. from what i read the general idea with NLP is to give the person more options therefore changing there actions to positive through motivation of a positive outcome or result.one of the interesting things about the sub-concious mind is it doesnt process negatives,or not the way you think it would. when someone says"dont eat that ice-cream" the brain sees the action of eat and the subject of ice-cream and you will think about eating ice-cream if not in your concious then your unconcious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

Torakx wrote: »
    ps. from what i read the general idea with NLP is to give the person more options therefore changing there actions to positive through motivation of a positive outcome or result.one of the interesting things about the sub-concious mind is it doesnt process negatives,or not the way you think it would. when someone says"dont eat that ice-cream" the brain sees the action of eat and the subject of ice-cream and you will think about eating ice-cream if not in your concious then your unconcious.

This is why you shouldn't be reading NLP. It's full of such utter nonsense. The event related potential measured by an EEG will spike when the negative is processed i.e. the "not" is responded to the most. Negations in sentences are responded to in the brain more actively than others aspects of the sentence.

"Do not jump off a bridge!"

Are you going to want to jump off a bridge because I mentioned "jump" and "bridge"?

If you want to understand people and the mind / brain then read psychology not pseudoscience such as NLP which exists purely and simply to separate people from their money with a range of oversimplified nonscientific concepts which merely sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

hotspur wrote: »
    This is why you shouldn't be reading NLP. It's full of such utter nonsense. The event related potential measured by an EEG will spike when the negative is processed i.e. the "not" is responded to the most. Negations in sentences are responded to in the brain more actively than others aspects of the sentence.

"Do not jump off a bridge!"

Are you going to want to jump off a bridge because I mentioned "jump" and "bridge"?

If you want to understand people and the mind / brain then read psychology not pseudoscience such as NLP which exists purely and simply to separate people from their money with a range of oversimplified nonscientific concepts which merely sound good.

im a little suprised by your response ^^
    is there a difference between readings from an EEG with the subconcious and is it the same as the concious one for that particular test?and how can you test both?im not sure if its possible.
    i may have been wrong in the context i tried to explain the negatives related to the mind.i am new to nlp.
    but i do indeed sense some distaste for nlp and i feel it might be unfounded.even if what i said about the brain processing negatives was not true (i believe i just didnt explain it properly and not fully understanding nlp yet either)

i can understand fully trained psychologists being against nlp but from the standpoint that they might lose clients because of it or spend less time with clients because of it.

so far my own personal view is that i would love to work with people and help them through there issues.if i get paid for it along the way that will be nice.
    i feel my best option would be a basic psychology course like the one in UCD then possibly a course on nlp to compliment psychology.
    i know for sure NLP is not a hoax.i have seen way too many things for it all to be acted out.i have used some of the techniques myself and found it actually works with my communication skills.

But i did say i am not a psychologist so i do not know to what extent a psychology course will help me to see if my client is thinking or lying and i dont know yet if a psychology course would help me to create amazing rapport with my clients.
    info on that would be appreciated thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

[edit: just cut out my response to the NLP stuff]

What you should study and train in depends on what exactly you want. Psychology as an undergraduate course is the study of human behaviour, it is not a clinical training and there is no question about clients.

Do you wish to become a therapist of sorts? What do you wish to be able to help people with? Broadly and crudely you could categorise it as follows:
    Serious psychopathology - a psychiatrist, a clinical psychologist
    Less serious psychological problems - a psychotherapist / counsellor, or counselling / clinical psychologist
    Smoking cessation, weight loss, simple phobia (i.e. small positive behaviour change) - may be some of the above but also a hypnotherapist and those who do NLP.

Focusing on the last 2 there, most hypnotherapists and NLP therapists get any results merely through generic aspects of motivation and suggestion i.e. the dynamic techniques they use are not the actual mechanisms of the changes they can produce.

NLP, like much hypnotherapy, works pretty much only on the imaginal but far less well than hypnotherapy does if done well. To be sure there are many people for whom their imagnial pictures are problematic, be it inducing anxiety, sadness, or anger. However our mental imagining is but one component of cognitive content which itself is just one component of the cognitive, behavioural, emotional, physiological, and social apparatus which constitutes us.

NLP is to the mental health field what message is to medicine, except that masseurs don't try to promote massage as an alternative to surgery or chemotherapy for cancer. Nobody here is having a go at NLP just to be mean, out of professional snobbery, or out of ignorance.

If you have an interest in becoming a therapist there are many foundation courses in counselling / psychotherapy which run frequently for several months and cost less than €1k. Here are some places which do foundation courses in Dublin:
    http://www.tivoliinstitute.com/foundation_course.asp
    http://www.pcicollege.ie/
    http://www.iicp.ie/index_files/Page380.htm
    http://www.turningpoint.ie/tp_training_prof08.htm
    http://www.libertiescollege.ie/pages/Department%20of%20%20Health%20Care%20Community%20Care/Counselling%20Foundation%20Studies.htm
    http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=all&mode=full#CCOU

Advertisement