Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 real cost???

Options
  • 17-12-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Can someone whos been on the j1 please give me an honest breakdown of what it will cost in TOTAL? I'm hopefully heading to san francisco next summer, but i don't think the companies are being completely honest about what it will cost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well the initial cost will be between 800e and 1200e, depending on flights and everything. And then there's the cost of the whole summer, you can't put a figure on that. But before you leave, expect to pay about 1000e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Hi,

Can someone whos been on the j1 please give me an honest breakdown of what it will cost in TOTAL? I'm hopefully heading to san francisco next summer, but i don't think the companies are being completely honest about what it will cost.

I went to New York last year. We booked in December, the company charged us between €1000-€1200 (Visa, Sponsor, Flights, insurance).

This doesnt include the €107 bank draft you will have to pay in order to do the interview in the US embassy.

In April they will offer you a US Sim card and a bank account for €50. 2 in our group got it and it took them almost 3weeks after arriving in New york to get their bank cards. So stay clear of that.

You may also need $1000 Cash to get past US customs/ immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Bukman13 wrote: »
    I went to New York last year. We booked in December, the company charged us between €1000-€1200 (Visa, Sponsor, Flights, insurance).

1K is an absolute rip off for the east coast op if this is what you get quoted look elsewhere east coast for me for the last two years has been around 600 - 750. west coast for my friends has been around 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

PeakOutput wrote: »
    1K is an absolute rip off for the east coast op if this is what you get quoted look elsewhere east coast for me for the last two years has been around 600 - 750. west coast for my friends has been around 1000

Yea tell me about it!

Our flights cost €750 alone... We didnt shop around, we just dove into the first place we went to and booked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ThePhantomTyper

ye, were hopin to book wit sayit cos apparently they let u book your own flights so it could work out cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

ye, were hopin to book wit sayit cos apparently they let u book your own flights so it could work out cheaper!
    Being able to book ur flights yourself with sayit is a bit of a myth!! They make u book flights thru them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

But they do get good deals. I booked two years ago with them and I was continuously looking at flight prices and sayit still got it cheaper! Maybe it was just my luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lopppy

Yeah i've heard USIT are dearest for flights, im thinking go4less because they seem the cheapest but the flights they have on their website are way less then you actually pay someone told me so i dunno... wish i cud book my own, with aerlingus you can go to NY for about 365 its a bit of a joke really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

going to re open this because I don't want to make a new thread but anywho

I think I can pay 1000
    have 1000 in my bank for funds and getting set up
    as long as I get a job I will at least break even, never heard of someone not getting work and having to come back? D:

2500 euros is enough?

Also I am alone and have no paid work experience but ran workshops in a hospital before, its my final year in college so I'm thinking I should go for it but I just have a bad feeling it won't work out.

So I'm just worried about the costs and where to go or should I find people who are already going to share with or I'd be looking for work as a camp counselor..
    Go4less seems like the best option, will have to sort it all out in Feb

The cheapest flights to LA I've seen are 600 return, is this good compared to an agencies prices? (I say LA because I know someone over there I can stay with)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I know I'm late replying and you have most likely booked it already but it might be useful for others to know that you have to book your flight through an agency. It's fairly annoying as they charge much more. For example, my flight to New York cost 750 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

poisonated wrote: »
    I know I'm late replying and you have most likely booked it already but it might be useful for others to know that you have to book your flight through an agency. It's fairly annoying as they charge much more. For example, my flight to New York cost 750 euro.

You have to remember only certain companies are legally allowed process a J1 on behalf of the US i.e. You can't walk into the embassy and get one. While I agree you can book flights elsewhere, all the companies will then charge you the full VISA fee, which I think is in the region of €500 (As opposed to maybe €250)

Regardless, the saving you make wouldn't be worth the hassle if anything was to go pears up. You'd have to deal with two different companies and some 3rd party booked air fares can't be changed if you needed to stay longer / come home earlier.

To answer the original question, I'm going west coast this year. Costing about €1100 total. Personally, I'd say you'd want at least another €1500 to get you through any difficulties / down payments.

Advertisement