Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost to get money out in the UK

Options
  • 17-12-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I'm with AIB

How much will it cost to get 100 sterling out?

Whats the rate

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AFAIK there's a standard charge on each ATM transaction when you're abroad. I don't think this varies with how much you take out. Obviously the amount you take out will have to be converted to Yarros if you're in England though.

Gah! Serious answer. I feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Make sure they don't give you Northern money, it's useless anywhere else in the UK, they just won't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

ScumLord wrote: »
    Make sure they don't give you Northern money, it's useless anywhere else in the UK, they just won't take it.

It ain't useless, if any retailer refuses to accept legal tender you are within your rights to leave without paying, they will soon change their minds and accept your Northern Bank notes
    Unless of course its the wrong colour and been sitting in a box of washing powder for about 5 years now....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    AFAIK there's a standard charge on each ATM transaction when you're abroad. I don't think this varies with how much you take out. Obviously the amount you take out will have to be converted to Yarros if you're in England though.
    Incorrect, I've been using my Irish AIB ATM card in Scotland for the last year and a half and as long as you take money out from a proper bank ATM i.e not a free standing "Link" machine, then you'll be fine.
    This is also incorrect, while some places may question it they cannot legally reject it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

Anyone know the rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Contact your bank for the exchange rate, and their website will probably outline the costs of using your card abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think there is about a €1.50 charge for using an ATM (this is the charge your bank make, not the ATM in the UK) which is the foreign exchange charge, you then pay whatever AIB's exchange rate is at that particular time. It is usually about 2pence above or below the published rate (as it is in any currency exchange).

As an aside, if you bank with Ulster Bank and use an RBS or Natwest ATM you don't pay a charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It ain't useless, if any retailer refuses to accept legal tender you are within your rights to leave without paying, they will soon change their minds and accept your Northern Bank notes

"Northern Ireland money" is NOT legal tender (even in Northern Ireland)
    The only money that is legal tender to unlimited amounts throughout the UK is Royal mint £1 and £2 coins (lots of forged pound coins in circulation though)

I have managed to get shops/taxi drivers in England to take NI banknotes but its pretty rare (Most of them confuse them with "Irish money" even though there has been no such thing for years)

Oddly enough though Ive had NI banknotes accepted without question in Amsterdam !!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    "Northern Ireland money" is NOT legal tender (even in Northern Ireland)
    The only money that is legal tender to unlimited amounts throughout the UK is Royal mint £1 and £2 coins (lots of forged pound coins in circulation though)

I have managed to get shops/taxi drivers in England to take NI banknotes but its pretty rare (Most of them confuse them with "Irish money" even though there has been no such thing for years)

Oddly enough though Ive had NI banknotes accepted without question in Amsterdam !!!
    Any UK bank should change it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

"Should" as in "Probably will" yes
    "Should" as in "have to" no

Not sure why your quoting my post though since it doesnt alter any of the facts therein

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    "Should" as in "Probably will" yes
    "Should" as in "have to" no

Not sure why your quoting my post though since it doesnt alter any of the facts therein
    Never suggested there was anything inaccurate with your post. It was simply that you mentioned the legal tender point (which I agree with), and I was highlighting a way to exchange for legal tender.
    There is a Wikipedia article which explains the legals status of various sterling banknotes, and states that (in the case of NI notes):

"clearing banks and building societies will accept them"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Any chance we can get back on topic folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Thats not true, When I have been to the UK I have used NI notes in supermarkets and petrol stations through out the UK and no problems with it at all. But do not try to exchange NI notes outside UK or Ireland cos thats when you will have problems

Advertisement