Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much for 'delivery and related charges'

• 17-12-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

for a new car. The price of a brand new car is €600 more than the list price, would this be a normal amount. We never bought a new car but this one is such a good price and we'd be paying the same as if we bought a secondhand similar car. I'm trying to figure out if we can haggle any lower.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€600 is about normal.

You can haggle like hell over the price - get dealers competing for your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Delivery can range from €400 to €700 in some dealers. Other related extra is Metalic paint which is usually around €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Rylan wrote: »
    Delivery can range from €400 to €700 in some dealers. Other related extra is Metalic paint which is usually around €400.

Delivery charges range from: Included on FIAT/ALFA up to over €1,000 for Jag / Lexus.

Metallic Paint ranges from: Free on BMW 3.0d models / Lexus GX upwards to around €1,750 on a new Merc E-Class.

OP - let us know what type of car it is, but €600 doesn't sound horrific for delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

This delivery charge racket seems to me to be a little trick the motor trade has got away with for far too long.It should be included in the showroom price upfront. In any other business do you get charged extra at the checkout for the delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

cml387 wrote: »
    In any other business do you get charged extra at the checkout for the delivery?

Have you seen http://www.ryanair.ie :confused:

I was told that the truck costs €1700 to dealer from Dublin to Limerick and you can fit 7 vehicles or so on it and charge around €600 per vehicle.

€2500 profit. Not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Berty wrote: »
    Have you seen http://www.ryanair.ie :confused:

I was told that the truck costs €1700 to dealer from Dublin to Limerick and you can fit 7 vehicles or so on it and charge around €600 per vehicle.

€2500 profit. Not bad.

It costs me 65 quid plus the vodka and tonic to ship a car across the country. Whoever told you that little myth should be writing novels. ;)

The delivery charge consists of transporting the vehicle from the factory to the dealer.

It could be added onto the list price, but then the list price wouldnt be a list price. It would be an on the road price. So your list price would still be ex Delivery. So whats the point in adding it onto it? It'd be like buying a house and not allowing for furniture costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

FIAT and Alfa operate an "open book price", which is the price of the car on the road. It includes delivery, but ties them in terms of giving discounts. It also means that if you're trading a car against a FIAT or Alfa, then it's going to look as if you're being offered a lot less, as they don't have the buffer of discount available on a straight deal.

Back in the bad old days when I was attempting to sell cars, this was supposed to become the legal norm for advertising and selling cars in Ireland. As with many other things on our fair isle, it never came to pass; only FIAT/Alfa did it and stuck to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The delivery amount will vary between dealers of the same make depending on what they include in their delivery package.

Things like delivery, cleaning, mats, mudflaps, petrol etc vary in cost, and some dealers automatically throw in these things, some don't. It's at the garages discretion how much they charge for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

does anybody know exactly what Delivery and related charges are?????

as Delivery of a car is usually less than €80 with some of the big transport companies..... NVD, or Green tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

robtri wrote: »
    does anybody know exactly what Delivery and related charges are?????

as Delivery of a car is usually less than €80 with some of the big transport companies..... NVD, or Green tiger

Add labour costs for the PDI, cleaning, Mats, Fuel, Plates, Plate surrounds, Keyrings, Stickers, time for registering and making out the invoice.

I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Delivery and related charges aren't just delivery charges. Just to give you a breakdown on the delivery alone, when I was ordering cars from the UK, the route taken was :

From the factory by train to depot in the UK, from there by car transporter, across the ferry to Dublin. From there, on another transporter to a depot in Cork. So that's a train to pay for, 2 transporters, 2 depots, and a ferry for each car.

Then there's the PDI. Which is a mechanical inspection of every car, updating software, making sure the fluids are at the right levels, tire pressures, radio stations are tuned in, sat nav is working. About 2 hours to do everything, including a road test after.

Then there's fuel, always a full tank, minimum 60 euro.

Then there's numberplates & surrounds, floor mats, and about 4 hours in the valeting department.

Then there's the administration, ordering the car, communicating with the customer to make sure the spec is correct, tracking the vehicle in transit, making sure when receiving it that it hasn't been damaged in transit, making sure the car ordered is the one that came (With dozens of options that can be tricky), registering the car with the VRO, retrieving vehicle birth certs, printing off RF100's, all amounting to about another few hours of labour for someone.

If you want to do all that for 600 euro yourself, belt away.

[EDIT]That's just from the UK, getting something from Germany, or further afield would be even more costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Fey! wrote: »
    FIAT and Alfa operate an "open book price", which is the price of the car on the road. It includes delivery, but ties them in terms of giving discounts. It also means that if you're trading a car against a FIAT or Alfa, then it's going to look as if you're being offered a lot less, as they don't have the buffer of discount available on a straight deal.

Is this still the case?
    Looking here it says "Prices exclude delivery and related charges"

http://www.fiat.ie/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/FIAT_IRELAND/news/news.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1012566890.1261488181@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadejegjeekicefecejgdfkhdfjj.0&contentOID=1074063264

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

Delivery and related charges aren't just delivery charges. Just to give you a breakdown on the delivery alone, when I was ordering cars from the UK, the route taken was :

From the factory by train to depot in the UK, from there by car transporter, across the ferry to Dublin. From there, on another transporter to a depot in Cork. So that's a train to pay for, 2 transporters, 2 depots, and a ferry for each car.

Then there's the PDI. Which is a mechanical inspection of every car, updating software, making sure the fluids are at the right levels, tire pressures, radio stations are tuned in, sat nav is working. About 2 hours to do everything, including a road test after.

Then there's fuel, always a full tank, minimum 60 euro.

Then there's numberplates & surrounds, floor mats, and about 4 hours in the valeting department.

Then there's the administration, ordering the car, communicating with the customer to make sure the spec is correct, tracking the vehicle in transit, making sure when receiving it that it hasn't been damaged in transit, making sure the car ordered is the one that came (With dozens of options that can be tricky), registering the car with the VRO, retrieving vehicle birth certs, printing off RF100's, all amounting to about another few hours of labour for someone.

If you want to do all that for 600 euro yourself, belt away.

[EDIT]That's just from the UK, getting something from Germany, or further afield would be even more costly.

That may well be the case (I have no reason to doubt you). As someone looking to buy a new car, in the new year, when I am looking online etc I would like to know the offical final price.
    I am looking at the Yeti, there is no dealer within an hour of where I live, I would like to know where I stand before I travel to any dealers.
    I don't care about the difference between list price and road price etc all I want to know how much it is going to cost me.
    Regards,

Tap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

tap28 wrote: »
    I am looking at the Yeti

I wondered if anyone was actually going to buy one of those.
    tap28 wrote: »
    there is no dealer within an hour of where I live, I would like to know where I stand before I travel to any dealers. I don't care about the difference between list price and road price etc all I want to know how much it is going to cost me.

Pick up a phone. You'll get the OTR price from any dealer over the phone.

Advertisement