Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who cant scan their student card into the Library

Options
  • 17-12-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

It's getting ridiculous at this stage. Just put it flat on the scanner at the bottom, below the red line and slide it forward slowly. Works every time. All this jiggling and moving it backwards does my nut in.

Is it just me or were the queues not this bad last year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

<Unwarranted Personal Abuse>
    And you're banned for a week.

Funny old world, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Can I go on a long rant here too? :D

It is mildly annoying I guess, and a little amusing, but there's worse troubles OP. If it really bothers you try the Health Sciences library, where the staff have put up a detailed guide on how to scan in and out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It's getting ridiculous at this stage. Just put it flat on the scanner at the bottom, below the red line and slide it forward slowly. Works every time. All this jiggling and moving it backwards does my nut in.

Is it just me or were the queues not this bad last year?

The scanners to enter the library are in **** order this year.
    Mine works fine pretty much every time but I've seen people scan them properly and just getting no response from the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I always have problems with my card going in to the library. Its really annoying particularly when ppl behind you are tutting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

I used to be one of those whiny people until it kept happening to me this year. Library staff explained that it's a problem to do with the new student cards that last the entirity of your programme. The printers used at the start of the year didn't print the barcodes strongly enough on certain cards and that's why it's been worse this year.

Maybe you should consider that not everyone is an idiot who can't get into the library. I'd also get off the high horse if I were you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Doesn't bother me at all, as I'm in no rush to get into that library.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

The one furthest from the stairs seems worst but they're both crap. The new cards do seem very blurry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I used to have problems with it. It's a problem with the card more often than the person scanning it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I just do it on purpose to annoy people. The people who come on Boards to give out about it specifically. Good to see my hard work is paying off. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One trick that has worked for me, a few times: drop the card from a few cm, straight on to the centre of the reader. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Actually I think it's the machine's because I have problems going in but never going out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    Actually I think it's the machine's because I have problems going in but never going out...

This is true. I've never seen someone get stuck on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Mine has also worked fine for my first three years...now though, you can clearly see that the barcode is 'feathered' - like a printer that ran out of ink.

Sometimes it scans as "User not recognised" on the way out. It's definitely the new cards OP.

I fully agree with Chucky the Tree (STUYHR)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Breezer wrote: »
    If it really bothers you try the Health Sciences library, where the staff have put up a detailed guide on how to scan in and out...

I find that really insulting to my intelligence that they have an almost step by step guide. But I guess some idiots still manage to get it wrong with the instructions in front of them

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

smk89 wrote: »
    I find that really insulting to my intelligence that they have an almost step by step guide. But I guess some idiots still manage to get it wrong with the instructions in front of them

You're easily insulted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

They also have step by step guides in the toilets on how to dry your hands - for those that wash presumably.

Come on any simpler and they would include instruction on how to use your arms
    kinaldo wrote: »
    They also have step by step guides in the toilets on how to dry your hands - for those that wash presumably.

That was actually really useful tbh. Now I know how to properly wash my hands

Breezer wrote: »
    Can I go on a long rant here too? :D

It is mildly annoying I guess, and a little amusing, but there's worse troubles OP. If it really bothers you try the Health Sciences library, where the staff have put up a detailed guide on how to scan in and out...
    I completely disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

1. Walk up to machine.
    2. Look at guide intensely.
    3. Continue to study it.
    4. Slowly attempt each step.
    5. Fail at the last step.
    6. Quickly place each hand on the side of your head.
    7. Scream "Oh god, NOT AGAIN!"
    8. ??????
    9. PROFIT!

TDOie wrote: »
    1. Walk up to machine.
    2. Look at guide intensely.
    3. Continue to study it.
    4. Slowly attempt each step.
    5. Fail at the last step.
    6. Quickly place each hand on the side of your head.
    7. Scream "Oh god, NOT AGAIN!"
    8. ??????
    9. PROFIT!

Must print this out and put it outside the library!
    I feel karma will bite me in the ass and make me one of them. But hey I wont be in the library for at least another... 5 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

lol any bit of liquid on the scanners fcuks them up!

Racing through the turnstiles is the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Also... there are always more people trying to get into the library than there are getting out...why 3 turnstiles going out and two going in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Also... there are always more people trying to get into the library than there are getting out...why 3 turnstiles going out and two going in?

Dunno, maybe if they needed to evacuate the library it'd be faster with 3 turnstiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Dunno, maybe if they needed to evacuate the library it'd be faster with 3 turnstiles?

In other buildings I've been in with turnstiles, during a fire drill both the in and out turnstiles are opened up by folding down the barriers, allowing fast exit via both the in and out way. Assuming best practice in the fire and safety area by UCD I'd have to assume the same applies.

Therefore this doesn't seem to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have been in this college several years and never had problems getting into the library until this year where it now at times takes me a couple of swipes to be let through. It's the machine imo.

There's no space to have a long queue to leave the library?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

i assume it's something to do with the disabled access.. would make more sense to have it on the far side no?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

When the library's closing there's often fairly large crowds still around,but the stream of people going in is continuous more so than crowded at certain times

That's my theory on it anyway.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

Some people are definitely a little bit 'special' when it comes to figuring out how to scan in but most of the problem is the machines. This year and last year I've been in the library most days, last year was fine nearly all the time, but this year the machines work perfectly some days and then hardly at all other days. And I use the same card-on-scanner technique each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

It never works for me. Once I put my Bank card on it by a mistake:o

Advertisement