Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Problem

Options
  • 17-12-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had this problem before or any solutions.

Our rads are all hot top to bottom but the house is not warming up at all, we have not had this problem in previous years, usually the house is warm and stays warm after the heating (oil) is turned off but is instantly cold now.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Hi WHU,
    Your question seems a bit strange but I suppose its the situation your in and you would like to find a resolution. The Cowl didnt fall off your chimney at any stage did it? This can cause a serious draft through the house which will take all the heat away in minutes. Theres a good discussion on another boards thread here. If your not using your chimney, I would recommend that you block it off with some insulation such as fibreglass, a chimney bag or as a cheaper solution some people cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the fireplace opening and put tape around it to make a seal but it doesnt look great and the wind can sometimes push and pull the cardboard like a diaphragm. If I were you, I would be looking for drafts. Possibly a window seal has gone, a slate on the roof may be out of place (Open hole in the roof). Do you have large vents in the walls? A draft excluder for the front door might be an idea.

Does anyone in the house smoke? Not having a go at smokers here (although im not a fan) but I have shared a house with smokers in the past and there was no smoking allowed in the house so they had to go outside. Problem was they had a habit of leaving the door open "for a sec" while they had their smoke and didnt realise just how much heat was escaping in that time.

Are the rads really hot or just warm? Would you know the last time the heating system was flushed? Sludge can build up in the system which will cause problems. I think your fairly confident that there are no problems with the heating system though. Have you ever had the boiler serviced? It sounds like you are using fairly simple on/off controls on your heating system, maybe it would be worth thinking about upgrading the controls to include a timer and thermostat?

Is your attic well insulated? If its not, its a really easy job to do yourself and not too costly but will make a huge difference to heat loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭WHU

Hi UserX, thank you for your reply.
    Sorry in the delay in getting back to you, I checked the atic and where we had work done recently up there, the lazy fcukers had pulled back the insulation in many places so they could work, I have now replaced it all. We also had our boiler serviced I think the combination of both has solved the problem.
    Thanks again

Advertisement