Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Flavoured Vodkas

Options
  • 17-12-2009 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Iv heard good things about these, apple, orange etc. flavoured vodkas.

Any recommendations? Thoughts?

And more importantly, where to get my hands on them?

The OH is Polish but not much of a drinker, so has no idea where to find the stuff.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I've tried Zubrowka vodka which is a bison grass vodka. It's not flavoured as such but it's amazing with some apple juice. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I've tried Zubrowka vodka which is a bison grass vodka. It's not flavoured as such but it's amazing with some apple juice. Enjoy!

That vodka is so good, it's really nice with orange juice too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I'm afraid I've no idea about Polish vodkas but I know Smirnoff have various flavours. Well I've seen them in the bars in America. I couldn't believe it! Plus in NZ they had Kiwi flavoured vodka mad!

Off licenses probably wouldn't have a large stock of them or even any. You may have to check online and buy some that way if you are able to?

Hope you find what you are looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I was in one of my OH's friends houses over the weekend and asked him about Zubrowka, he had some and was more than happy to let me try some, amazing stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Oh and it's not Polish, but Absolut do flavoured vodkas too, the Citron one seems to be most popular- most of the bars and off licences have it and it's €17 a bottle in Dunnes right now. They do other flavours too but I've never tried them. I've heard the raspberry one is very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Zubrowka is not only good but also quite easy to find in Ireland, most decent off-licences will stock it. A common Polish way to drink it is with apple juice, preferably good quality cloudy apple juice, and the name varies by region. It is usually called either tatanka or szarlotka (Apple Pie) , although I have also heard it called 'zubry w sadzie' which translates as bisons in orchard .

The danger is that (especially with good quality juice) you can drink it way too easily! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Honestly, I drank it straight and found it just fine. I wouldnt trust the stuff though, too easy for my liking lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Drinking vodka straight is the best way! :D

Wódka Żołądkowa Gorzka is my favourite, it's so nice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wódka_Żołądkowa_Gorzka

Actually, I'm going to go to the shop to get some now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Not a flavour you can really put your finger on, but certainly falvoured.
    AFC_1903 wrote: »
    A common Polish way to drink it is with apple juice, preferably good quality cloudy apple juice, and the name varies by region. It is usually called either tatanka or szarlotka (Apple Pie)
    Interesting as I thought it tasted exactly like apple tarts when mixed with apple juice, and so did mates of mine, it is like cinammon or something. Good juice is important, I would only go for pressed apple juice, apple juice & normal vodka is popular in scandinavia and I was drinking it for a good while before having the bison grass vodka. My brother had the vodka and does not drink it neat much and could not find any of his usual mixers to go with it, coke, 7up, club orange, but then I tried the apple juice.
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I'm afraid I've no idea about Polish vodkas but I know Smirnoff have various flavours.
    Most polish guys I have met would turn their nose up at smirnoff.

Skyy vodka was going for €15 a bottle in tesco the other day, probably still on. It is not flavoured, in fact the most flavourless vodka I have ever tasted, developed specifically for the lack of hangover, i.e. they actually bother to really purify it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zubrowka
    Because bison grass contains the toxic compound coumarin, which is prohibited as a food additive by the Food and Drug Administration, importing of Żubrówka into the United States was banned in 1978 by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

When produced according to traditional methods (between one and two kilograms of grass per thousand litres of alcohol), Żubrówka contains approximately 12 milligrams of coumarin per litre. In 1999, Polish distilleries introduced reformulated U.S.-export versions of the product, sometimes using artificial flavours and colours, always with the emblematic blade of grass in every bottle, but "neutralised" and coumarin-free.

Advertisement