Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doping is soccer

• 17-12-2009 6:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered what the feeling is on this story

CSKA Moscow pair Sergei Ignashevich and Aleksei Berezutsky have been banned for one match after failing a dope test.
    Uefa also fined CSKA fined 25,000 euros for not adhering to anti-doping rules.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8418615.stm

I come from a cycling backround and there a 2 year ban would be considered standard......................................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I know it's probably a different power that handed the ban to Ferdinand, but he got 9 months for missing a test,

these lads take a test and fail it and get a 1 game ban? great message to be sending out if this is the standard now, sure it's more of a ban for a straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

From what i gather it was just a matter of a form not being filled out and the banned substance was not performance enhancing so not a big deal tbh. They got a match ban to serve as a 'reminder' to all other clubs id imagine.

daithijjj wrote: »
    From what i gather it was just a matter of a form not being filled out and the banned substance was not performance enhancing so not a big deal tbh. They got a match ban to serve as a 'reminder' to all other clubs id imagine.

Was it a similar story to Paddy Kenny then? or do you know what the difference was there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Worth reading the article.

Two lads took some medicine for a cold while away on international duty and someone in the club's office didn't inform UEFA.
    A Uefa spokesman said the offence "was not a case of intentional doping to improve performance"

Mockadious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

IMO the ban was harsh, it was a f*ck up by a doctor, after they took cold medicine. Not drugs, not a banned substance, just a clerical error.

• Advertisement

Mockadious

I've seen you use this a few times now and it's bugging me :D what is it or what does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I've seen you use this a few times now and it's bugging me :D what is it or what does it mean?

Jeez flak from all angels today. Got grief about my use of tasty earlier and now this.

Basically an adjective formed from the word mockery.
    Generally meaning extremely silly, expect sillier and more pointless.

In this case it was a criticism of a nothing story.

Was it a similar story to Paddy Kenny then? or do you know what the difference was there?

Not sure to be honest. Did kenny not take something on his own whereas the medicine these lads took was given by the team doctor who happened to forget to fill the right form out?.........kennys ban was a bit harsh imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Not sure to be honest. Did kenny not take something on his own whereas the medicine these lads took was given by the team doctor who happened to forget to fill the right form out?.........kennys ban was a bit harsh imo.

yeah kenny took his on his own and didnt tell anyone, these guys were given something which they didnt know about

i have no sympathy for Kenny

they are given every year a list of stuff that they cannot use and are told that if they get any medicine at all, they have to run it by the club doctor first, or at least inform him after

kenny did none of these

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Brien wrote: »
    IMO the ban was harsh, it was a f*ck up by a doctor, after they took cold medicine. Not drugs, not a banned substance, just a clerical error.
    Brien cold medicine's are drugs !!
    And it was a banned substance (on the WADA list of banned substances).!!

And thats if you believe their story..............

I don't know the exact substance but it's probably pseudoephidrine or ephidrine both of which occur in low doses in cough medication but also are available as stand alone drugs at higher doses.
    And they are performance enhancing...

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    yeah kenny took his on his own and didnt tell anyone, these guys were given something which they didnt know about

they are given every year a list of stuff that they cannot use and are told that if they get any medicine at all, they have to run it by the club doctor first, or at least inform him after

kenny did none of these

I think 9 months was over the top to be honest, did stam not get get 4 months for taking something much worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I think 9 months was over the top to be honest, did stam not get get 4 months for taking something much worse?

dont know about stam, but that was a different FA so cant comment really

ah its a long time but they usually do that to set a precedent

RobFowl wrote: »
    Brien cold medicine's are drugs !!
    And it was a banned substance (on the WADA list of banned substances).!!

And thats if you believe their story..............

I don't know the exact substance but it's probably pseudoephidrine or ephidrine both of which occur in low doses in cough medication but also are available as stand alone drugs at higher doses.

Tea, coffee and beer contain stimulants.

Id guesstimate that cycling is a much more rigorous testing procedure and stiffer penalties. Sure the uefa spokesman has practically said they are innocent and it was just a clerical issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

tbh I dont think footballers would be taking as much performance enhancing drugs as some other sports.

By far I think Rugby players get away with lot more. Some those boys take stuff that really is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OP did you read what they were banned for?

cold and flu medicine. It says Sudofed, the active ingredient of which is pseudoephedrine. I don't even think its even a stimulant like the journalists have reported, one of the main side effects is drowsiness and fatigue. Such typical sh*te tabloid journalism.

Didn't see this post. You have a link? I think it's more that it is used to mask the presence of other substances (like a hell of a lot of other over-the-counter medicines can). Never heard of it being used as a performance enhancer before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

event wrote: »

kenny did none of these

You need a glass of coke or something to take away your bitterness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

OP did you read what they were banned for?

cold and flu medicine. It says Sudofed, the active ingredient of which is pseudoephedrine. I don't even think its even a stimulant like the journalists have reported, one of the main side effects is drowsiness and fatigue. Such typical sh*te tabloid journalism.
    The difficulty with sudofed is that it is a brand name which is used for different combinations of drugs in different countries, thus it is not clear what the substance they actually tested positive for actually was
    Didn't see this post. You have a link? I think it's more that it is used to mask the presence of other substances (like a hell of a lot of other over-the-counter medicines can). Never heard of it being used as a performance enhancer before.
    "Pseudoephedrine
    Pseudoephedrine will be reintroduced to the List.
    Until 2003, pseudoephedrine was prohibited in sport. It has been included in WADA’s Monitoring Program annually from 2004 on. (The Monitoring Program includes substances that are not prohibited in sport but are monitored by anti-doping laboratories in order to detect patterns of misuse.)
    Results of the Monitoring Program over the past five years have shown a sustained increase in samples containing pseudoephedrine. The Program indicated clear abuse of this substance with high concentrations in a number of sports and regions. In addition, available literature shows scientific evidence of the performance-enhancing effects of pseudoephedrine beyond certain doses.
    Based on the results of the Monitoring Program, as well as scientific literature and results of controlled excretion studies conducted by WADA, pseudoephedrine will be prohibited above 150 micrograms per millilitre."
    http://www.wada-ama.org/en/Science-Medicine/Prohibited-List/QA-on-2010-Prohibited-List/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know it's probably a different power that handed the ban to Ferdinand, but he got 9 months for missing a test,
    Seperate issue, but missing a test has to have an equal or bigger ban than failign one, otherwise anyoen thats knows they will fail will just "miss" the test instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stekelly wrote: »
    Seperate issue, but missing a test has to have an equal or bigger ban than failign one, otherwise anyoen thats knows they will fail will just "miss" the test instead.

Or just a two week fine if you are not a well known player.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In addition, available literature shows scientific evidence of the performance-enhancing effects of pseudoephedrine beyond certain doses.

Interesting, I was pretty sure that had been disproven (and having overdosed on it for the last two weeks I noticed myself feeling a lot more fatigued, although i guess when your sick it's hard to pinpoint causes) . Heck a google returns 'possibly by masking fatigue' which sounds suspiciously like the behaviour of your standard placebo :rolleyes: You'd have though someone as important as WADA would make the studies they base their decisions on readily accessible. All google returns is that stupid sound byte.

• Advertisement
Advertisement