Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installed ubuntu but no driver for my wireless card

• 17-12-2009 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

After several unsuccessful attempts I finally managed to get some form of linux installed on a laptop. Only problem is the there's no driver available for my wireless card so its fairly useless at the moment. Does this mean I'll have to get a ubuntu compatible wireless dongle? If so can someone reccomend one which definitely works on my machine (running ubuntu 9.10).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

what machine you on, have you connected to net via Ethernet and then click admin/hardware drivers it should scan then download the relevant driver if supported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dc82

Hi Bobby,

No I haven't tried that yet. Ill find an ethernet cable and try it later.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Have you tried the ndis wrapper? Not ideal but you might be able to use the windows driver

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

what wireless card have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If it's a Broadcom chip, you might want to look at this. NDISwrapper might work, but I'd consider it a last resort if you can get a native driver.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 V1P3R

If is it a broadcom chip, you can get the driver for ubuntu here. http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

There is a readme on that link as well that tells you how to install it.

Advertisement