Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Frusciante leaves chilli peppers

Options
  • 17-12-2009 6:17pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.nme.com/news/red-hot-chili-peppers/48928
    John Frusciante has confirmed his departure from Red Hot Chili Peppers, revealing he actually quit the band over a year ago.

A source close to the band hinted Frusciante had left earlier this week, though the news hadn't been confirmed until now.

Blogging on JohnFrusciante.com, the guitarist said he did not fall out with his bandmates and remains on good terms with them.
    Jaysus. I can't see a point to them at all any more after this!

Navarro free again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

hmmm, if anyone was going to leave, I would have thought it would have been Smith.

It woul;dn't be the same even with Navarro. Great and all as he is, he's no Frusciante.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Jeez, however will they continue on without him? It's not as if they had 4 albums without him or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lex87

Wow......this comes as a bit of a surprise. Or maybe not. RHCP barely survived losing him the first time, I'd have to think that they won't be as fortunate a second time. When he quit in 1992 the band basically fell into an elevator shaft until he came back in 98'. Nothing against Dave Navarro or Arik Marshall but neither really filled the void.

It'll be interesting to see what JF will do now. His solo catalog is already quite prolific (Shadows Collide with People and To record only water for 10 days are brilliant albums....The Empyrean is up there too).

framed posters

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He's an incredible guitarist all the same. His sound is RHCP for me. Of course I'm biased by being a guitarist who learned a lot from frusciante licks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I agree, dr.bollocko (coming from a bassist heavily influenced by Flea :D) RHCP will never be the same again. Josh Klinghoffer simply won't be able to compare to John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

shame he left all the same but it always seemed like he was ready to leave with all those solo albums etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

meh, they'd been bland since californication anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Exactly RHCP and Foo fighters have both just become backround music.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The last two albums really did nothing for me, I didn't even bother listening after the first time I heard them :o

Very sad to see him gone. I really did like him and his style. Went to see 'em about 5 times back in the day... 2001 onwards. Good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Exactly RHCP and Foo fighters have both just become backround music.

Both bands are just music to play in supermarkets nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Or as background music to MTV Cribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

How could anyone ever get tired of writing/playing songs about Califorina everyday for sixteen straight years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

True enough but secretly hoped they had one good album left in them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

to be honest I've had the opinion that they gave up as a band a long time ago - they just haven't had any spark and the last couple of albums have been drivel.....he's probably just had too much of being part of a dinosaur that's not really doing much anymore....

maybe they will come storming back in a few years, but right now I think I'd prefer if they didn't release anything for a while and got some focus....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

How could anyone ever get tired of writing/playing songs about Califorina everyday for sixteen straight years ?

mule they bn doin it since late '70s possibly.. - 26yrs at least - i grew up on '80s chili material they were big fun then, right up to Blood Sugar - just Disneyrock now are they not?! has anyone forgotten Hillel Slovak their original guitarist whose style determined Frusciante's early input? just remember groups do quit; the majority of em but these are mega-popular n Keidis is a very fit extravert who'd miss the workout n you'd have to imagine anything he does flea would be involved.. is there a new guitarist?

i'll still miss em - most groups who cemented emselves in the 80s, the truly original wave of breaking boundaries. golden age whatever - stuff's so marketed now n airbrushed n faux-underground christ man thank fook i can delve into the vaults. kids/new groups have no grounds to suggest their elders had it timid as everything's so sanitized now. that decade of debauchery/creativity cannot be topped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

His solo work has been far superior to any RHCP's album imho. Now bring on some Frusciante solo tours.

Surprised Klinghoffer is bothered joining them, him and Frusciante have created some amazing stuff together, they should stick at it. Some more Ataxia would be nice.

Amazing singer/songwriter and needs to stay doing his own thing, there is no need for RHCP anymore.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Lex87 wrote: »
    Wow......this comes as a bit of a surprise. Or maybe not. RHCP barely survived losing him the first time, I'd have to think that they won't be as fortunate a second time. When he quit in 1992 the band basically fell into an elevator shaft until he came back in 98'. Nothing against Dave Navarro or Arik Marshall but neither really filled the void.

It'll be interesting to see what JF will do now. His solo catalog is already quite prolific (Shadows Collide with People and To record only water for 10 days are brilliant albums....The Empyrean is up there too).

framed posters

His doing a bit with Venetian Snares whether they release anything is another thing, his big into his electronic music,which is not surprising due to the way he plays the guitar - i gather his a person who likes "sounds" which is why he would be into synths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ShroomPicker

LD 50 wrote: »
    hmmm, if anyone was going to leave, I would have thought it would have been Smith.

It woul;dn't be the same even with Navarro. Great and all as he is, he's no Frusciante.

I know I'm in the minority here... but One Hot Minute is my fave Chili's album. Let the flaming commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I know I'm in the minority here... but One Hot Minute is my fave Chili's album. Let the flaming commence.

Nah, to be honest I just think it's so different that it's hard to compare. Not a bad album by any means though.

It's a pity in a way to see him leave, but they've been heading down in quality for a while now, and his solo stuff is pretty great, so hopefully we'll see some more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im a big fan of the RHCP's and great to hear that they are working on a new album atm but from what I read Some of the songs have pianos and it seems to be something different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've been a fan of RHCP for a good while but never got round to seeing them live so this is bad news :( But on the good side.....Soundgarden are gona be back....:D

and some balance is restored to the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lex87

His doing a bit with Venetian Snares whether they release anything is another thing, his big into his electronic music,which is not surprising due to the way he plays the guitar - i gather his a person who likes "sounds" which is why he would be into synths!
    Thanks for the info Empirix! I was not aware of this!
    I've been a fan of RHCP for a good while but never got round to seeing them live so this is bad news frown.gif But on the good side.....Soundgarden are gona be back....biggrin.gif

and some balance is restored to the universe.
    Shame you never got to see them live with John. I only saw them once, 9 years ago at the Key arena in Seattle. They opened for Pearl Jam that night. Amazing set (even though it was only 50
    minutes). As for Soundgarden coming back.......I look forward to it. It'll be
    interesting to see if they make any new music or if it'll just be a reunion tour and old songs.

framed posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

No doubt John was a major part of the band, but agree with some posters that since califonication they have done nothing for me.

I'm probably in the minority who thought one hot minute was a step in the right direction and is still one of my all time favourites, any one see them in the point on that tour :eek:
    Edit : I see some one else about also likes OHM

BSSM was their triumph imo. Would love to see a some what less polished album from them, as everything from 2000 sounds a bit samey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Lex87 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Empirix! I was not aware of this!

Shame you never got to see them live with John. I only saw them once, 9 years ago at the Key arena in Seattle. They opened for Pearl Jam that night. Amazing set (even though it was only 50
    minutes). As for Soundgarden coming back.......I look forward to it. It'll be
    interesting to see if they make any new music or if it'll just be a reunion tour and old songs.

framed posters

No worries - you might find this interesting!
    http://www.ravetalk.co.uk/forum/john-frusciante-venetian-snares-jamming-bfw-t6546.html

Advertisement