Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everyone should be using this...

• 17-12-2009 6:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you have not already heard, Google Chrome is the new Browser from Google.

It's lightning quick and is fantastic to use - I've been using it for ages. However, it has now got extensions just like Firefox, but they are way better. I think for people into Photogrphy and Image Editing etc this is defintely worth looking at.

Here are my favorite Extensions:

Picnick Image Editor: Picnick brilliant integrates into Chrome and with one click you can be editing any image on a web page and then save to file or upload to even save to Flickr etc – absolutely invaluable.

SlideShow: This is one of the best, more impressive and also useful extensions I found. This turns any page with images or a gallery – into a beautifil fullscreen slideshow. Works great with Facebook, Flickr, Google Images and many more.

FitFlickr: Extension for enhancing the awesome photo sharing site, Flickr. Adds keyboard shortcuts, tag autocomplete, a lightbox for large previews, quick access to EXIF data, easily copy Flic.kr short URL to the clipboard, and a page action that allows you to easily get from a Flickr image URL back to it's photo page.

Direct Google Images: Bypass the original page and go straight to the image on a Google image search.

Here are a few other random ones I like too.
    Hope this helps :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Zascar wrote: »
    However, it has now got extensions just like Firefox, but they are way better.

Not meaning to derail the thread but AFAIK you can get add ons that do exactly the same as these for Firefox...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Frankly I'll make my own decisions about which browser I use, thanks.

duffarama wrote: »
    Frankly I'll make my own decisions about which browser I use, thanks.
    Nothing wrong with him making reccomendations and educating people about whats available. :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes you can probably get Firefox to do much the same, but I challenge you to try Chrome - the way the whole browser works especially the extensions, is far far better. I used to thing Firefox was the best thing since slides bread but now I'm totally on the chrome train.

Duffarama untwist your panties I'm only making a suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

This thread needs a pic...:D:D
    train-wreck-big2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I have it but found it very slow. FF for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I like chrome. I do.

But my line of work means I can't use just one browser and know that from experience it's near to impossible to force people to use the same browser as yourself.

Dare I say chrome vs. firefox is a little like canon vs. nikon?
    P.s no camera manufactuer will be compared to IE :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I'm using Opera at the moment and am fairly happy with it. I tried Chrome when it first came out but had problems with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Chorcai wrote: »
    I have it but found it very slow. FF for me.

Really? All the speed tests done when it was release put it ahead of all the others - plus its on v4 now and many improvements have been made. I find it brilliant, especially starting up - Firefox takes a while to load, even IE is quicker. But the thing was that when you have a load of extensions it got pretty slow. Have not noticed any slowdown with Chrome at all. The way the extensions work is fantastic, you don't even need to restart the browser (always annoyed me with FF). It's only crashed on me once, FF used to crash a fair bit. Chome uses Sandboxes so if one tab crashes, you just loose that one and not the whole browser like on FF

Anyhoo, each to their own but I recommend if you have time check out the latest version and play some some extensions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm currently trialling Chrome, and to be honest I have ditched it for a while. I think the look and feel of it is wicked, but it's quite buggy. After long periods of use it crashes on certain web pages and the only way to fix it is either close down the browser, maybe try clearing the cache, sometimes it required a reboot. I'll stick with Firefox for now as it's my overall favourite. Although, I actually prefer safaris interface, but it just lacks a few features that firefox gives me.

I say give it about 6 months and then it will be hard to justify not using Chrome. But it's not quite there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You need to get the beta channel version to enable extensions. I'd recommend it though - it's a great browser and converted me from a firefox fanatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

its rapid fast on linux compared to firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I like chrome. I do.

But my line of work means I can't use just one browser and know that from experience it's near to impossible to force people to use the same browser as yourself.

I wouldn't dare compare a browser to IE. Be like comparing a Vivatar compact with a Hassleblad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm a committed chrome, ie, firefox, and skyfire, opera (on mobile) user. Ok, ok, i'm fickle :D

Have to say although it crashes about three times a day on vista that Chrome I find is best in class for what I like doing. When it crashes, it recovers great and resets everything up. With the last update it's even restarted without you noticing that its crashed (clever little beast).

My chrome use is about 80%, IE about 15%, and FF about 5%.

Lovin the extensions in Chrome.

In my setup vista, laptop (and only yesterday on a netbook/ubuntu) chrome is just like opera used to be in the early days of IE3 or 4 - blindingly fast.

Quirks and all, yada yada, my personal opinion of it is that it is great and that was before it got extensions.

On a website I have the fun of being responsible for with reasonably substantial traffic from > 1/2million unique users thus far 2009, the reality (for this site) is;

MSIE 71.92%
    FIREFOX 14.60%
    SAFARI 6.64%
    CHROME 2.46%
    MOZILLA 2.41%
    MOBILE 1.57%
    OPERA 0.37%
    UNKNOWN Less than 0.1%

I'm not sure how this might be compared with elsewhere but it is the experience I can report. Chrome is newish so it is probably unfair to compare.

I'm one of the 2.46% Add that to my love and use of pentax photographic equipment and i'm probably getting to the point of being fairly unique :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I <3 Chrome. I cannot WAIT till the OS version come out!

Purely from a design point of view - on a quick check - top-of-page browser space on a standard layout: IE8 - 140 px, FF3.whatever-it-is - 85px, Chrome - 50 px. Think of all that above the fold space you're losing peoples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Sony :D

sineadw wrote: »
    Purely from a design point of view - on a quick check - top-of-page browser space on a standard layout: IE8 - 140 px, FF3.whatever-it-is - 85px, Chrome - 50 px. Think of all that above the fold space you're losing peoples!

Spend a few seconds re aragning and you can get a small FF layout too :pac:

2wgrhiw.png

96w6s3.png

Advertisement