Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Insulation

• 17-12-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I've got noisy neighbours..well they're not that noisy but the walls are THIN! Music playing, coughing, talking etc crystal clear :(

Is there some kind of sound insulation material I can buy to put over the walls? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Its always good to do a search first......have a look here.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=9637474

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Conor108 wrote: »
    I've got noisy neighbours..well they're not that noisy but the walls are THIN! Music playing, coughing, talking etc crystal clear :(

Is there some kind of sound insulation material I can buy to put over the walls? Any recommendations?

Air is best, its hard for sound to travel through air. If its that much of a problem, the best way would be to build a new wooden stud wall at neighbors side but don't fix it to the original wall, leave a gap (bigger the better). Stuff the new wall with rock wool and slab it off with special sound board (dense plaster board).

If you cant build a new stud wall, you can fix special metal resilient channel to the existing neighbor wall and slab onto the channel with the same, sound board. The channel is a special type which minimizes sound vibration due to minimal fixing to offending wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Lucyspell

The owner of the semi detached house ajoining our house, installed laminate flooring in the upstairs bedrooms. The house is rented. Although the occupiers at the moment are reasonably quiet, no music at night etc, we still hear every little sound from the floor. It really affects my ability to sleep, as even a plug dropped next door, resonates through from one floor to the other.
    I am wondering if I have any right to ask the owner to remove the laminate, and replace with carpet. I know this would solve the problem, but I also know she has spent money now on the laminate and will be loath to undo it.
    If we went for soundproofing, I imagine the area under the floorboards would be particularly important, but what could we do without taking up the floor?
    Any advice very appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Build4less.ie

You do have the right to ask but weather they do it or not is another thing. I presume it is a timberframe house you live in? This is a serious problem with all timberframe houses. There are solutions to this problem but it is costly and takes up space you need in your room to dampen the sounds. Rockwool rollbatt is one option as it is a dense material or Moy Isover Acoustic roll is probably a bit better and neither are too expensive. You can then slab with a gypsum sound block board. Make sure to leave a space between the partywall stud and your new one.

You may need to check your fire protection aswell as if you have sound problems travelling you will also have fire travelling also as insulation and fire protection compliment each other and if your insulation is down well so is your fire protection.

Build4less

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

There are solutions to this problem but it is costly and takes up space you need in your room to dampen the sounds. Rockwool rollbatt is one option as it is a dense material or Moy Isover Acoustic roll is probably a bit better and neither are too expensive. You can then slab with a gypsum sound block board. Make sure to leave a space between the partywall stud and your new one.

Thsi is a type of solution for airborne sound transmission. Lucyspell's problem relates to impact sound transmission from her neighbours floor. In an ideal world her neighbour wouldn't have been allowed to put in a laminate floor without adequate impact sound insulation.

Lucyspell - It is a very difficult if not impossible problem to deal with from your side in isolation. Perhaps you should contact an acoustic consultant. They should be able to advise what options are open to you - legal or otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement