Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore One-way system

Options
  • 17-12-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what happened to the one-way system that was supposed to start in November?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

thats what I assumed as they the date of the 6/11 (I think) in the munster , in two minds if its a good plan so not too worried if it never happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah the Council were supposed to bring in the one-way system in November but the area engineer was sick for a week or 2 so they now intend to bring in the system by 1st February 2010.

As long as its not too cold, may have to leave it to the summer just like the tar and chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

i think the fact that the council dont have enough money to even by the road signs never mind anything else might have more do with it than people being out sick.
    its not even needed anyway

I think the Council have the money set aside for this though and it's not like it will cost a fortune. A few new signs need to be put up and maybe some new road markings and that's it really. Local businesses and the Town Councillors think the system is needed anyway. I think the idea is to free up more parking to allow for better access to the shops in the town centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dm69

I think the Council have the money set aside for this though and it's not like it will cost a fortune. A few new signs need to be put up and maybe some new road markings and that's it really. Local businesses and the Town Councillors think the system is needed anyway. I think the idea is to free up more parking to allow for better access to the shops in the town centre.

i think is is estimated to cost around 18k which is more than the coucil have. the money which had been set aside was used on the waterford road after they made a balls of it at first go.
    On the subject of parking if all the hairdressers and estate agents stopped parking outside there own shops it would help the parking issue. people seem to forget the huge carpark in supervalu located in the town centre but people are to lazy ass to walk:mad:

dm69 wrote: »
    i think is is estimated to cost around 18k which is more than the coucil have. the money which had been set aside was used on the waterford road after they made a balls of it at first go.
    If that's the case then the Council deliberately lied when they said the system would be in place in November. Or else they though they had enough money, annouced a date, and then realised it cost more than what they have. In which case it makes them look incompetent. Not they aren't already after the Tramore Road fiasco, and the waste of money on that ugly 'art' sculpture across the road from the Majestic.
    dm69 wrote: »
    On the subject of parking if all the hairdressers and estate agents stopped parking outside there own shops it would help the parking issue. people seem to forget the huge carpark in supervalu located in the town centre but people are to lazy ass to walk:mad:
    Yeah that's true alright but I think businesses in the area are trying to encourage their staff to park at SuperValu or Priests Road car parks. For people who are at their place of work for the day I don't know why they wouldn't just walk to work anyway, the town centre is no more than 5-10 minutes walk from most places in the town.

Theres ample parking in the town for the local businesses so I just don't see the real benefit here , now if it was to make it safer and more pleasant for pedestrians both local and visitors then I'd be all for it but its just replacing moving cars with parked in a town with the worst roads, pathways and pedestrian crossings , well then I consider it very poorly planned and a waste of resources. No doubt they'll still go over budget on their 18k estimate , but I'll hold judgement if it will have many positives for the residents.

for anyone who isnt aware the one way goes into effect on Monday, spoke to the council workers putting up the signs today

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

There's a notice on the front page of the Munster Excuse but I think there's a typo. Makes some reference to the junction of Strand Street and Patrick Street. WTF? Anyway, it kicks in on Monday next, 1st Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

theres a new 1 way system on the road out of tramore!

cause theres f.a out there worth turning around for....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 McDonald

the council told me that they didn't play any part in the decision,that it was the gardai who came up with the plan.The Gardai told me that they hadn't a clue about it?????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

McDonald wrote: »
    the council told me that they didn't play any part in the decision,that it was the gardai who came up with the plan.The Gardai told me that they hadn't a clue about it?????

Council decided on it and took the feedback on it. Its been all over the press and the Gardai would have been made aware of their plans.

McDonald wrote: »
    lol, the council are the only authority allowed to introduce the system, of course they played a part in the decision! and the garda behind the desk might not know about it but the chief super certainly does, the gardai also want this system in place. town councillors, waterford co. council & local business people came up with the plan and local residents had a chance to make submissions. this plan has been in the pipeline for the last 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Now people will be able to double park outside the bank and the chipper, think how much time that will save them. :rolleyes:

lol, the council are the only authority allowed to introduce the system, of course they played a part in the decision! and the garda behind the desk might not know about it but the chief super certainly does, the gardai also want this system in place. town councillors, waterford co. council & local business people came up with the plan and local residents had a chance to make submissions. this plan has been in the pipeline for the last 4 or 5 years.

Why would the Gardai want a one way system, can't see it making any difference as they don't enforce current illegal parking.
    I hope it does benefit the town but the cycnic in me feels its only to boost the value of the main st commercial premises and is off no real benefit to the residents except it will be quicker to get a bag of chips, its probably will end up unsafer as vision will be impaired on both sides with parked cars, and this in a town with broken footpaths.
    Hope I'm proved wrong though

rasper wrote: »
    Why would the Gardai want a one way system, can't see it making any difference as they don't enforce current illegal parking.
    i think the gardai wanted the one-way system due to safety reasons, the system is supposed to be safer for motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

So what is the actual one way system?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Main street becomes one way from the off license down to the AIB. You can't drive up by the Grand Hotel from main street now either. Driving up onto Queen St from Tivoli is also one way, you can't connect to Queen St this way anymore.

That's pretty much it, there is probably something down by the library im missing tho.

• Advertisement

So its been in action almost a business week now , does anyone have any opinions , I would like someone to fill me in on the benefits of the one way direction only down Strand st (post office junction down hill) seeing that there the businesses there won't really benefit from extra parking(AIB,Kebab house, hairdresser, Seahorse & Murphs) and it could easily work against them.

I was driving in Tramore today. Going down Main Street was easy with the traffic only going in one direction (or maybe it just wasn't very busy) and I got parking just up from the V cafe (I was chauffering someone to Dr Collins surgery).
    That was fine, but then I needed to go across to the library - I would normally have walked but see above about chauffering. To get to the library I had to go to the bottom of Strand Street and turn right. Apart from the mirror, this is a totally blind, narrow corner. I went up Gallways hill and did a tight (and also slightly blind) turn onto Church Road. When I got up to the Square the parking was crazy, and cars wandering round trying to get a place. It needs some/better lining up there. Luckily I found a place or I would have had to abandon my passenger and drive all the way round the block again.
    It will be interesting to see how it is in the summer with the visitors around. It is really not all that obvious how you get to the top end of the town from the seafront.

looksee wrote: »
    I was driving in Tramore today. Going down Main Street was easy with the traffic only going in one direction (or maybe it just wasn't very busy) and I got parking just up from the V cafe (I was chauffering someone to Dr Collins surgery).
    That was fine, but then I needed to go across to the library - I would normally have walked but see above about chauffering. To get to the library I had to go to the bottom of Strand Street and turn right. Apart from the mirror, this is a totally blind, narrow corner. I went up Gallways hill and did a tight (and also slightly blind) turn onto Church Road. When I got up to the Square the parking was crazy, and cars wandering round trying to get a place. It needs some/better lining up there. Luckily I found a place or I would have had to abandon my passenger and drive all the way round the block again.
    It will be interesting to see how it is in the summer with the visitors around. It is really not all that obvious how you get to the top end of the town from the seafront.

Follow the blue arrows.. Then your lost at the top of the hill as if there is no signs for tourists.

Ill be updating the maps anyway before the season starts which will help a bit.

That whole area around the Grand Hotel /Library is way too cluttered because of the Post Office. Sean Martin and his wonderful crew are in a reasonably central part of the town for pedestrians but it's chaos for motorists. The Post Office needs to be relocated to an area with sufficient space for short-term parking. Up by the Summerhill Centre, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Now people will be able to double park outside the bank and the chipper, think how much time that will save them. :rolleyes:

The BOI is moving up by the jewellers

wellboy76 wrote: »
    The BOI is moving up by the jewellers
    Are the jewellers still trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Hopefully so, heard they were doing very well

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mommam

The jewellers is great have got a few pressies in there was badly needed IMO.. the only place I think should have had a one way is by the church!! its mental there

Agree with you about the jewellers, elegant and pleasant place.

• Advertisement

Mommam wrote: »
    the only place I think should have had a one way is by the church!! its mental there

Would be grand if there was no parking op there outside the church ,its too narrow up there and hazardous for everyone with people trying to pull in/out with vision blocked from all sides

Advertisement