Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first SLR purchase is tomrrow? Quick question...

• 17-12-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading from a Panansonic Lumix FZ 18 to a Canon 1000d tomorrow. The dealer is replacing the standard lens with a Stabelizing? lens as a deal. I'll still be paying 549 versus 499 in Harvey Normans. Is the extra 50 worth it for the other lens. I'm really new to this so i don't know what extra I'm getting but i'm keen to buy off the dealer, Cameraworld in Cork, purely for a back up service.

Also is there anything else i should know before buying this Model. I did as much research as a could and it seems to get good reviews for an entry level SLR. I really can't afford to pay more for a better model. Is 10m pixels enough considering i won't be blowing up the photos? Is the Canon half day course helpful? Sorry about all the questions or if i break forum rules. I'm excited, yet nervous in case i waste a shed load of money on a wrong product.

Thanks for any advice or help
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

To answer most of your questions - Yes.

IS (Image Stabilisation) can be very useful.
    Yes, the half day course is a good intro to the camera.
    10mp is just fine. Even some of the top level cameras (1D MkIII) is only 10mp. It's not simply about the mp.

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

BrianJD wrote: »
    I'm excited, yet nervous in case i waste a shed load of money on a wrong product.

by choosing to buy Canon you are fulfilling your own prophecy....

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Barname wrote: »
    by choosing to buy Canon you are fulfilling your own prophecy....

:pac:

Disregard that. Canon & Nikon are the two market leaders & they don't make bad cameras.

The IS is worth getting. The Sensor at 10MP is fine. The Sensor resolution is not as big an issues as some sales people make out.

Get them to throw in a good quality UV Filter to protect your lens & you will be sweet.

The half day course will assist you but do not expect too much from it. Still worthwhile having.

Then get out there and start taking Photo's. Many here will help you with that. Start shooting RAW immediately!!!

Good luck & enjoy.

Advertisement