Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k St Stephen's Day road race - Castletown, North Wexford

• 17-12-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭

There's a 10k road race / walk in Castletown St Stephen's Day.
    Haven't got too many details yet, but race starts from The Golden Anchor Pub, with the walk at 1:00pm and the run at 2:00pm.
    Castletown is about 10 minutes from Gorey (near Tara Hill).
    If anybody has any further details please post them up here, or if I hear anything I'll post it.
    Proceeds going to the Hope Centre

motivation for a few Christmas training runs me thinks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Hi Dusty..... yeah i've done this race three times before.... have to say it's an informal race with a capital ''I''...... the race starts at the Anchor and finishes back there, with it being a single lap of the Castletown area.... would be what u would describe as a rollercoaster course, with there being plenty of ups and downs and small drags before a long hill in the final mile.....have to say though that it's a really good course and although is hilly it's very fair....

one thing about the race though..it's called a 10k but is much shorter, with the course being approx 5.9miles.... so u can deffo claim a pb;)

numbers for the last few years have really fallen off due to the 5k race in wicklow on st stephens day, but with this race not being held this year, there has to be a good chance of a few of our wicklow neighbours turning up....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ergo

might pop along to this, am not too far away from it

saw this in an online clip in the Gorey Guardian:
    Road Race

ANCHOR United will hold their annual Charity 10K Road Race/Walk on St. Stephen's Day, from the Golden Anchor in Castletown. The walk starts at 1 p.m. and the race starts at 2 p.m. All proceeds to the Hope Centre.

by the way, roughly what sort of numbers (participants) are we talking here...? I haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Hi Ergo.... unfortunately due to the race in wicklow being on for the last few years, numbers have dropped off in castletown - there was only about 15 ran it last year (was more in the walk i think!!!) but with wicklow not going ahead this year, hopefully it will get 30or 40....as i said it's very informal and low key but is a good run for a blowout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

will be great craic if the ice sticks around!

Thanks for the info bewleys berry, had thought it was pure informal alright and The Anchor is a good pub too ;)

Advertisement