Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Boheme - tasting menu

• 17-12-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

La Boheme are doing a tasting menu for New Year's Eve with music etc. Was interested until I was told the price, €90 each per person for five with no drink!

Seriously, that is nuts!. I went to Zaika, a michelin starred restaurant in London this year and we had a six course (8 including amuse bouche and petit four) with 6 servings of wine and champagne for £59 each. Worked at at €179 in total.

One of the nicest meals I ever had and look what you can get in Waterford (in a recession)!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's mad expensive mainly because it's new years eve. I bet london prices go through the roof too. It's madness going somewhere like that new years eve, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

€35 early bird for you so then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

To be fair to La Boheme they offer great value menus all year round and New Years Eve would be one of the few times that there are probably more customers looking for tables than there are available spaces. It's also - for some people - a night that they like to make a big thing of and go somewhere special. You can't blame the restaurant trade for looking to make the most out of such occasions - God knows business must be fairly crap at the moment. If you don't like what their offering, don't go! I'll be staying at home myself , not a great fan of New Years Eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Was in there two weeks ago and wont be going back, Uncooked risotto, burnt crab brulee, really bad duck confit which is a big knock on the head since its a French restaurant. Really nice place but the food lets it down big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

kayalsurfbum, that's regrettable. I've never had a poorly cooked meal in the 4 or 5 times I've been there. Myself and my partner are food lovers and as far as I'm concerned its the best meal the city has going for it (although La Taverna has won me over completely for a cheaper, Italian meal). Anytime we've chosen to go elsewhere we've really regretted it-- now we just save up, go out less and have a really nice meal at La Boheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I've been to La Boheme twice. First time my three courses were delicious. However my girlfriend ordered one of the specials. It was supposed to have two types of fish. The waitress came out and said that they'd run out of one of the fish but would give her another type of fish if that was ok. She said it was but when the plate came out there was only one fish on it. When mentioning this to the waitress she got a bit angry with the chef and brought back the plate to him. I waited for a couple of minutes and there was no sign of it coming back so I tucked in to my dish before it went cold. About 10 mins later her plate came back, with two types of fish on it. Unfortunately my plate was clean so my girlfriend had to eat alone.

So not a great first impression. This was a couple of years ago so we went back recently to try again after a friend of ours gave it multiple glowing reviews. It was the best meal I had all year. Really top class and completely made up for the previous visit.

So unfortunately it is possible to have a bad night in a great restaurant. I couldn't let that stop me from trying La Boheme again though as I think a poor meal is a rarity there.

Advertisement