Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi S3 - Buying Second Hand - Good buy?

• 17-12-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a few S3's on the web of late.

They've taken my fancy moreso than a GTI or others due to their "sleeper" qualities mainly.
    They're highly specced and apparently good to go (never driven one:o), but I'm just wondering what I should be looking out for when buying.

Any previous owners care to share their experience with me?
    Also can anyone recommend something similar (especially in sleeperishness) performance fun car for around the 10k max mark?
    Not an M3 though.
    Here's two I like the look of, one in the UK.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200951348673064

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3282247

What you think of those two?
    One problem though, the VRT caclulator is not giving me an answer on the UK one, anyone got any ideas of VRT for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

The 1999 would be pre-facelift - so it's had a bit of both wings hacked off to fit the facelift headlights in. This can cause whistling noise if not done properly.

The facelift models are from 2001 on, the lights front and rear changed. The interior was done too, illuminated air vents, double din (option, but mostly taken in S3), steering wheel etc. were done. Looks and feels much much better. The 2001 one you linked to is Nagaro blue, which was a paid-for optional colour, you don't see many of them around. The S3 usually holds the mileage well, but look out for signs of turbo condition. It's around that time you'd be looking at doing some major suspension work too, if it hasn't already been done.

They need a re-map to really feel quick. They lose a bit of power at the wheels due to the Quattro, but the cornering more then makes up for it. They feel nice and planted on the road. A remap will see them to about 240ish BHP, and free lots more torque.

I'd have one every day of the week over a GTI of similar age. They are far and beyond a better car. Not even comparable.

Here's one you might not have seen - http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34552 - at 7.5k it won't stick around long!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MarkN used to have one. PM him to ask him to comment here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's an incredible on in this month's Modified Motors magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

unkel wrote: »
    MarkN used to have one. PM him to ask him to comment here.

Marks was a mk2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I know the history of the '01 one and it got a major overhaul a few months back as there was lots wrong with it, although whatever was needed doing has been attended to by now. It's listed as a private sale but those pics were taken in Beacon Motor Group. It's a fine car and a very unique colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tossy wrote: »
    Marks was a mk2

Ah my bad. Completely different cars obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

Yep the MK1 and MK2 S3's are very different.

I am not talking about the face lift model though.

It would be like talking about a MK5 golf GTi compared to MK4.

Different floor pan, totally new shell and interior, with multi link rear suspension, new engine. very few if any common parts.

Edit, to the OP check for crash damage on these cars, do history checks, I have heard of someone going to look at one and It turned out to have been written off twice!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Seperate wrote: »
    The 1999 would be pre-facelift - so it's had a bit of both wings hacked off to fit the facelift headlights in. This can cause whistling noise if not done properly.

The facelift models are from 2001 on, the lights front and rear changed. The interior was done too, illuminated air vents, double din (option, but mostly taken in S3), steering wheel etc. were done. Looks and feels much much better. The 2001 one you linked to is Nagaro blue, which was a paid-for optional colour, you don't see many of them around. The S3 usually holds the mileage well, but look out for signs of turbo condition. It's around that time you'd be looking at doing some major suspension work too, if it hasn't already been done.

They need a re-map to really feel quick. They lose a bit of power at the wheels due to the Quattro, but the cornering more then makes up for it. They feel nice and planted on the road. A remap will see them to about 240ish BHP, and free lots more torque.

I'd have one every day of the week over a GTI of similar age. They are far and beyond a better car. Not even comparable.

Here's one you might not have seen - http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34552 - at 7.5k it won't stick around long!!

I know it's owner and it's immaculate!One of the best examples around

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buying any used performance car can be tricky. A mistake can be very costly.

By their nature and that of their likely owners they will have been driven quickly for some/all of their lives.

I'd look for huge detail in service history, parts replaced, and money put into the overall upkeep of the vehicle.

That's not to say there aren't some truly exceptional S3's out there - just be thorough and choosy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The 2001 one you linked to is Nagaro blue, which was a paid-for optional colour, you don't see many of them around.

Yep, its a fantastic colour in the metal.
    Audi's Nogaro Blue, Imola Yellow and Misano Red are the die hard S range colours. Chosen by those not looking for sleepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

If your thinking about going over to England this is a great site for performance cars - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/index.asp

Buying any used performance car can be tricky. A mistake can be very costly.

By their nature and that of their likely owners they will have been driven quickly for some/all of their lives.

I'd look for huge detail in service history, parts replaced, and money put into the overall upkeep of the vehicle.

That's not to say there aren't some truly exceptional S3's out there - just be thorough and choosy.

They were built to be driven quickly, they didn't put 225BHP under the bonnet to be driven like you would an Avensis. Once the warranty work and services were carried out at the right times, then there shouldn't be any more risk involved then buying a used Punto.

In my opinion, obviously.

I've driven my brothers S3 a few times and if I had the money right now i'd take that one that i linked to before over any other car for the money. I have a 1.8T A3 at the moment, which would be more in the MK4 Golf GTI category, the S3 is just a whole different level altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They were built to be driven quickly, they didn't put 225BHP under the bonnet to be driven like you would an Avensis. Once the warranty work and services were carried out at the right times, then there shouldn't be any more risk involved then buying a used Punto.

In my opinion, obviously.

I've driven my brothers S3 a few times and if I had the money right now i'd take that one that i linked to before over any other car for the money. I have a 1.8T A3 at the moment, which would be more in the MK4 Golf GTI category, the S3 is just a whole different level altogether.

I understand what you are saying, but accident damage, unwise/destructive mods, and a good ragging are all likely for this class of car.

They always said a used Cossie was the most difficult car to buy - and they were right I reckon. S3's are similar but just more recent.

p.s. I've driven a few quick cars too. Audi's R8 V10 for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200948195971888

Me? Thats what I'd have. Spend the extra few quid on mods and it'l beat any S3 you throw at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you're looking, have a look at this car http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=4851

I know it, and it's a good one!

I understand what you are saying, but accident damage, unwise/destructive mods, and a good ragging are all likely for this class of car.

They always said a used Cossie was the most difficult car to buy - and they were right I reckon. S3's are similar but just more recent.

p.s. I've driven a few quick cars too. Audi's R8 V10 for example.

I know what you mean, but I don't agree. The S3 is not a civic type R or a skyline - it's not an over the top quick car. You don't buy one to drive fast (if you do, you'll be a little disappointed), its a comfortable moderately quick, well spec'd car. Given the price of them new is more then a Golf GTI, I would say the owner-base for them would be of a more mature/enthusiast 'class'

That would be my perception of the model anyway.

Me? Thats what I'd have. Spend the extra few quid on mods and it'l beat any S3 you throw at it.

Until you come to a corner or the road is bit wet :)

The inside of them is like chalk and cheese, the S3 has the nice leather recaros, nice dash plastics and the likes of that. Hence the price difference i suppose. I do like the LCR's though - but i'd still have the 2001 silver S3 for 1500eur less!

S3 v leon Cupra R (im a huge fan of cupras) but their is no comparison,the Leon will suffer from woeful torque steer and will never be able to put the power down if you plan to spend money tuning it.

The leon cupra is essentially a MK4 golf so it drives like one,albeit it with better suspension as standard,the S3 however like other MK4 based 4wd cars such as the R32,V6 4mo and Quattro TT has a rear independent suspension set up so the driving characteristics are night and day when compared with the 2wd mk4 chassis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Cheers lads, some interesting points there.
    Yeah I would be wary of buying a nearly 10yo hot hatch type car, because lets be honest, you don't buy them to pootle down to the shops and back.

So obviously a full and detailed service history is a must, and suspension has to be closely looked at.
    Anybody know MPG figures for town driving?I'd imagine it's low 20's maybe??

That one linked to on octane.ie looks nice, but that blue one I linked in my first post is a very nice looking machine I must say.Bit steep though pricewise.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming.

I can't see the one on VAGdrivers, have to join up n all that business.Anybody have a linky to it anywhere else please?Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Ah yes, the poverty spec irish market cupra R, no brembo's and 17" alloys :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

steve06 wrote: »
    If you're looking, have a look at this car http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=4851

I know it, and it's a good one!

270bhp out of that 1.8T.

Must have take a bit of upgrading ?

I've been told on here that the 2.0TFSI VAG engine will only tune to 240bhp without new parts.

• Advertisement

If you are going to buy an S3 i'd recommend signing up to VAGdrivers.

One important thing to look at is the Haldex service the oil/filter should be changed every 40k (i change my oil every 20k and the filter on 40) A lot of Irish dealers/owners don't have a clue about this,i've heard stories of parts departments having never order the oil in and of dealers not having the special tool to change it.

If i came across a high miler with no evidence of this being done i'd walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

JCDUB wrote: »
    Cheers lads, some interesting points there.
    Yeah I would be wary of buying a nearly 10yo hot hatch type car, because lets be honest, you don't buy them to pootle down to the shops and back.

So obviously a full and detailed service history is a must, and suspension has to be closely looked at.

That one linked to on octane.ie looks nice, but that blue one I linked in my first post is a very nice looking machine I must say.Bit steep though pricewise.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming.

I can't see the one on VAGdrivers, have to join up n all that business.Anybody have a linky to it anywhere else please?Thanks.

This is the one from VAG Drivers:

http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=4851

JCDUB wrote: »

Mid-twenties for town stuff, early to mid 30's on a long run. A constant heavy right foot will slash those figures obviously!

Advertisement