Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone or Meteor???

• 17-12-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Is there any whizz kid out there that can help me on the telecommunications side of things???

I have vodafone perfect choice 600 with 400 landline minutes on my mobile bill pay @ 73+ euros monthly (before extra usage and vat). I have been trying to reduce my monthly bill (recession and all). I use my mobile mainly for calls to landlines and mobiles daily (no landline in house but mobile is my lifeline). For the last 2 days i have debated about changing to meteor bill pay max (45,000 minutes calls to landlines and networks and 5,000 texts =85 euro monthly vat incl). Otherwise upgrade to office wireless solo with vodafone ( 10,000 mins and texts same as meteor networks =99 euro monthly, vat extra.) However there are a few things putting me off both operators but i still have to choose one.

1. looking at meteor web site they chargeon a per second basis but price quoted in minutes which means expense if i understand it correctly.

2. Meteor roaming charges are high ( not that the holiday will be top of the list this year) don't know if they cover U.S. and other countries comparing to cheaper rates with vodafone and better coverage.

3. Since i have been with vodafone so long i am happy with the service but have heard a few complaints about Meteor service and don't want to sign a contract that could end up problematic a few months down the road. However my new vodafone bill could end up 120+ euros a month.

Don't use internet on the phone as the expense but have dabbled on for the lotto numbers!!!
    So if anyone has advice or better still a solution, it would be grateful in these difficult times.:( Was with O2 years ago but not impressed.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mod edit : Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Worker wrote: »
    1. looking at meteor web site they chargeon a per second basis but price quoted in minutes which means expense if i understand it correctly.
    All the networks charge on a per second basis, although they all charge a minimum call charge of about 9c. It just means that if you are on a phone call for 40 seconds, that is charged 29c per minute, the call costs you two thirds of 29c (since you were on for two thirds of a minute).

With Bill Pay Max though, your local, national and ROI mobile calls and texts are covered so you don't need to worry about per second billing! You also get 1GB of internet which would be more than enough if you wanted to check e-mail, lotto, news, facebook etc. through your mobile.
    2. Meteor roaming charges are high ( not that the holiday will be top of the list this year) don't know if they cover U.S. and other countries comparing to cheaper rates with vodafone and better coverage.
    Something you're just going to have to consider which will save you more - are better residential rates worth it in the long run over better roaming rates? They do cover the US alright.

Coverage with Meteor isn't going to be to the same extent as Vodafone. Vodafone have a hell of a lot more base stations than Meteor. There are areas with weak Meteor coverage, although for the most part the coverage is adequate for phone calls. They are slowly improving. Vodafone have by far the best coverage out of all the other operators, but they are also the most expensive.
    3. Since i have been with vodafone so long i am happy with the service but have heard a few complaints about Meteor service and don't want to sign a contract that could end up problematic a few months down the road. However my new vodafone bill could end up 120+ euros a month.
    Might be an idea to pick up a free Meteor PAYG SIM card and carry it around in your phone (if you have a spare handset, even better) for a few days to give you an idea of what sort of coverage you get in places you use your phone most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Worker

Thanks Kensington for the info and tips. Sorry in delay to replying. Might just pick a pay as you go. Will be interesting to see how i fair out! Richer i hope!!

Advertisement