Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

english or french HL ???

Options
  • 17-12-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

hi just was wondering which would it be easier to get a B in hl, english or french? i got a B in both in junior cert but i dunno which 1 to focus on for LC

tnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

hi just was wondering which would it be easier to get a B in hl, english or french? i got a B in both in junior cert but i dunno which 1 to focus on for LC

tnx

focus on both if you want maximum points!

Subjects are only as easy as your ability and interest in them. I'd say focus on both if you find you are equally good at each. If there's one you like more, you'll probably do better in it, but really neither is easier than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Right : Just because you got B's at JC level, doesn't mean you'll excell in either. I got a C in JC English and atm I'm averaging a B1-A2. If you're only in 5th year, give both a shot.
    In french it depends how good you're french is. HL French consists of comprehensions, a written topic and letters/messages/post cards. I'd advise to look at the papers, give a topic a go maybe and then ask your teacher to mark it.

In English however, Paper 1 consists of an essay - short story, personal response, debate, speech etc. You'll pick one and write on it. Then a comprehension QA and B.

Paper 2 is the tough part. A single text which is usually a Shakespeare play, Unseen poetry, another poetry question though this focuses more on the poet and techniques and then the dreaded comparative where you will take a play, a book and a film and compare and contrast them. You will NEED to be able to write fast and be good at english. Don't go by your JC at All. But look at both, see which is easier for you and which one you can get highest marks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Nobody has gotten an 'A' in LC French in our school in 6 years. It's harder IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

French and English? Wow. theres no comparison.

French has one paper, English has 2. French is something that you cant particularly study for. You either have the vocab, the verbs structures, the ear, the pronounciations, etc. All that takes is a lot of practice with past exams, familiarizing with question styles and just giving it your best shot.

English on the other hand is a huge amount of work. Not so much paper 1 because you either have a journalist in you or you dont.
    English Paper 2 is tough. You basically have to have quotes flowing out of you and then be able to discuss themes, and styles of the poets and authors and have your body of quotes to back what you say.
    With French you can almost predict what result you will get.
    English, you cant predict it. The marker will either like your style or they will hate it. Theres no 'in between' about it.
    That goes for Irish as well. So much hard work has to be put into those core subjects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement