Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish Speeding ticket

• 17-12-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

Got sent two speeding tickets from Spain recently - no idea how to pay them as the letter is in spanish!! The offences took place on the 16 oct - however on the pciture that was taken of the car there is no speed written on it!! Surley i could therefore have been doing any speed at the time! I have no problem paying the fines but is it a scam???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Who did it come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mutul8

It came from "Ministerio del Interior" Centro de Tramineto de denuncias Automatizadas" I have never got a ticket from a gatso van in Ireland - i just thought the pic of the car plate should have the speed indicated on it or something???

Was it a hire car you were driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Irish speeding tickets have the speed shown as so:

spdtl0.png

reeks of a scam if you ask me.

mutul8 wrote: »
    It came from "Ministerio del Interior" Centro de Tramineto de denuncias Automatizadas" I have never got a ticket from a gatso van in Ireland - i just thought the pic of the car plate should have the speed indicated on it or something???
    Nope, it says in writing what speed you were at, so scan back over it for any numbers mentioned. And assuming you can use an internet translator, why not roughly translate the letter and then figure out what it means. And then try and find out if the address, number and email address' etc are all well and good. Then you can pursue it further.

• Advertisement

Nope, it says in writing what speed you were at, so scan back over it for any numbers mentioned. And assuming you can use an internet translator, why not roughly translate the letter and then figure out what it means. And then try and find out if the address, number and email address' etc are all well and good. Then you can pursue it further.

Okay so the speed i was doing is on the ticket!! 137 in a 120 zone !! Went onto their site and it seems impossible to pay!! Others have had the same problem - looks for some number that people not living in spain dont have!! Yes it was a hire car!! I thought the hire car compnay (Centuaro - spelling?? ) would pay it and then deduct it from my card??

I dont fancy making loads of calls to spain to try and resolve this!!
    What should i do??

Go to the spanish embassy assuming there is one, and ask them to ring the company and sort it on your behalf while you're sat beside the person. :)

Glad I could help :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

What should i do??
    My first thought is that it's probably a scam. Mind you, the fact that they are making it difficult to pay makes me wonder if it might just be legit.

You could always give these guys a bell. They should be able to help you establish whether it is legit, and how you could go about getting it sorted.
    The Spanish Embassy
    17a Merlyn Park Ballsbridge Dublin 4.
    Tel: 01 283 9900/01 269 1640.

My first thought is that it's probably a scam. Mind you, the fact that they are making it difficult to pay makes me wonder if it might just be legit.

You could always give these guys a bell. They should be able to help you establish whether it is legit, and how you could go about getting it sorted.
    The Spanish Embassy

...or you could just chuck it in the bin (Green bin of course, save the trees! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Double check that the rental company haven't deducted this already, I would suggest freezing your credit card untill this gets resolved, Car hire firms can be fcukers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

The Spanish Embassy

Dealing with Spanish institutions (much like Irish ones!)is like banging your head off wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

...or you could just chuck it in the bin (Green bin of course, save the trees! :) )

I agree don't pay it you will more then likely get away with it

cup of tea wrote: »
    I agree don't pay it you will more then likely get away with it
    Unless of course the hire car company keeps taking money until a court appearence comes up for not paying a fine.

Unless of course the hire car company keeps taking money until a court appearence comes up for not paying a fine.

Cancel the credit card simple as, you'll have a new one in 3 days

Cancel the credit card simple as, you'll have a new one in 3 days
    Because the company surely couldnt pursue it and find out where you live from the details provided, considering a letter was sent directly to his house anyway :rolleyes:

Because the company surely couldnt pursue it and find out where you live from the details provided, considering a letter was sent directly to his house anyway :rolleyes:

They can write to you alright, but at the end of day it's a foreign jurisdiction, not much they can do but threaten you.

Personally i'd bin it.

They can write to you alright, but at the end of day it's a foreign jurisdiction, not much they can do but threaten.

Personally i'd bin it.
    Interpol be on yo ass :cool:

Interpol be on yo ass :cool:

:pac: Damn should paid that ticket :eek:

:pac: Damn should paid that ticket :eek:
    I just realised the smily I used happened to look like an officer :P

Seems from the contract with the car hire company that i am responsible for my own fines! Seeing as they already gave out my address ( I presume they did ) can they also give out my credit card details??? Seems like an easier option to pay it this way than using the stupid official site

• Advertisement

Get in contact first, make sure they did actually send out one and make sure it was exactly you and they can prove it.

Get in contact first, make sure they did actually send out one and make sure it was exactly you and they can prove it.

Well it was the right car, it was the right number plate and the right area i was travelling in at the time - and it probably was the right speed too :o - my gripe is i want to pay the bloody thing! It said on the form that if it was paid in under 30 days the fine would be only 70 euros as opposed to 100 - the incident happened on the 16th of Oct - the fine was issued on the 16th of Nov???? And i only got it on the 6th of Dec!! Have spent the last few weeks wondering what to do as that site they quote is bloody useless - even found a post somewhere with a spanish person complaining about it

In that case get onto either the hire company in the hope they can sort it out, or the Spanish embassy posted way up there ^

In that case get onto either the hire company in the hope they can sort it out, or the Spanish embassy posted way up there ^

What would the reprecussions be then if i dont pay it?? I suppose i can expect idiotic repsonses to this but what the hell :P

What would the reprecussions be then if i dont pay it?? I suppose i can expect idiotic repsonses to this but what the hell :P
    Let it run out for a few years, get on the Most Wanted list for motoring offences and maybe start a manhunt, all while you coyly drive your 7 series BMW around the tiny streets of Romania.

Meh, seems ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

What should i do??

Throw it in the bin and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

If you want to throw it away go for it.
    Although if you don't want to get stung next time your over there pay it by going to the spainish embassay and asking them to sort it for you as you don't speak spainish they will most likely help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

None.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Had a similar episode with the italian police. In my case it was for breaking a red light in august '08.

First i knew of it was a 60E charge on my credit card from the italian car hire co. This 60E was an admin charge for the hire co. to pass my details onto the italian police:eek:

This was followed by a letter in the post from the hire co. with a photocopy of the offence they recieved. On the offence sheet, I was advised to go to any italian post office and pay the fine, quoting offence number 12345 etc....

I was back in Italy this year, but forgot to pay the fine. Oh dear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

gyppo wrote: »
    Had a similar episode with the italian police. In my case it was for breaking a red light in august '08.

First i knew of it was a 60E charge on my credit card from the italian car hire co. This 60E was an admin charge for the hire co. to pass my details onto the italian police:eek:

This was followed by a letter in the post from the hire co. with a photocopy of the offence they recieved. On the offence sheet, I was advised to go to any italian post office and pay the fine, quoting offence number 12345 etc....

I was back in Italy this year, but forgot to pay the fine. Oh dear!!!

And how are Italian prison's or did you not get done as I suspect ?

I've decided for now not to pay this - i'll see if they send something more

Advertisement