Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You have 24 hours, how do you prepare?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

big big party...then rapepillageburn! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 axlcinema

All you guys touting about your guns going a blazing are going to come into conflict with each other. I'd stay away from that mess for sure, I'd go lone wolf on this ****.

I plan not to come with into direct contact with any walking/ running dead. therefore wondering on foot traveling quietly from location to location is the best policy to avoid zombies or looters. Inevitable your going to have some trouble, well i hope i do, otherwise all this wishing for a zombie Apocalypse action has been a waste of time. Anyways pistols at first glance seem to be a good way of dealing with this but the issue with handguns is they require ammo which is eventually going to run out and guns make noise which will attract more Z's. Silencers could be help full, but i believe guns are a waste of time, require to much maintenance and create too much attention.

The safer option in my opinion is to carry a machete, not use full for long distance but like i said i don't plan to be anywhere within a mile of Z's. Machetes are quick, accurate and no ammo necessary. The only other drawback i can think of when it comes to blades is they create a lot of mess. Which is why a face mask should be worn (At all time).

My Shopping List

Ski Mask - Skull design looks rad
    Large Blade
    Pocket Knife
    Spare Knife
    Blade Sharpener
    Maps
    Compass
    Rucksack
    Sleeping bag
    Trekking boots
    Waterproofs
    Spare clothes
    Wash bag
    Canteen
    Fire Lighters

Avoid highly populated areas when possible, travel light, fast and alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Throw my Bail-out-bag (BOB) into my BOV (Bug-Out-Vehicle - a landrover defender).

Load all my supplies horded in the loft (enough to last 2 people three months) into the BOV.
    Contact all my contacts and let them know I'm on my way.
    Set off for the pennines wilderness to wait out the apocolypse and see what's next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I would be busy electrifying the front gates and surrounding fences by connecting them to the mains.
    Of course Mickey Donelz and I would be in contact via ps3 and begin hatching our plans of hooking up and creating the Boardsies HQ before the power finally cuts out a week later.

Why do you think the power will last a week? Are you just talking about defense against panicking people rather than zeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

stringbox wrote: »
    Why do you think the power will last a week? Are you just talking about defense against panicking people rather than zeds?

Thats a good point, and thats why we need to recongise the threat as early as possible. when people are panicking and going nuts, we should already have our defense's set up by then.

Anybody here work for ESB or Eircom? How long will the system stay going un-manned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Am i stupid in saying i'd find the way to the roof of a massive tescos (eg Tescos Extra in Ballymun.) bring a months supplies up there (Bottled water, a hell of alot of canned food, suncream, clothes, etc) and then block the way into the roof, either by destroying the stairs, or physically blocking it.

As though I would be completely at the mercy of the elements, I would have access to extra clothing for warmth, food, water, and a hell of alot of handy utensils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

But you would probably be surrounded by 1000's of Zeds. You would also have to sleep in the rain and coldness that is Ireland. too much hardship for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Zaffy wrote: »
    Am i stupid in saying i'd find the way to the roof of a massive tescos (eg Tescos Extra in Ballymun.) bring a months supplies up there (Bottled water, a hell of alot of canned food, suncream, clothes, etc) and then block the way into the roof, either by destroying the stairs, or physically blocking it.

As though I would be completely at the mercy of the elements, I would have access to extra clothing for warmth, food, water, and a hell of alot of handy utensils.

How will you deal with the inevitable pneumonia?
    How will you pitch a tent?
    If you choose to stay in the city surrounded by zeds you'll need more than a months supplies, more like two or three as people hiding out like you on roofs etc get picked off fueling the remaining zeds for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

But you would probably be surrounded by 1000's of Zeds. You would also have to sleep in the rain and coldness that is Ireland. too much hardship for my liking.

I wouldn't care about being surrounded if I was safe. And rain is a small price to pay compared to safety.
    How will you deal with the inevitable pneumonia?
    How will you pitch a tent?
    If you choose to stay in the city surrounded by zeds you'll need more than a months supplies, more like two or three as people hiding out like you on roofs etc get picked off fueling the remaining zeds for longer.

Wrap up warm, I'd have the whole F&F section to choose from. And there is a chemist in the tesco. Basically i'm trying to use this tesco as a total toolbox of everything i need.
    I could take one of those tents with a bottom inplace and weigh it down with heavy goods
    And I'd have this entire store to loot.

If i destroyed the stairs, i could attach a rope for me to be able to climb down, and then climb back up, but simply reel it back in when i was done with it. I would be able to go down into this shop as much as possible provided no Zeds are inside, and if there are a few, bring a weapon and don't get hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭_SONIC_

hasnt anyone played dead rising?? its a very bad move to go to a shopping centre!!

has anyone seen the tesco extra in maynooth?? we could loot the place till kingdom come! thennn barricade all the doors and destroy the escalaters and then live of the fatta the lan' it has a whole aisle of bottled water and loads of different food! it would be a stronghold in the right hands!!!!!

but unfortunately lots of people will have the same idea!!! and there will be loads of people looting and breaking stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

_SONIC_ wrote: »
    but unfortunately lots of people will have the same idea!!! and there will be loads of people looting and breaking stuff!
    Yeah, first step to survival is think of what everyone else will do, and then do something different. You'd need a people plough to get through the car park, never mind hit the shelves, and thats assuming your b&e skills are enough to get in in the first place.

If you haven't a supply of dry food for a month stocked at all times, you're probably going to have the same odds as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

People dude and its only a 1st line of defense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

If you fail to plan you'd better plan to fail.

24hr window if you can make the first 12hrs yours you'll be ahead of the panicing masses and avoid public disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭MacBrayne

Hour 1: Make all appropriate contacts to initiate emergency plan.

Hour 3: Be on the road with full supplies from cache points, preferably almost to the safehouse.

Hour 6: Finish securing remote safe house according to plan, exactly which safehouse depends on which of the nations on my home continent I am in at the time.

Hours 6+: Maintain.

The specific details of the above plans are the result of over 20 years refinement and change at least annually to take into account updated caches, individuals and available resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

I've read about a few people who have emergency kits in their houses stashed everywhere, so that they can go into the forest and survive for as long as needs be in a hut.

Not too sure about that one though - I'd be happier staying in a my row of terraced houses - run to the nearest shop, grab as much dry foods as possible, fill the bath up with water asap, and barracade myself in. Next, destroy the stairs and get some board games and books! You could def last 2-3 weeks here. Best thing about it being in a row of terraced houses, is that you can raid the houses next door without even having to venture outside. Hop up into your attic and quietly make your way into the attic of the house next door to you - most are all connected if they're old. Theres most likely going to be no zombies in the attic as they'll be too busy running around going mad. Check out the area from above in the attic - pop a few holes in the floor of the attic and look down into all the rooms.

Once you've determined the house next door is ok, raid it for all it has, and use everything in there to make your house more secure - also take all of their possible weapons and any food. Keep doing this with all of the houses in your terrace, and you could possibly last for quiet a while... Hopefully by the end of it , the zombies would have finally died from hunger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Best thing about it being in a row of terraced houses, is that you can raid the houses next door without even having to venture outside. Hop up into your attic and quietly make your way into the attic of the house next door to you - most are all connected if they're old.Theres most likely going to be no zombies in the attic

Ahh... but what if your neighbours have the same idea.. no zombies in the attic but ye might meet them on the way to rob all your gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭musicformedia

Ahh... but what if your neighbours have the same idea.. no zombies in the attic but ye might meet them on the way to rob all your gear.

Thats going to be the case in any plan though - at least some people will always have the same plan as you really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Gary4279 wrote: »
    Everyone has mentioned boarding up windows without taking time to go to the lumber yard....

heres what i would do , i would tear up the decking out back and board up the place, destroying the stairs and the floorboards down stairs. I would then make a trip to tesco and Smiths building supplies and weigh down the big flat-bed (also aquired from smiths) with supplies. on the way home a trip to the chemist for medical supplies (DUH) would be in order stopping by my local school to rob all the barbed wire as possible. by now i'm at the 10 hour mark. feeling the heat i would grab some lunch. Us humans must eat also. having unloaded all the crap into my now fortified zombie free retreat it back out on the open road to get petrol,a generator,a willing companion, some flares and weapons of any sort and army clothes and supplies from army-bargains, because you gotta look the part.

after that i would continue to modify the fort to keep busy. once my neighbours are savaged after i tell them its ok to venture out side i smash through the wall to make the fort a mansion. (also they have a hot tub)

I like your style!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

i would post a thread on boards to cheer myself up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

Well, after going for the usual food/water/weapons/meds/equipment I'd try and get some full leather biker gear, and including a helmet. Pretty tough for human teeth to bite through if it came to it.

I'd then be looking to head out to Malahide and steal a boat/yacht and look to set up camp on Lambey Island or Ireland's Eye. As well as being suitable to live on for extended periods, the yacht can be used to ferry supplies and equipment to set up a longer term camp if needs be and the zombies decide not to die of starvation after a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's funny that Tesco features so heavily in a potential Zed day.
    I'm more an Aldi fan, wonder do they have any distribution centers in Ireland...

wrote:
    GERMAN retail giant Aldi has postponed opening a new €100m regional distribution centre for two years, blaming the planning process.

The project -- unveiled amid fanfare by Foreign Affairs Minister Micheal Martin in May last year -- had promised 160 jobs for

ffs!! ****ing economy.

"Aldi Stores confirms that the opening of its new regional distribution centre in Mitchelstown has been delayed until 2013," the firm said.

Baggsey Aldi distribution center when it opens, hope it's not too late...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Just invite Chuck Norris to your house and persuade him to stay.

chuck_norris_zombies_Zombie_Apocalypse_Guide-s500x672-94460-580.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

But wouldnt that leave us with numerous Zombie Chuck Norris'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    But wouldnt that leave us with numerous Zombie Chuck Norris'?

Haven't you heard?

Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks logic in the face.
    Exponential growth curves are flattened by the boot stomp of Chuck Norris.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

To be honest I live in the middle of fúcking nowhere halfway up a mountain so I'd probably just walk down to the shop, have a chat about the zombies (Jaze lads tis great weather, hear about all those mad fellas running around up there in Dublin? Tis mad stuff altogether) then I'd go home and carry on as usual.

I don't think the population density is high enough to support zombies, The nearest town is 25km away and only has a population of 4,000. The number of houses drops dramatically around 5km from the town. I'd probably set a room up in the attic anyway just in case and I would be prepared to destroy the stairs if I had to. The ceilings in my house are 8ft so add another foot to that and its probably the level of the upstairs landing so there's no chance of the zombies getting upstairs. We have a massive freezer loaded with food and while the oven is electric the hob is gas powered. Have a generator too with a tiny petrol station down the road that if worst came to worst I'd raid. Guns and loads of tool's and tractors around as well. I think digging a ditch around the house would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

What about taking over a PSNI border station?
    Despite the peace process I think they're still pretty well fortified and they're obviously in less densely populated areas.
    Weapons and armed vechicles may be left behind if the police have left.
    The vechicles would be ideal for scavaging parties.
    Even if they're still manned I think despite their size only a small number of officers are inside at anyone time.
    I presume they will have a large cooking/canteen area capable of supporting a large group of survivors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

if i had 24hrs i would

-grab my burgen and fill with medic kit and food
    -find a nice jeep
    -make my way to the shed grab a couple of hammers and chainsaw
    -have a cupa tea n wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Green Back wrote: »
    What about taking over a PSNI border station?
    Despite the peace process I think they're still pretty well fortified and they're obviously in less densely populated areas.
    Weapons and armed vechicles may be left behind if the police have left.
    The vechicles would be ideal for scavaging parties.
    Even if they're still manned I think despite their size only a small number of officers are inside at anyone time.
    I presume they will have a large cooking/canteen area capable of supporting a large group of survivors.
    The only problem being all the PSNI officers. Any kind of military style base will put outsiders at the bottom of their ladder.
    I think they'll be desperate places to be as those in charge lose their backing for power it could turn into anarchy, think how many people hate those in charge of them and what they'd do to them if it wasn't for the the power structure behind them.

The lack of women and a balanced social group could mean males just banging heads together for power. Maybe fine after all the power struggles have ended and the base has been abandoned but I won't be going near any place like that for a while. There's to much chance of violence, mixed with trained weapons experts it's only a recipe for disaster once the power structure that keeps it all in check is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Green Back

ScumLord wrote: »
    The only problem being all the PSNI officers. Any kind of military style base will put outsiders at the bottom of their ladder.
    I think they'll be desperate places to be as those in charge lose their backing for power it could turn into anarchy, think how many people hate those in charge of them and what they'd do to them if it wasn't for the the power structure behind them.

The lack of women and a balanced social group could mean males just banging heads together for power. Maybe fine after all the power struggles have ended and the base has been abandoned but I won't be going near any place like that for a while. There's to much chance of violence, mixed with trained weapons experts it's only a recipe for disaster once the power structure that keeps it all in check is gone.

I take your point about command structures falling apart. However, I'd take my chances. When the structures fall apart they'll feel completely isolated.
    Like the rest of society I think they'd abandon their posts and try make their way back to their families, which are probably a considerable way away (I doubt local officers would be stationed in these areas for security reasons). These rural stations despite their size are lightly manned. Plus give the 'civil disturbances' which will come on Z Day resources are going to be directed at urban areas.
    The stations usually have a large carpark behind the walls which is ideal for keeping vechiles, generators, supplies etc, even for fear free exercise (for mental well being).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I'd Planned this ages ago..

First I'd gather up a few friends and attempt to make my way towards south Wexford. On the way we would steal a truck/flatbed each if possible and at least one tanker.

When we get near to our safe house there is a little village with a petrol station, supermarket and hardware store. I'd send a team to the hardware store and to the supermarket and the tanker to fill up with diesel, and while its filling, fill the cab with stuff from the petrol station, starting with the bottled water.

Supplies from the supermarket would be all the tinned food and water for a start, then if there is room as much of whatever will fit into the truck/trucks. Along with other everyday items such as toilet paper, smokes, lighters, alcohol, first aid supplies, batteries, etc etc..The supermarket also has a clothes section so they would get clothes, bedclothes and pillows too.

The lads at the hardware store would get a bale of 1 1/4inch plywood, a bale of 3*2s, hand tools, nails/screws, coal, shovels, hoes, picks, sledgehammers and various other tools that can be used as weapons. Also, the whole rack of vegetable seeds and fertilizer. A few bbqs, charcoal and gas cylinders. If there is room: cement, as much blocks as possible, and the biggest watertight storage containers possible.

On the way we stop at my mates current house for his .22 rifle, two shotguns and all the ammo. We would then proceed to my mates parents house thats currently under construction. Windows are in, outside walls are plastered. Its just the inside that needs work. There is a diesel generator there thats hooked up to the house electrics. The house has a balcony that goes 3/4 around the house. Which would give us a great view/lookout. The house is located at the back of a farm, so there would be no chance of Zs yet. Its also inside a walled garden. These walls are 10 foot tall and 4 foot thick... But there are a few gaps in these walls. This is why I brought the wood (and possible blocks/cement).

Some of my family are around that area so i'd go searching for them and bring them back.

Initially I'd get the wall holes plugged up, using blocks if I had any and plywood if not. If using blocks, i'd fill anything I could with water first from the taps and use that for mixing with cement. I'd leave a small door to allow people in and out. Once the walls are secure i'd start getting a bit of a garden going. So it'll be ready for harvest when our food runs out.

The farm is a dairy farm so a number of cows would be taken in for milk and meat if needed. There is probably chickens around there somewhere too so they'd be useful. Enclosures could be build if there is leftover wood.

So basically live there with a group of people for ages scavenging stuff from the farm if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Green Back wrote: »
    Like the rest of society I think they'd abandon their posts and try make their way back to their families,
    I kind of doubt that, these kind of public servants know if society stands any chance they have to stay at their post until the bitter end and quite likely lay down their lives to protect society, it's what they signed up for. But being on the front line may mean the majority of them will be the first to die/turn, leaving the barracks mostly empty, you just have to worry about the mental state of those that are left.

It's hard to know how things will turn out but I just think the potential for conflict is to high to take the risk. Especially if others have the same idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

how clever are zombies? ??.....their IQ would have a big influence in how I would deal with the first 24 hours .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I hope im the first one bitten.That zombie craic looks like a right lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ChaseThisLight

del88 wrote: »
    how clever are zombies? ??.....their IQ would have a big influence in how I would deal with the first 24 hours .....

I don't think their IQ would really be a factor, so much. Their instinct would be, for sure, and also the way people react; I think a lot of people are going to panic, and this will lead to a lot of stupidity and mistakes, thus making lots of easy meals for the zombies and in turn swelling their ranks really quickly.

So that 24 hour prep time is crucial so you don't get stuck in the chaos.

Myself, I live in the hills, ten minutes outside of town. I'm completely surrounded by the forest, no neighbors. I own a gun, and my father-in-law is a gunsmith and lives 2 minutes from me, so I'm not worried about weapons. I'd stock up on foodstuffs, ammo, medical supplies, and lumber to board up the downstairs windows. We've also got plenty of wildlife in the area, deer, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, etc, and we have chickens, so if it came down to it, we'd have meat (can't really picture eating a raccoon or a squirrel though :(). We also have apple and cherry trees and blue and black berry bushes. We get water from a well, so as long as we have power, we're good there, though it's been pointed out that power might not last long. So all in all, I believe I'd be good for awhile...I survived being snowed in for 3 weeks once - some of that without power - I think I can survive at least that long against the Z's, if not longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

How long will the system stay going un-manned?
    3 days gas supplies if manned, probably 6-24 hours otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

there's a Zombie survival thread?

why wasn't i told?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

ArtSmart wrote: »
    there's a Zombie survival thread?

why wasn't i told?

You haven't been chosen to survive :p

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

I have a pretty large family brothers and sisters wise, first after hearing the report i would go to my family home like the rest of the family.

Once there i would suggest working together like blocking off the bottom floor windows with bricks from the local DIY dispatching 1-2 to obtain the supplies for that.

Tearing up the decking to convert the backyard in a greenhouse to have a ready source of food in the coming weeks when that shops become empty { That is walled by 8ft stone wall.

Dispatch another 2 to tesco and the likes for bottle water and other canned foods,
    and to collect medical supplies.

I would fill every contained with water that i could fined.

I would have 3 stay behind all day preparing the house boosting the doors and getting the upstairs ready for a 20+ people. I would make sure the house have a large van full on fuel in-case of a quick exits. we would have a large amount of blankets and heat sources bought from the local bog that would take an hour and last a year.. I would black out the all spot that can be seen outside into the house to make sure people think its empty, Enforce the bottom floor with a temp wall {After a while upgrade to stone} some toys for the kids and plenty of disinfect wipes. Their would be a 24/7 watch by two people taking 8 hour shifts with 15+people and 24 hours notice you could really do a lot when everyone pulls together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

necro threads in the zombie survival forum.. who'd have thunk it.
    locking this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement