Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Milan United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

AC Milan v Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Give it a break ffs, I was speculating based on opinion. What pretty much 99% of this forum is all about.

(anyone else think that rolleyes smiley makes you want to track down the person that posted it and cave their face in with a lump hammer? No? Just me?)

so was I, and you called me Alex... can i not speculate too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stuttgart V Barcelona
    Olympiakos V Bordeaux
    Inter Milan V Chelsea (Nice)
    Bayern Munich V Fiorentina (Potential for a cracker imo)
    CSKA Moscow V Sevilla
    Lyon V Real Madrid (Could be a cracker)
    Porto V Arsenal
    AC Milan V Manchester United (Tough one I think)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux
    Inter v Chelsea
    Bayern v Fiorentina
    CSKA v Seville
    Lyon - Real
    Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Utd

Some great games to look forward to in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

awesome.

Two tough ones for Chelsea and United to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Beckham in OT:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Inter v Chelsea

Lyon - Real

AC Milan v Utd
    Ties of the round for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Barca through
    Bordeaux through
    I'd love to see Inter through but i honestly cant call it
    Bayern through
    Sevilla through after two absolutely manky games
    Lyon through
    Arsenal through
    United fan but couldn't call it either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You would nearly think it was rigged, Platini giving out about the English sides last year and they get the worst of the draw.

I still think they will both progress though.

Tastiest tie is probably Moutinho at the bridge.

Milan for Utd is interesting.

Porto not too bad for Arsenal

15 mins for faffing then 10 mins for draw.

Expect the same for the Europa league expect the draw portion to be a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Am i the only one who thinks Lyon have a serious chance of turning Madrid over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

All the top seeds should progress without any problems. Bayern and Milan were the toughies. Man U should easily dispose on Milan. Bayern V Fiore could be interesting.

Glad Barca got Stuttgart. About the best draw on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Degag wrote: »

agree with you on that one, munich fiorentina will be a decent enough game too.

Who did liverpool get . . . . .oh wait.

• Advertisement

Who did Liverpool get?........................

Sorry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

United will tear lumps out of AC Milan, home and away.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Who did liverpool get . . . . .oh wait.

Great minds mate.

Nope. Adios Galacticos!!! :)

Final leg of some matches will be on Paddy's Day, which could be a bit strange.

• Advertisement

i'll believe that when i see it, then again deportivo whacked them 4-0 a few seasons back if i'm right...

That_Guy wrote: »
    Great minds mate.

ha, it had to be said.

It's a possibility. They're not the same team they were a few years ago anyway. I don't reckon it'll be a landslide victory for United but I think they will progress, but I think it'll be a tougher two games than you think.

Would actually like to see United get through because I hate the way AC Milan play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Red Storm wrote: »
    i'll believe that when i see it, then again deportivo whacked them 4-0 a few seasons back if i'm right...

I've watched Milan a lot this season, they really are a dying team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

We have a terrible record against them in the champ league. It will be tight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

History certainly on our side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Beckham in OT:)

Never been to a United match but with Beckham being my hero since I was knee high, I think it might be time to pop that cherry! :D

Which tie will be the home tie?

mars bar wrote: »
    Never been to a United match but with Beckham being my hero since I was knee high, I think it might be time to pop that cherry! :D

Which tie will be the home tie?

the second one

I reckon Bayern in the final anyways, just fancy them this year tbh... Hopefully against United, 10 years on from the Treble and all that guff, but i reckon it'll be Barca-Bayern Finale this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

lyon madrid: YAWN seems like we get to see this fixture ever year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Lads, these draws are some of the most predictable of any sport.

Ronaldo and United went back to Lisbon
    Torres and Liverpool went back to Madrid

Mourinho was likely to go back to Chelsea any time
    Beckham back at United was one I hadn't foreseen but doesn't suprise me.

I thought united might get Real in the group stages coz of Ronaldo but....

They sent Kaka back to Milan instead.

Anyone else think of any obvious 'coincidences?'

Red Storm wrote: »
    I reckon Bayern in the final anyways, just fancy them this year tbh... Hopefully against United, 10 years on from the Treble and all that guff, but i reckon it'll be Barca-Bayern Finale this year

I actually think Fiorentina will pip them to it. They'll give Bayern a game. I've no doubt about it.

Chelsea to fall again in the quest for big ears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    We have a terrible record against them in the champ league. It will be tight!

a terrible record against their good teams.

Nulty wrote: »

These "coincidences" were bound to happen at one stage. Sure there's only 16 teams involved and the chances were always gonna be high that one or two of these ties were gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Nulty wrote: »

What other sports are you comparing draws in soccer to???? Im struggling to thing of sports that arent draws based on pure seeding!
    I think the rest of your post may be because the top teams buy players off each and play each other every year in a knockout competetion!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Have being there any dates set for Uniteds home game against AC Milan.

Would like to book some flights.

Also is there a chance they could re-arrange the game as if you think about it you will have sets of fans from Chelsea and Man Utd in Milan for the home leg the week before at the same time with a possibility of trouble.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Include the various restrictions with regards to countries, teams from the same group etc and it really isn't that surprising.

It's not like this is Mourinho's first time in the CL knockout with Inter either. If Chelsea had drawn Milan you'd be talking about the 'coincidence' of Ancelotti playing his old team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Barcelona beat Stuttgart
    Bordeaux beat Olympiacos
    Chelsea beat Inter
    Bayern beat Fiorentina
    CSKA beat Sevilla
    Real beat Lyon
    United beat Milan

The Cska fixture is a tough one to call. I think the rest are fairly safe. Maybe one upset.

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    Barcelona beat Stuttgart
    Bordeaux beat Olympiacos
    Chelsea beat Inter
    Bayern beat Fiorentina
    CSKA beat Sevilla
    Real beat Lyon
    United beat Milan

The Cska fixture is a tough one to call. I think the rest are fairly safe. Maybe one upset.

United and Chelsea safe?? LOL

Sevilla will beat CSKA with relative ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Johner wrote: »

can't say I agree with that. CSKA showed they are formidable in the group stages. Only problem is that they'll be missing their CBs for the first game which could be vital.

steps_3314 wrote: »

Also is there a chance they could re-arrange the game as if you think about it you will have sets of fans from Chelsea and Man Utd in Milan for the home leg the week before at the same time with a possibility of trouble.
    No you wont because AC and Inter share the same stadium and so cant play their hom legs on consecutive days...

Times like this I wish I was neutral. Porto - Arsenal is going to be so boring and it means I'll miss either Inter - Chelsea or Milan - United :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

steps_3314 wrote: »

First leg away on either February 16th,17th, 23rd or 24th
    Second leg home on either March 9th,10th, 16th or 17th

Milan and Inter ground share so United and Chelski won't be able to play their away legs on the same night. Its likely United will be there one week and Chelski the next. I'd say it would be highly unlikely they would be both given away legs in the same week.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    can't say I agree with that. CSKA showed they are formidable in the group stages. Only problem is that they'll be missing their CBs for the first game which could be vital.

They scraped through didn't they?

Sevilla are quality, I'll be putting my money on them anyway.

marwelie wrote: »
    Milan and Inter ground share so United and Chelski won't be able to play their away legs on the same night. Its likely United will be there one week and Chelski the next. I'd say it would be highly unlikely they would be both given away legs in the same week.
    You beauty! Hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They scraped through didn't they?

Sevilla are quality, I'll be putting my money on them anyway.

they got through ahead of the German champions though, Wolfsburg were one of the dark horses in the draw and are a very good team.

There are 8 game days for 16 games (2 games a night), so depending on the fixtures should be able to see most of the best games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Wanna bet? Sevilla are the very definition of giant killers, I'd be much more confident of them knocking out Man Utd, Chelsea, A.C, Inter, Barcelona, Madrid, than I would against the likes of CSKA or Stuttgart. That's actually the very definition of Sevilla's biggest nightmare draw.

Hleb returns to the Camp Nou.
    Mourinho returns to Stamford Bridge.
    Beckham returns to Old Trafford.
    Benzema returns to the Stade Gerland.

Some tasty ties there, with Fiorentina vs Bayern being the most evenly poised really. People are massively overrating Bayern now after that one win in Turin, if anybody watched Juve that day they were absolutely atrocious, an embarrassment. And Barca absolutely drubbed Bayern last year home and away in the K.O stages. I reckon they'll lost to Fiorentina.

Inter have been awful really this entire campaign, so it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up randomly beating Chelsea, only to crash out spectacularly in the next round.

I think Madrid will be quite happy with Lyon, as they are a team that will allow Real to play their attacking game, they don't defend as cohesively as a CSKA or an Inter. Good draw for them, and they'll be desperate to prove they can make it past the 8th finals. (I'll obviously be delighted if they dont!)

Don't think Man Utd vs A.C Milan is as clear cut as people are making it out to be. Utd are obviously favourites, and will probably go through, but A.C are the exact team set up to cause problems for Utd. Pato and Ronaldinho will be key if the Rossoneiri have a chance of progressing, good game though!

Arsenal will be delighted with Porto, even though Porto are a very strong side. The key imo, is that Porto will allow Arsenal space on the ball, so they'll be able to play their usual ball game, and eventually they'll score. It's just a question of whether they can not concede.

Barca got what looks like the easiest draw of the round. I was hoping for A.C Milan, or Porto, as I think we could impressively dispatch those teams and set out a signal of intent. But Stuttgart is a nice fixture, not far travelling, a relatively solid team with some good attacking players. However, Barca played them before in the group stages and comfortably beat them over two legs. If Guardiola and Barca want to prove they are still the best then of course they'll have to beat Stuttgart, won't be easy, but it's pretty much the best draw Barca could have hoped for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement