Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league draw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

marwelie wrote: »
    First leg away on either February 16th,17th, 23rd or 24th
    Second leg home on either March 9th,10th, 16th or 17th

Milan and Inter ground share so United and Chelski won't be able to play their away legs on the same night. Its likely United will be there one week and Chelski the next. I'd say it would be highly unlikely they would be both given away legs in the same week.

Cheers for that. Yeah i saw the fixture dates on Uefa.com and wondered why there was two dates in Feb and two dates in March. So this has yet to be decided.

I dont think Uefa have ever changed fixtures have they and the rules state that the team who finish first plays at home in the second leg.

But i can see them changing this due to the risk involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

rarnes1 wrote: »
    United and Chelsea safe?? LOL

What's funny about it? The cream of English league is far stronger than the cream of the Italian league as the last few years have shown us. This stage of the competition is really predictable as over the 2 legs the stronger team nearly always triumphs.

magma69 wrote: »
    What's funny about it? The cream of English league is far stronger than the cream of the Italian league as the last few years have shown us. This stage of the competition is really predictable as over the 2 legs the stronger team nearly always triumphs.

To write off Inter and especially AC Milan so easily in the European Cup is foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

eZe^ wrote: »
    Wanna bet? Sevilla are the very definition of giant killers, I'd be much more confident of them knocking out Man Utd, Chelsea, A.C, Inter, Barcelona, Madrid, than I would against the likes of CSKA or Stuttgart. That's actually the very definition of Sevilla's biggest nightmare draw.

Yes,I will be betting on Sevilla to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Johner wrote: »
    Yes,I will be betting on Sevilla to get through.

10 euro says it won't happen with 'relative ease'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Personally, I don't think AC Milan are that good, but then I am not confident in the United side this season - so i'm not sure what way this tie will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Did I say i would put a bet on with you? And no. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

rarnes1 wrote: »
    To write off Inter and especially AC Milan so easily in the European Cup is foolish.

There can always be an upset. I am not completely writing them off I am just saying that Man U and Chelsea are heavy favourites and I would be very surprised if either AC or Inter could undo them.

Johner wrote: »
    Did I say i would put a bet on with you? And no. :)

I'm just saying, I love Sevilla's brand of football, and think Fabiano/ Kanoute are the two most underrated strikers in Europe, but CSKA is a nightmare draw for them. I hope they go through, because they could definitely K.O a European giant more easily that most peeps would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Great draw for Barca. Chelsea and Utd in particular i'd say will be worried about playing the Italians. AC on their day are capable of putting anyone to the sword. Arsenal will be pleased i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Porto will put it up to Arsenal. United should beat Milan but you never know, there record isn't the best against them. Chelsea will do Mourinho - the script is written.

Was the draw made for the next round?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

<snip>let's not go there</snip>

Chelsea will win. Easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Lol at the ABUs - its a tough draw now but if If Uts Win Milan will have been past it

I thought the draw was always fixed so Utd got an easy team:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Tough draw for all the English teams, no way in hell any of them will walk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Sevilla should beat CSKA handy enough. CSKA are not as good as they were last year and Sevilla are home in the second leg so they will be very pleased the draw. Plus the Russian League is now over so they wont be playing a competitive match until next year - cant see Sevilla slipping up here.

The Spanish teams in general got the best of it. Barca should beat Stuttgart easily and Real should beat Lyon. Lyon are also not as good as they have been in the past. Bordeaux are probably the most interesting team left in the comp and got a fantastic draw in Olympiacos. They are the current French champs and are flying again this year. Could go very far.

The English teams got tough games though all 3 will be hot favourites. Inter are simply woeful in Europe and Chelsea should get through. AC Milan have a fantastic record in Europe and pose a real threat especially if Ronaldinho plays well. Porto will put it up to Arsenal and I wouldnt be surprised to see Porto going through.

Bayern should beat an average Fiorentina side as well. I presume the 1/4 finals are an open draw in that teams from the same country can play each other. Is this correct?

kida wrote: »
    Lol at the ABUs - its a tough draw now but if If Uts Win Milan will have been past it

In fairness it's mostly United fans now who are sayin Milan are passed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Am I right in thinking this will be Ronaldinho's first appearance in Old Trafford? That'll be pretty cool to see.

Daysha wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking this will be Ronaldinho's first appearance in Old Trafford? That'll be pretty cool to see.

I dont know but he is a special player alright. I know he's been past his best and struggles for form (and weight) at times but he is still a class act on his day.

Daysha wrote: »

Pato is the man to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Pato is the man to see

ronaldinho and pato have an almost telepathic understanding

i was at this game in october, milan were terrible but one moment of magic from both men won the game for milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Warper wrote: »
    I dont know but he is a special player alright. I know he's been past his best and struggles for form (and weight) at times but he is still a class act on his day.

If he turns up, he's a sad shadow of his former self.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ronaldinho and pato have an almost telepathic understanding

i was at this game in october, milan were terrible but one moment of magic from both men won the game for milan

I seen them in Madrid. Nothing for 60 mins. Then Ronaldino decided he was interested. Pato got the winner near the end - cracking stuff

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

kida wrote: »

:facepalm:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Wonder whats the odds of a Beckham free kick to send milan through would be
    My predictions anyway
    Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux (dunno much about either tbh)
    Inter Milan v Chelsea (slightly biased but 2nd leg at home so think we'll do it)
    Bayern Munich v Fiorentina
    CSKA Moscow v Seville
    Lyon v Real Madrid (Worked Barca hard last year so maybe can do same to Madrid?)
    FC Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Man Utd
    With nearly all the big teams having the 2nd leg at home i can see most of them going through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Soby wrote: »
    My predictions anyway
    Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Inter Milan v Chelsea (slightly biased but 2nd leg at home so think we'll do it)
    CSKA Moscow v Seville
    Lyon v Real Madrid (Worked Barca hard last year so maybe can do same to Madrid?)
    FC Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Man Utd
    With nearly all the big teams having the 2nd leg at home i can see most of them going through
    Lyon will go through along with Fiorenta. Came out of a very strong group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

one thing is for sure regarding the Lyon v Real Madrid match

we'll see plenty of goals

Not as many as last year though. Of course United fans will be telling us Real were a team in transition last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Degag wrote: »
    Am i the only one who thinks Lyon have a serious chance of turning Madrid over?

No your not I think the same thing myself I really dont rate Madrid as high as some people now think they are since they bought massive over summer.

No your not I think the same thing myself I really dont rate Madrid as high as some people now think they are since they bought massive over summer.
    The most intriguing tie is chelsea v Inter. Jose will know that team inside out.

Dont start us off :D

• Advertisement

Olympiakos came close to making the knock out stages a few years ago. Think it was 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwilt4kfFM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

This is who I think will go through:

Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux
    Inter Milan v Chelsea
    CSKA Moscow v Seville
    Lyon v Real Madrid
    FC Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Man Utd

Lyon Vs Madrid, Chelsea Vs Inter will be the hardest to call.

If Inter actually start playing football in the CL then they can go through. I think this is a bad draw for them. They need a bit of momentum in the Champions League, but then again this would be a game to kick their awful, bottling, CL habit.

Arsenal Vs Porto will be good game to watch.

I think Barca, Bordeaux and Seville are certainties to go through, in my eyes.

Osu wrote: »
    This is who I think will go through:

Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux
    Inter Milan v Chelsea
    CSKA Moscow v Seville
    Lyon v Real Madrid
    FC Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Man Utd

Lyon Vs Madrid, Chelsea Vs Inter will be the hardest to call.

If Inter actually start playing football in the CL then they can go through. I think this is a bad draw for them. They need a bit of momentum in the Champions League, but then again this would be a game to kick their awful, bottling, CL habit.

Arsenal Vs Porto will be good game to watch.

I think Barca, Bordeaux and Seville are certainties to go through, in my eyes.
    Dont rule out fiorentina pulling off result against Bayern. No Ribery remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dont rule out fiorentina pulling off result against Bayern. No Ribery remember.

actually I read some where that Ribery is back

we could see him make his appearance on the bench at the weekend

Headshot wrote: »
    actually I read some where that Ribery is back

we could see him make his appearance on the bench at the weekend
    Heard he will be coming on in last minute. Having a very strong deja vu moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looking at the Lyon, they always seem to bottle it for the big knock-out matches. Not only that but they're going through a really rough patch in the league at the moment. Just lost the big one 1 - 0 at home to Bordeaux and are currently lying 4th.

Lyon v Real Madrid (Worked Barca hard last year so maybe can do same to Madrid?)h

I'd say you'd get very high odds, seeing as Ronaldinho takes the free kicks in that Milan team doesn't he?

Lyon worked Barca hard last year? They drew 1-1 at the Stade Gerland and Barca beat them 5-2 at the Camp Nou.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux
    Inter Milan v Chelsea
    CSKA Moscow v Seville
    Lyon v Real Madrid
    FC Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Man Utd

My guesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

:p

I think they might just turn Real over.Lyon looked a decent side against the other top team in their group, Fiorentina.

;)

United get the team to avoid imo.Hopefully we have gotten our shiz together come February...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Some tasty ties there, with Fiorentina vs Bayern being the most evenly poised really. People are massively overrating Bayern now after that one win in Turin, if anybody watched Juve that day they were absolutely atrocious, an embarrassment. And Barca absolutely drubbed Bayern last year home and away in the K.O stages. I reckon they'll lost to Fiorentina.

Bayern have been atrocious this year up to the game in Turin. In the league they had actually a worse start with van Gaal than they had with Klinsmann and Klinsmann was regarded as the ultimate disaster. People were wondering at that stage when (not 'if') van Gaal will get the boot.

The match in Turin was their 'squeaky bum time' and they turned it on quite impressively. It seems their league performance has been transformed too since that game. A few consecutive league wins see them now back to being serious title contenders.

Last year management was really pissed when they realized how big a gap there still was to the upper tier in Europe and they threw quite a bit of money at the problem. On paper they are one of the best Bayern squads ever.
    This year they have been bad because they had a lot of changes to their squad plus they had a new manager. Now they improved considerably. If they start to gel and their top guys stay somewhat injury free they could do anything.

Not getting excited just yet but look at that squad. Name one player in that first 11 or even 13 who wouldn't get a game in every other top club in Europe. How could they be overrated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wonder what sort of reception Beckham will get by the home fans at Old Trafford... anything less than a standing ovation for a former Man U legend, will be a disgrace in my book.

Hopefully, they won't give him the same reception the Liverpool "fans" gave Michael Owen at Anfield.

I wonder what sort of reception Beckham will get by the home fans at Old Trafford... anything less than a standing ovation for a former Man U legend, will be a disgrace in my book.

Hopefully, they won't give him the same reception the Liverpool "fans" gave Michael Owen at Anfield.

He will get an ovation for sure.

Sure Owen was only a money-grabber apparently, never reached legendary status even after the 'Arsenal' cup final , oh noes , he was always about the money, phact.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I'd say you'd get very high odds, seeing as Ronaldinho takes the free kicks in that Milan team doesn't he?

Lyon worked Barca hard last year? They drew 1-1 at the Stade Gerland and Barca beat them 5-2 at the Camp Nou.....

Well Becks hasent joined back yet i dont think so might take over..
    Woops forgot that was the final score.I just remember the 1-1 draw..Madrid to definitely go through then :pac:

Pool fans right to give Owen that reception. He doesnt have to look so darned pleased every time he scores for United. And so as not to stir up the proverbial hornets nest will leave it at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca got the best tie. It should be straightforward for them getting past Stuttgart. Weakest team there I think.

I just knew United would get Milan. Didn't see Chelsea getting Inter. The games are great but agree with whoever said it seemed predictable to the point of being dodgy...

My guesses on the games would be:

Stuttgart v Barcelona = Barca

Olympiakos v Bordeaux = Bordeaux

Inter Milan v Chelsea = Chelsea

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina = Bayern

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla = Sevilla

Lyon v Real Madrid = Real

FC Porto v Arsenal = Arsenal

AC Milan v Man Utd = United

Toughest ones to call look like being Olympiakos/Bordeaux and CSKA/Sevilla. The latter should be a cracking tie.

Pool fans right to give Owen that reception.

Why ? He gave his all for you , infact he was possibly the one name on any teamsheet most United fans feared along with Henry.How you have put him down to the feelings you have for him when he was above all the forwards you have had in many years is baffling.Yeah we know Fowler was class but he fooked his career up over ... ? Dun dun dun ....
    He doesnt have to look so darned pleased every time he scores for United.

Pleased he scored maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Stuttgart v Barcelona = Barca

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina = Fiorentina

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla = Moscow

Lyon v Real Madrid = Lyon

FC Porto v Arsenal = Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Real and Bayern must be delighted with their draws as they've picked up the two Group E teams.

The way I was looking at it was that all the group winners seem to be clear favourites in nearly every tie, but there is no way 100% of them will progress, so I'll try and predict where they'll be upsets.

Stuttgart v Barcelona = F.C Barcelona

Bayern Munich v Fiorentina = Bayern

CSKA Moscow v Sevilla = Sevilla

Lyon v Real Madrid = Madrid

FC Porto v Arsenal = Porto

Reckon the Porto Arsenal game could be a high scoring one, but for some strange feeling I can see Porto winning, even though it's a nice open attacking game (which Arsenal will be relishing).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

All the favourites to go through.

Advertisement