Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league draw

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder what sort of reception Beckham will get by the home fans at Old Trafford... anything less than a standing ovation for a former Man U legend, will be a disgrace in my book.

A lot will depend on the tabloids in the run-up to the MUFC / Milan game.
    If theres 'Beckham reignites his feud with SAF', 'Beckham - Milan are the biggest club in Europe', 'Cantona wouldn't lace Ronaldinhos boots' stories (accurate or not) in the Italian press (and reported as direct exclusives in the English tabloids) then he could get a poor reception.

If it was played without any of the above then I'd reckon he'll get his standing ovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he has already been back to OT - and received a great reception from the UNited fans.

I will again point out he is a liar though - and was more than happy to leave United at the time, and was negotiating to move way before any bid was accepted, despite him saying he never had any intention of leaving.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I reckon Fiorentina and Bayern will be a cracker of a tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Beckham is still adored by United fans. Has never hid his admiration of the club, and has always been public in his support for us since he left. He will get a fantastic reception, to expect otherwise is foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

A lot will depend on the tabloids in the run-up to the MUFC / Milan game.
    If theres 'Beckham reignites his feud with SAF', 'Beckham - Milan are the biggest club in Europe', 'Cantona wouldn't lace Ronaldinhos boots' stories (accurate or not) in the Italian press (and reported as direct exclusives in the English tabloids) then he could get a poor reception.

If it was played without any of the above then I'd reckon he'll get his standing ovation.

Yes cos 90% of any fans read the rags ??? Seriously your claim is based on nonsense
    he has already been back to OT - and received a great reception from the UNited fans.

I will again point out he is a liar though - and was more than happy to leave United at the time, and was negotiating to move way before any bid was accepted, despite him saying he never had any intention of leaving.

He will get an ovation regardless of what his advisers reminded him he was capable of making.We have moved on and have changed our style of play somewhat regarding players leaving. But We Are United, we adapt not whine like bishes.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pool fans right to give Owen that reception. He doesnt have to look so darned pleased every time he scores for United. And so as not to stir up the proverbial hornets nest will leave it at that

After the Newcastle debacle, Owen would be happy to smile for any team, whatever the shirt, but especially a prized Man Utd one. He's landed on his feet after a while in the wilderness and fair play to him.

He was a legend at Liverpool - everyone remembers him for that. Just like Beckham was at United.

If you do not understand this, and cannot wish him well, then you are a fanatic & not a supporter of football or even your club. There is a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wouldn't be 100 per cent confident Becks will get a good ovation at Old Trafford. The thing about David Beckham is he is not just a footballer but a brand and a lot of English people clearly dislike that aspect of him. You can sense that from the underlying hostility many feel as he edges toward being their most capped player.

I personally think he deserves a thunderous ovation for being a major part of United's success in the time he was there, especially the Treble season where he played a huge role. If he got a mixed reception I'd be disappointed. I'm sure Fergie will say a few nice things about him and vice-versa so hopefully it will be alright. As I say though I wouldn't be 100 per cent confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I wouldn't be 100 per cent confident Becks will get a good ovation at Old Trafford. The thing about David Beckham is he is not just a footballer but a brand and a lot of English people clearly dislike that aspect of him. You can sense that from the underlying hostility many feel as he edges toward being their most capped player.

I personally think he deserves a thunderous ovation for being a major part of United's success in the time he was there, especially the Treble season where he played a huge role. If he got a mixed reception I'd be disappointed. I'm sure Fergie will say a few nice things about him and vice-versa so hopefully it will be alright. As I say though I wouldn't be 100 per cent confident.

I agree with pretty much all your post apart from the bit in bold. I can't think of anyone I know in England (a lot of Leeds fans/Pool fans included) who dislike him. They recognise his ability and you can only admire the man for the way he has changed the publics opinions of him (in England) after all the bs in the 98 WC. People now just accept that the brand comes along with a genuinely talented and hard working pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

unitedengland.jpg

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much all your post apart from the bit in bold. I can't think of anyone I know in England (a lot of Leeds fans/Pool fans included) who dislike him. They recognise his ability and you can only admire the man for the way he has changed the publics opinions of him (in England) after all the bs in the 98 WC. People now just accept that the brand comes along with a genuinely talented and hard working pro.

Well I have to say having read a lot of comments on forums and letters pages from English people the perception I get is that there is a sizeable elment of dissatisfaction at his supposedly cheap caps as a sub, his work with the FA as an ambassador etc.

I would hope this is a minority and I can't recall him getting abuse at England games or anything, but I do think there is an undercurrent of hostility there from certain sections who do not want him at the 2010 World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well I have to say having read a lot of comments on forums and letters pages from English people the perception I get is that there is a sizeable elment of dissatisfaction at his supposedly cheap caps as a sub, his work with the FA as an ambassador etc.

I would hope this is a minority and I can't recall him getting abuse at England games or anything, but I do think there is an undercurrent of hostility there from certain sections who do not want him at the 2010 World Cup.

Meh. I have not encountered anything even remotely like this when at home or even from reading stuff in the press. Anyone I talk to only speaks of admiration from him which is a far cry from the situation 10 years ago when 'he was the reason we got knocked out of the WC':rolleyes:.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Meh. I have not encountered anything even remotely like this when at home or even from reading stuff in the press. Anyone I talk to only speaks of admiration from him which is a far cry from the situation 10 years ago when 'he was the reason we got knocked out of the WC':rolleyes:.

I think that's the way it should be. To use an Irish example though, and this is somewhat flawed because Beckham is so unique, but if we take Robbie Keane who in my view has been a great servant for Ireland over the years, I've noticed from talking to people there is an element of hostlity towards him over his style of play, attitude on the pitch etc.

I figured it was a similar situation with Beckham. The majority appreciative, but an element, perhaps a minority element, who just don't care for him.

Perhaps I'm paying too much attention to vocal minorities but I've had the impression that Beckham is not as popular as one would think. Personally though I regard him as a United legend and hope he gets a top reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

d22ontour wrote: »
    Why ? He gave his all for you , infact he was possibly the one name on any teamsheet most United fans feared along with Henry.How you have put him down to the feelings you have for him when he was above all the forwards you have had in many years is baffling.Yeah we know Fowler was class but he fooked his career up over ... ? Dun dun dun ....

Pleased he scored maybe ?
    Tell you this much. If dalglish had signed for united they wouldn't be calling him King Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I for one am very disappointed with the draw, but as usual, United get one of the toughest draws that they can get.

I'm happy we're away first. I think we can score against them. Their defence looks very weak imo, and I hope we can exploit it. Fletcher will be a huge huge factor in the game, huge. Berbatov I also expect to do well against the Milan defence. I think its far from a fore-gone conclusion, and they have some world-class attacking talent in Pato and Ronaldinho. But I hope we can take them.

Barca will walk it. Inter vs. Chelsea is interesting. Mourinho has a bit of talent and knows the Chelsea team like the back of his hand, so probably knows how to beat them. Chelsea obviously have the stronger team. Very interesting game, and I'm happy I'll get to watch it due to the timing issues.

I expect Arsenal to win it fairly easily. easy enough draw. I expect Madrid to beat Lyon. Ronaldo will make that happen on his own :) Also Lyon aren't as strong imo as people make out. United beat them fairly comfortably last year I felt, never hugely threatened.

All in all, gah. That said, United win cups when they get tough draws along the way. It sharpens the team. So I guess that's a good thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

mayordenis wrote: »
    I reckon Fiorentina and Bayern will be a cracker of a tie.

Hopefully Bayern play with the same heart they've been playing with in the last few weeks. They've a game today against Hertha Berlin which will be interesting to watch after their 5-1 win last week.

If they play well and Ribery isn't still injured (he hurt his toe this week in training, it's like he tries to find new things to injure deliberately) then the Bayern team will be epic.

Either way, as a Bayern fan I think we got off lightly with the draw. Could have been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Beckham came back to Old Trafford in a Liverpool shirt, I doubt he'd get a great reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Holsten wrote: »
    Stuttgart v Barcelona
    Olympiakos v Bordeaux
    Inter Milan v Chelsea
    Bayern Munich v Fiorentina
    CSKA Moscow v Seville
    Lyon v Real Madrid
    FC Porto v Arsenal
    AC Milan v Man Utd

My guesses.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES YOU SUPPORT LIVERPOOL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Why are you shouting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

is there something wrong with that?

it may make an opinion a little biased, but so what?

there's no need to shout about it.

Advertisement