Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XHTML Columns - Content Floating

Options
  • 17-12-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, Having a problem with a web-page design (i'm a newbie at this so this is probably very straightforward but I can't seem to get it working)

I have a table with two columns and in the left hand column I'm using divs to put in short blocks of formatted text (div id for a block of text with div classes to format the headings of the text etc.) This is working fine as the first block of text is at the top of the table and subsequent divs are directly underneath that, all the way down the column.

However, when I try to do the same thing with the right hand column the first div ends up half-way down the page instead of starting up at the top, and I can't figure out why!

The CSS I'm using is as follows:

Div ID for left-hand column divs:

#news{
    position:relative;
    float:left;
    width: 500px;
    left:10px;
    padding: 10px;
    }

Div ID for right-hand column divs:
    #links {
    position:relative;
    float:right;
    width: 300px;
    right:10px;
    padding: 10px;
    }

There's obviously LOADS more code than than but I'm not sure how much to put up here would be useful? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been working on this for hours and getting nowhere.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Moved from Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Maybe you could just try something like:
    margin-top: 300px;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

set the table tds to valign="top", pretty sure that'll work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 spaniel

Perfect I can't believe this didn't occur to me, thanks a million!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

spaniel wrote: »
    Perfect I can't believe this didn't occur to me, thanks a million!!!

No problem, glad it worked :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement