Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training a cat not to scratch

Options
  • 18-12-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

my first animal post:)

i have a male cat, who is about 6 mths old. he playfights with my arms and legs- biting and scratching, but as he is getting older and bigger it is leaving scratch marks all over me. im destroyed!

i have tried shouting at him, and scruffing him - where i grab him by the scruff of the neck and push him to the floor, shouting 'No' loudly, but you can tell by his tail swishing that it annoys him more and just waits until i let go and lunges again at me. ive tried swatting him on the head the way his ma might have. even blowing in his face and yelling at him doesnt bother him

have anyone trained a cat out of this? can you share your wisdom with me.
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Hiya my 2 male 5 month old kittens do this too. Iv found that while they've my hand in their grasp and teeth are sinking in, I let my hand go loose and say OWW repeatedly. They usually loosen their grip once the fight is gone for it. I dont think shouting or scuffing him is nice for the relationship you're trying to build with him. Thats my opinion anyway.

Incidentedly their mom was like that as a kitten and now that shes an adult she still plays and tries to get my hand, but she hasnt scratched or bit me since she was young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tinkerbell09

thanks for that. i really hate shouting at him, or swiping him, but i read on some pet care websites to do this. i have about 40 scratch marks on my arms, and neck, and i really want to train him out of this in the best way possible for him, my scratches will heal.

i think he is hyper as we are at work all day, and really loves the company when we return, so i think its just that really, as well as being a still young cat. i am thinking of getting him neutered in the new year so that may help his hormones!

i will try your suggestion, it sound like a better way tbh. thanks again!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Have you tried spraying your hands legs hands with something he does not like! Not joking. To put off a puppy chewing you can put something on your hand that he/she does not like the taste of. I used to smear a little bit of toothpaste on my hand and my dog would stop chewing. Might work with a cat too.

Advertisement