Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas study

Options
  • 18-12-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

well,how much are you all planning to do?what have the teachers been recommending?I'm taking Christmas eve,day and Stephen's day off and probably new years day!how many hours are you planning?I'm thinking about six a day!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

22nd to the 2nd im taking a break. im kinda finding this year easy but some serious work will occur after january.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

22nd to the 2nd im taking a break. im kinda finding this year easy but some serious work will occur after january.
    Nice break, enjoy!:). I'm just taking this weekend off, crimbo and new years eve. Seriously need to revise wooo:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My Chemistry teacher advised waiting until January to start revising. But I'll have to start earlier than that considering the work load the rest of my teachers have piled on.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

frog.girl! wrote: »
    well,how much are you all planning to do?what have the teachers been recommending?I'm taking Christmas eve,day and Stephen's day off and probably new years day!how many hours are you planning?I'm thinking about six a day!
    I hope your plan is a little more detailed than that? A certain number of hours per subject, further divided into time devoted to some sub topics, etc...
    Unstructured study goals are a recipe for Christmas misery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 frog.girl!

haha well I would hope so too.I'm hardly going to post up my whole study plan up now am I?:) Just wondering what everyone else is planning to do,in the hope that I will be inspired and stick to my colour coded,alphabetical and highlighted study plan ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

lol sometimes study plans take more time and effort than study! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Wow, I'm so impressed

Why can't I be you...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Not sure but i have tons of work to do so i plan on getting it all done and studying each subject a bit each day and hopefully get a good bit done. The years flying by though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Wow, I'm so impressed

Why can't I be you...?

You were warned only yesterday about posting pointless and unhelpful comments. For taking an unnecessary sarcastic dig at another user, have another infraction and a month off.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Not sure but i have tons of work to do so i plan on getting it all done and studying each subject a bit each day and hopefully get a good bit done. The years flying by though!

Isn't it flying??

These last 3 months have been a total blur!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭RD77

Take it from someone who did their leaving last year, enjoy the holidays and don't worry about exams! I did a lot of studying last christmas and it ruined the whole holiday. To be honest I had forgotten most of the stuff and ended up having to doing it again later on. Life is too short to be worrying about exams so just enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

RD77 wrote: »
    Take it from someone who did their leaving last year, enjoy the holidays and don't worry about exams! I did a lot of studying last christmas and it ruined the whole holiday. To be honest I had forgotten most of the stuff and ended up having to doing it again later on. Life is too short to be worrying about exams so just enjoy yourself!

That's right. Get out and have a kick around. Kids these days spend too much time studying. In my day we were out mopping up our skills in the park. Kids these days should do the same or else the breed of young talent will die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Planning on doing something anyway.....probably try and revise the music set works.....and the microeconomics in economics..I need those A's..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

actually im doing economics on my own how do you recommend i study for it?

i'm gonna study economics and maths over the christmas. france is an automatic a1, history, geog and business i'm fine and i'll manag a high c or low b in english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

lol...are you serious???..
    im planning piss ups rather than study tbh..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Sweet feck all! :D Never studied in my life until the day before an exam and not gonna start now.

Take Christmas off, plenty of time to study after, sure you'll just forget it all anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

I'm gonna spend at least one hour a day contemplating study and the rest of that day contemplating what the f*** I did last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yenoBAYUB

i wish i knew. i finished up today, took loadsa my books home, havent done a tap and just dont know where to start. I only got biology homework for the holidays, so im thinking get that out of the way forst, then just start revising on chapter one in every subject and take it from there, it has to be done, I'm absolutly terrified at this stage, but i just dont know how to study!! Im thinking making notes and then doing sample exam questions...? Is this a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

It's christmas! Don't study ffs:D

that seems to be alot of my friends attitudes, but honestly, i was away for the october break, and couldnt do anything, so i think christmas is the perfect time to catch up as much as i can, lifes just so hectic at the mo, school, work, friends, boyfriend, alcohol etc., just gonna have to cut back and study my tushie off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

My teachers recommended a week off and week of study but who knows how that one will turn out... :p

My teachers didnt really say anything about it, just one said to do a bit of work for our mocks over the christmas, that was it. We need advice, lol

I would strongly advise everyone not to go stressing themselves out over Christmas. You still have over 5 months until the exams; that's plenty of time left to study and revise. You all need some time off, so enjoy your holidays and don't spoil them by getting bogged down in study or getting worked up about the thought of exams.

I would strongly advise everyone not to go stressing themselves out over Christmas. You still have over 5 months until the exams; that's plenty of time left to study and revise. You all need some time off, so enjoy your holidays and don't spoil them by getting bogged down in study or getting worked up about the thought of exams.

I dunno...like i know theres five months left, but its a two year course!

yenoBAYUB wrote: »

Well, if you're thinking about it that way....what difference does two weeks make to a two year course in the grand scheme of things?
    I'm not saying do no study (although if you don't, it's not the end of the world) I'm just saying don't go overdoing it and ruining your Christmas holidays. You can afford to take it easy for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Well, if you're thinking about it that way....what difference does two weeks make to a two year course in the grand scheme of things?
    I'm not saying do no study (although if you don't, it's not the end of the world) I'm just saying don't go overdoing it and ruining your Christmas holidays. You can afford to take it easy for two weeks.

Amen to that brother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 free gaff?

yenoBAYUB wrote: »

hardly. teachers waste so much time. i mean if it was me the leaving cert cycle would be 3 years but the course itself could be done in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

free gaff? wrote: »
    hardly. teachers waste so much time. i mean if it was me the leaving cert cycle would be 3 years but the course itself could be done in a year.

Indeed. The majority of teachers don't push you at all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hi Guys

From a teacher's perspective, I never give extra work during the Christmas break.

And I don't think you should be doing too much either!! This is your last break of 2009. You only have the Feb mid-term (which will be eaten up with oral prep) and the Easter break - during that one I would advise to do as much as you can.

The problem with this break is the following:

While you have a lot of the year done, you have a lot to go yet. You are only exactly half way through the year - so you have all the same to go again.

If you do not take this break you will find yourself needing it badly in January and there will be so much pressure on with the mocks by then that you will seriously burn out.

If you must do work over the Christmas, I would suggest light, but meaningful stuff like the following:

Organise your notes - get them all together and know where everything is.
    Clean up your room permanently; ie: throw out all the crap, and get your study area manageable.
    Create/design posters for your walls that contain the English quotes, French/Span/German/Irish/Whatever vocab. grammar, Maths/Physics formulae. That way you will have them around you, in your way for 6 months - bound to help you remember them (Just don't put up too much - alternate between posters)

Don't overdo it at Christmas!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

actually im doing economics on my own how do you recommend i study for it?

Im in the same boat..

I just highlight the main points in the ch and just keep going over them,
    aswell its good to remember about 3/4 points for each thing (like 4 types of economy/diseconomy of scale, 4 assumptions of monopoly,oligopoly etc.. maybe 5 incase ya forget one)

http://www.youtube.com/user/pajholden This fella is handy for explaining the curves and stuff:pac:

Advertisement