Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to open a credit union savings account and get a loan striaghtaway

Options
  • 18-12-2009 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

If i opened up a credit union account tomorrow with 500 euro could I get a 1500 euro loan immediately?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I would say it's unlikely. They'll proably want you to have a history of saving with them for a while (probably a few months) before they give you a loan. They may agree to lend if you get someone to be a guarantor on it though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

credit unions can give loans based on your ability to repay, just like banks. It does depend on the credit union though. You don't need a long history, or any real savings, but expecting to join and walk out with the money is asking a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

I'm afraid not vampirekiss, my brother tried that one and they didn't say no directly, rather, they "advised" him to save a few bob first. Good principal, if you cannot afford to save, then you cannot afford a loan!

Advertisement