Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warranty on laptop bought in harvey norman

Options
  • 18-12-2009 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi bought a laptop 2 years ago in harvey norman and took out a 3 year warrenty on it, unfortunately it broke down and i took it back - they rang me today and said there was moisture damage to the keyboard and wasn't covered by the warranty it will cost me 20 euri plus vat to return it to me, or 100 euro to investigate further and probably 363 euro to fix..what exactly does the warranty cover??? any ideas please help
    thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

What happened the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

maggeemay wrote: »
    hi bought a laptop 2 years ago in harvey norman and took out a 3 year warrenty on it, unfortunately it broke down and i took it back - they rang me today and said there was moisture damage to the keyboard and wasn't covered by the warranty it will cost me 20 euri plus vat to return it to me, or 100 euro to investigate further and probably 363 euro to fix..what exactly does the warranty cover??? any ideas please help
    thank you

Harvey Normans extended warrenty will not cover accidental damage i.e. water damage. The warrenty they sell basically just extends the warrenty already on the machine, so for example if anything was to happen the machine due to manufacturer fault it would be covered. I've never heard of paying to get your laptop back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You give it into the branch, or did they collect it from you? If they collected, I think they can charge you the €20 to return it to you. If, however, you gave it into a branch, and they sent it away, I don't think that they can charge you. How much did the laptop cost brand new? Is it worth getting it fixed for that price? Fro the costing, I'm thinking that the motherboard and a few bits inside got damaged, but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

This may sound bad, but if they're quoting that price to get it fixed then you would be better off buying a new laptop as they're not much dearer than that. You can get them in retail shops for about €399. Thats if you have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If the keyboard is the only problem (eg. some keys don't work), you should be able to find a replacement keyboard for your model on eBay for less than €30.

Replacing a laptop keyboard is very straightforward:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Snowbat wrote: »
    If the keyboard is the only problem (eg. some keys don't work), you should be able to find a replacement keyboard for your model on eBay for less than €30.

Replacing a laptop keyboard is very straightforward:
    Except the problem is usually not the keyboard but the grid below it and if that got moist on it (in my friend's case milk) it can be a big pain to try to get it to work even with a new keyboard on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

the_syco wrote: »
    You give it into the branch, or did they collect it from you? If they collected, I think they can charge you the €20 to return it to you. If, however, you gave it into a branch, and they sent it away, I don't think that they can charge you. How much did the laptop cost brand new? Is it worth getting it fixed for that price? Fro the costing, I'm thinking that the motherboard and a few bits inside got damaged, but I may be wrong.

they are charging an inspect and delivery fee for the laptop going to the repair centre. Normally this is paid for by the warranty. If the OP signed an agreement stating these repair terms, then he might be liable for the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

yup.

this fee is coming from the repair agent (manufacturer) not the retailer.

if a non-warrant repair occurs when it was claimed to be a warranted repair, of course they are going to charge for the collection and viewing of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Nody wrote: »
    Except the problem is usually not the keyboard but the grid below it and if that got moist on it (in my friend's case milk) it can be a big pain to try to get it to work even with a new keyboard on top.
    If by grid you mean the flexible plastic sheet(s) containing the switch contacts and conductive traces, that part is already inside a replacement laptop keyboard assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Normally this is paid for by the warranty.
    If the fault is due to a manufatcuring fault, yes, and all associated charges are covered. But if it's not a manufatcuring fault, then usually no costs are covered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement