Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Issue

Options
  • 17-12-2009 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I ordered a dvd from amazon last weekend and opted for standard postage .We were shown the final price and currency converter at 10 euro.It arrived by ups last monday with a charge of over 24 euro.I have got a refund with difficulty but want to warn other shoppers to take care.Do they think that people are too busy to notice at Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Newtogame, to be honest I reckon that might be a pretty isolated incident as I have ordered countless times from Amazon over the last few years and that never happened to me or any of the other regular Amazon users I know either, I'll definately keep an eye on any future transactions though just in case!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

newtogame wrote: »
    I ordered a dvd from amazon last weekend and opted for standard postage .We were shown the final price and currency converter at 10 euro.It arrived by ups last monday with a charge of over 24 euro.I have got a refund with difficulty but want to warn other shoppers to take care.Do they think that people are too busy to notice at Christmas?

Did you buy from amazon or an amazon marketplace seller? trying to figure your post out as it's not making sense how you were charged an additional €24. As you did get a refund were you told why you were charged that extra €24?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split to new thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

This sounds like a custom charge. OP did you order from outside the EU? Im not following as to why UPS would charge you at the door for delivery. Stuff bought on Amazon delivery is paid for before the item is sent. If you bought in marketplace again delivery should have been pre-arranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Possibly you ordered from Amazon USA? - Was price in dollars?

Even though, duty/vat should not have been charged due to low value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

newtogame wrote: »

Sounds like you ordered from the states or another non-EU country (ie: not directly from amazon.co.uk), if this is the casde then you are liable for any or all custom charges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sounds like you ordered from the states or another non-EU country (ie: not directly from amazon.co.uk), if this is the casde then you are liable for any or all custom charges

It could still be a customs issue even if bought from amazon.co.uk, as they items to Ireland from Jersey, which is not part of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Amazon UK use An Post for all deliveries in Ireland and all delivery charges are billed before despatch. Never had any problems with Amazon at all. Did all my Christmas shopping with them this year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It could still be a customs issue even if bought from amazon.co.uk, as they items to Ireland from Jersey, which is not part of the EU.

You sure they're in Jersey?
    Is that not play.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't think you're correct there.

Amazon.co.uk state that all items shipped to Ireland are already charged for VAT.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200395880

So, I'm guessing that the OP either bought from amazon.com or from amazon marketplace (not amazon but a 3rd party trader who is not in the EU).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Cabaal wrote: »
    You sure they're in Jersey?
    Is that not play.com?

Amazon have a sub/sister company called indigo starfish that ship cds and dvds from Jersey but I think they come up in listings similiar to the marketplace sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

Indigo Starfish is Amazon's jersey merchant but things hardly ever come form them, mostly dvds and things, In general aswell it seems they might just use them when Amazon themselves are out of stock as I have bought some dvd box sets in the past, I always waited until Amazon were selling them themselves instead of when they were selling them through Indigo Starfish,
    I'm having a small problem of my own at the moment trying to order a few last minute things from Amazon,
    I want to get them sent Ups but I'm not being given the option to change to priority shipping on final pages of checkout,
    If I ordered some of the items seperately I could but I would be paying priority shipping several times to complete the order and some items don't have the option at all even though they are all in stock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

mcaul wrote: »

Even though, duty/vat should not have been charged due to low value.

There is no indication in the OP post of the price of the item. The €10 I would assume is the price of the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Recently i had stuff bought on Amazon that was mailed from Dublin to me.
    Mail stamp said so plus next day delivery (with free delivery selected when ordering) .

€24 extra while delivered with UPS ... it just can have been send by amazon.co.uk if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

The dvd was ordered directly from amazon.co .uk.The final amount due when I completed the order showed on screen.It was to come standard delivery.They refunded me as they were in the wrong.(after a long discussion)My point was to warn other buyers to watch out for that.I too ordered from amazon before and didnt have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

maybe one of those things and the fact they refunded eventually means it was a misunderstanding/mistake. Thanks OP, hope it doesn't happen to anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They can only charge to your card what it says on the final screen, and you have to confirm that price. If it said €10 and they charged €24, then they have a major problem with their payment systems.

It sounds more likely that you ordered from a re-seller who does charge delivery, otherwise what happened is just bizarre.

More precise details needed before this can be called an "Amazon issue"

Advertisement