Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro: Graphics Cards?

• 18-12-2009 3:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Got a quick question about the MacBook pro. Looking at the 15 inch model, at the two higher end prices. just wondering if it's worth it to go for the 512mb graphics card or the 256. What games 'won't' I be able to play on the 256 if I go for it? Also another probably stupid question, is it possible to upgrade a new macbook pro? Even if I sent it off to apple for them to do it for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Got a quick question about the MacBook pro. Looking at the 15 inch model, at the two higher end prices. just wondering if it's worth it to go for the 512mb graphics card or the 256. What games 'won't' I be able to play on the 256 if I go for it?
    Uh oh, you just said "Mac" and "games" within close proximity to each other. I love Macs but I'm gonna have to agree with what others will undoubtedly tell you in this regard. To answer your question - no. If the only reason you have for going higher is games performance you might want to reconsider the Mac altogether.
    Also another probably stupid question, is it possible to upgrade a new macbook pro? Even if I sent it off to apple for them to do it for me?
    Depends on what you want to upgrade. The RAM and the HDD you can do yourself no problem ( - don't buy RAM from Apple). There is also nothing stopping you from replacing the built-in battery - although Apple insist that they do it for you. The graphics card and processor - no, they are physically soldered to the logic board as with most laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Uh oh, you just said "Mac" and "games" within close proximity to each other. I love Macs but I'm gonna have to agree with what others will undoubtedly tell you in this regard. To answer your question - no. If the only reason you have for going higher is games performance you might want to reconsider the Mac altogether.

I know Mac doesn't have a great reputation for games, would I be able to 'for example' install my copy of Win7 as a partition on it and be able to play MW1 or (dare I say) MW2 (probably pushing it there to be honest). If not then it's fine, its not really going to influence my decision much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I know Mac doesn't have a great reputation for games, would I be able to 'for example' install my copy of Win7 as a partition on it and be able to play MW1 or (dare I say) MW2 (probably pushing it there to be honest).
    Of course. Both games would probably play fine on medium settings at least (I don't know if MW2 is more demanding). It is not that Macs cannot play games, it is just that they aren't particularly good value as games machines. No doubt the extra 256MB VRAM would be a benefit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Wow really? Thanks for the info, im not buying the MBP as a gaming machine, it's just nice to know I have the ability to even run the game. Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

I run MW on that very MacBook Pro without a problem. Its set at its default graphics setting
    and runs smoothly and without glitches..! Thats on the Mac... wouldnt put windozzze sh1te on my machine.:rolleyes:

Rats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Incidentally I have the 15" MBP and did (haven't put it back since updating to snow leopard) have a winXP partition with steam on it. Ran left4dead and team fortress 2 fine

Advertisement