Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Could Change One Thing About Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Remove multiculturalism :pac:

How far back do you want to go - Pre Viking era? Let's just remove all culture altogether. That'd sort it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

How far back do you want to go - Pre Viking era? Let's just remove all culture altogether. That'd sort it.

Nah, their culture was already removed. 1990's will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I would have us eat more shellfish. Go to any other country with half a shore and they have markets full of cheap food from the sea. All you can get here is cod. WTF is that all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

We should just have a thread about what we wouldn't change.

It would be much shorter..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lee_

cue wrote: »
    I would have us eat more shellfish. Go to any other country with half a shore and they have markets full of cheap food from the sea. All you can get here is cod. WTF is that all about?

Very good point, maybe it has something to do with the cold climate, wonder if the costal areas of Scandanavian countries are more into the whole ShellFish/ Market culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Make Ireland compltely bilingual, with Irish being the prodominant language.

Also no more tabloids / 'celeb' gossip / British and American influence on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

GLUEY wrote: »
    Make Ireland compltely bilingual, with Irish being the prodominant language.

Also no more tabloids / 'celeb' gossip / British and American influence on Ireland.

So, no more internet then?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So, no more internet then?

As in those crap British and American tv shows and the likes, I'm a celebrity, Big Brother blah. Not compltely obviously, just the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Change One Thing About Ireland...

Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Nepotism. Thinkin someone knows what's best for the country cos his grandfather stuck his finger up at a black and tan when he wasn't lookin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 free gaff?

ireland needs many changes, first of all it needs to start acting 'european' as opposed to the british crap.

As in those crap British and American tv shows and the likes, I'm a celebrity, Big Brother blah. Not compltely obviously, just the crap.

So, you want us all watching Fair City and the Late Late show round the clock?

So, you want us all watching Fair City and the Late Late show round the clock?

No I never said all American and British tv is crap. It's a lot better than ours I just said to cut out the crap. Basically all that reality stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Right now: the cold.

In general: the apathy.

No I never said all American and British tv is crap. It's a lot better than ours I just said to cut out the crap. Basically all that reality stuff.

Ah, so it's the tabloidy/celebrity **** thing? In fairness, we produce our fair share of crap here, too. Remember the farmhouse? Or the Sunday World?

Ban it all, I say. Irrespecitve of the country of origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

-The weather
    -The goverment
    -The price of basic items
    -Re-introduce milk rounds (Childhood nostaligia here)
    -Introduce mass sterlization for anyone who watches Big Brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

free gaff? wrote: »
    ireland needs many changes, first of all it needs to start acting 'european' as opposed to the british crap.

What are you talking about? Do you not think 800 years of colonial rule would not have a greater impact on us than 36 years of EU membership? We are European to all intents and purposes, 1979 Ireland joined the EMU and abandoned the Bank of England, our government is borrowing billions from the ECB for NAMA, and like any successful monetary union (i.e. there is always rich and poor areas e.g. just like the Rust Belt of the US, North of England etc...)we're going to be so European that we will be one of the poorest members of the EU within the next five years. So we're on the path to being super European, just not the street cafes, "Le Royale with Cheese" and all that crap.;)

Ah, so it's the tabloidy/celebrity **** thing? In fairness, we produce our fair share of crap here, too. Remember the farmhouse? Or the Sunday World?

Ban it all, I say. Irrespecitve of the country of origin.

Not half as bad though. Round them all up and organise a new reality programme where celebs play with traffic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

McChubbin wrote: »
    -The weather
    -The goverment
    -The price of basic items
    -Re-introduce milk rounds (Childhood nostaligia here)
    -Introduce mass sterlization for anyone who watches Big Brother and X-Factor.

FYP there for ya.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd change how some people seem to hate the Irish identity, and blame it for their own misfortunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Change the psyche of the nation from the current begrudgery to a nation that celebrates success and tries to emulate the successful, not knock them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I would make a law that I could make love to any woman that I liked at any time I liked.

blinding wrote: »
    I would make a law that I could make love to any woman that I liked at any time I liked.

Some of us don't need laws. ;)

I however do. I REALLY do! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 StarshipTrooper

ArseBurger wrote: »
    (note I simply use Caucasian because IQ testing is based upon race and Ireland is predominantly Caucasian - unfortunately).

Sorry could you clear this up for me - are you saying it's unfortunate that IQ testing is based on race or it's unfortunate that Ireland is a caucasian country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

* The weather
    * Narrow mindedness
    * People that are two faced - extremely common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭jif

wear sunscreen baz was right.

serious answer: the OTT drinking culture everyone plays to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Pineapple_Boi

i'd get rid of all the anti-theists on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd change it into LA without any of the bad bits.

Biggins wrote: »
    Right now: the cold.

In general: the apathy.

+1

just look how sheepishly the last budget was accepted, even the "carbon tax"! :mad: >:[]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

Have people realise that "Irishness" and our culture has very little to do with the Irish language.
    Use computers to make government more efficient (sadly impossible as no one in the civil service seems to have the skill and modernity is opposed by the unions).

Advertisement