Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Could Change One Thing About Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Its latitude

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

increased range of cheeses....and ban Galtee cheese.....it's an abomination !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

increased range of cheeses....and ban Galtee cheese.....it's an abomination !!!

She tells me that her dream is to set up a dairy in the Middle East, selling milk-based products to customers, be they Israeli, Arab, Palestinian, Roman or leper.

And she shall call it Cheeses of Nazareth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

She tells me that her dream is to set up a dairy in the Middle East, selling milk-based products to customers, be they Israeli, Arab, Palestinian, Roman or leper.

And she shall call it Cheeses of Nazareth.

Preferred the cartoon on the Jesus LOL thread...:pac:
    (Doesn't the pic smiley look like a big slab of edam with a chunk cut out?)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

definetly the weather!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I think Irish society are too afraid of the law to be honest. We're robots, programmed to dive for our seat belt if a Gard is spotted (not that I condone not wearing a seat belt, but I was just making an example). We're afraid of everything, Europe is, in general. London is the most watched city in the world - Big Brother style and it's sickening.

There's no privacy, no liberty anymore. In fact, the Illuminati have Ireland high on their lists of successful planning if they are to succeed in fitting the worlds population with chips in the future - sure, we're Irish, we'd volunteer.

Oh you believe in that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Just one thing....................................scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I would change taxes and where tax monies go to.

Each constituency would have more control over its own policies. A basic percentage of income tax would be paid to the government in Dublin and the rest of it would stay in the constituency. Each local council could control the rate that is paid to them.

So let's say for a basic income tax. 10% could be fixed for national government taxes and the rest could fluctuate between, say, 8-15% depending on that council's budget. The County Councils wouldn't need to be begging from Dublin any more looking for money for local projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kaedan

There are too many things I would change.

Firstly, TDs would be elected based on what they can and will do for the WHOLE COUNTRY and not what they will do for their friends and family back home. ( Tds wouldn't be elected because their great grandad carried a rifle 10 YDs up a road back in 1921 wearing a trenchcoat )

Secondly, the law would actually be enforced in every aspect of life. No more suspended sentences. More jails. When the Government do f*ck up, the person responsible would be punished. Instead of spending millions for solicitors and blah blah to investigate and talk about it only for nothing to come of it.

and thirdly, People would have respect for this country. I hate seeing idiots outside schools smoking at 15 saying a load of crap about how awesome the IRA are and how much they love Ireland even though they are littering and breaking Irish law -.-. Maybe introduce a proper method of education instead of learning stuff off to score points then to go onto college to waste away until you eventually grow the F up.

P.S Remove this crappy Conservative, Religious, abortion is wrong, vote no to Lisbon hur durrrrr ima leave my land to the church, priests arent to blame for sex abuse duuuuuuuurrr "policitcal view"! Its not called CHURCH, its politics now GTFO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

one thing

sean fitzpatrick in prison for fraud and misrepresentation

moved billions on and off anglo books for a few days at audit time

deceit,

people are in prison for not paying tv licence..

ENOUGH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

dvpower wrote: »
    Its latitude

no weather expert but i suspect the gulf stream has more effect on irelands weather than its latitude, dublin is the same latitude as edmonton in canada and parts of southern alaska (53 degrees), those places get as low as -40 or 50 celcius in winter, a snowflake here and the capital grinds to a halt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

unreggd wrote: »
    People's attitudes

Almost everyone is negative and pessimistic about every single thing

Irony!
    People constantly moan about things, but do nothing to address them

On Paddy's day everyone arses around town off their heads, rantin about bein proud to be Irish. The same people who say fxck Irish, it's a dead language, and prob think Cú Chulainn is a rapper

I know technically I'm complainig as well just by posting this, but the "Sure what can ya do?" attitude of the majority of Irish people is infuriating sometimes.

Try a little positivity and motivation for once! Problems like the recession won't seem so eternal and depressing then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Put a roof over it, get rid of the current shower of muppets that form our government, and give everyone a dose of cop on and forward thinking.

And maybe a bridge to the UK/the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Phil D wrote: »
    Use computers to make government more efficient (sadly impossible as no one in the civil service seems to have the skill and modernity is opposed by the unions).

www.motortax.ie
    Never heard of ROS, Revenue on line?
    The 1911 census is scanned and available on line
    Practically every question you could have on entitlements is on www.welfare.ie or www.citizensinformation.ie

It's not all bad, government bodies have some good achievements.
    But let's bash them instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I would get rid of the GAA mafia

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

-Remove our dependency on Foreign fuel/energy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I must also, for the record, point out that I'd be 100% against religion being a part of the academic agenda in schools. I read a survey where nearly half of the Irish population believed humans walked with dinosaurs. Evolution is a must, an integral part of our development if we are to advance as a society and I didn't so much as get a whiff of any of it in school.

I thought the days of the Church running Ireland were over?!

I'm also 100% for getting religion out of schools. It's a private matter and should be taught to children in a different non-State sponsored environment (i.e. at home, at the church, at the mosque etc.).

But, your point about the dinosaurs has nothing to do with religion being taught at schools. The Catholic Church has no problem with evolution, so creationism is not taught in our schools at the request of the church. People thinking that humans walked with dinosaurs is simply plain stupidity and ignorance, not the fault of the Church.

**For the record, I am not defending the RC Church in any way**

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kaedan

Phil D wrote: »
    Have people realise that "Irishness" and our culture has very little to do with the Irish language.
    Use computers to make government more efficient (sadly impossible as no one in the civil service seems to have the skill and modernity is opposed by the unions).

I'm actually doing an Audit in a County Council at the moment. They have one of the biggest networks in Leinster and its very very modern. I'm amazed at how skilled they are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

I would move the capital city into the middle of the country...mainly to provide a more balanced hinterland. Not saying it would work though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Set up a Netherlands-style rail network covering every part of the country. Every town with a population above 500 would have a rail station or close access to one via shuttle bus. They would run cheaply and frequently so that people could access ANY part of the country to visit friends, play a match, go shopping, camping, whatever without having to drive or get a lift. Also cycle lanes to the stations and secure cages to lock bikes...or bring the bike on board.
    Currently if you wanted to take a train from Sligo to Ballina you would have to go via Dublin. How Fücking BRILLIANT is that??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Make everyone an Orangeman. Then everyone would get plenty of exercise and could march everywhere and anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Just one little thing I would change, I'm a grown up, let me buy a bottle of wine after 10 o'clock.
    There are 15 year old's in nightclubs getting plastered, we are known as a nation of alcoholics and I can't buy a teeny tiny bockle of vino after 10 o'clock.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chilloutman

if i could change one thing about ireland i would change that i purchased a house at the height of the boom and will be paying it out for rest of my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

BLACKS OUT!!!

I'm tired of them overpricing their flowers
    http://blacksgardencentre.com/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

make our mountains higher, wamer dryer summers, and colder winters with plenty of snow. If we had proper bloody seasons rather than this middle of the road weather we always get we'd have the best country in the world. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Make Gaeilge a chosen subject after the Junior Certificate...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

mariaf24 wrote: »

i'd prefer a complete shake up in the syllabus but keep it compulsory personally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Travellers, travel the fukk away and never come back!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mariaf24 wrote: »

or just change the way its taught so students will actually be at the level to hold a conversation after 12 or so years studying it. Same goes for any language taugh in our schools. Best way to learn a language is to sit around and talk, not trawl through textbooks. It's embarassing when you meet people from the rest of europe and most of them have at least 3 languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

pmcmahon wrote: »
    .... compulsory personally
    There's a pair of words that look funny together :pac:

Advertisement