Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds in very cold weather?

• 18-12-2009 6:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

We are high up and it is very cold now. Yesterday none of the usual small birds came in to feed. A magpie and crows were active.

Is this usual, please?

The previous day the feeding area was alive with small birds.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hard to tell by one day, but usually feeding activity increases in a cold snap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Might be a raptor knocking about. The birds at my feeders make a hasty exit in such circumstances and can be gone or hidden for hours, depending of course on how hungry they are.

Perhaps someone in the area has bigger feeders.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hmmm, heard crows about...

No other houses anywhere near so no competition... I am being careful with feeding as trying to deter the magpies.. the robin came in when I came in so maybe it was that. And the thrush was about also.

But none of the blue-tits and great -tits.. not even the chaffiches.

We are very high up and bitterly cold; and no one has fed them up here before.. will see tomorrow as in all day.

Thank you!:)
    E39MSport wrote: »
    Might be a raptor knocking about. The birds at my feeders make a hasty exit in such circumstances and can be gone or hidden for hours, depending of course on how hungry they are.

Perhaps someone in the area has bigger feeders.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

My folks had two Starlings bathing in a half frozen fountain yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah, we had the flutter of tiny wings today.. A bold great- tit among them and wagtails etc.. so good to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

I think we might underestimate the effect on small bird numbers of the combinarion of this awfully cold weather and ... the longest days of the year.

Is there a proven correlation with length of day and cold snaps? Anybody know the science of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I would guess.. angle of the sun on our part of the planet = less energy = colder air and ground temperature. With longer dark spells and less cloud cover to keep any warmth in, the average temperatures decrease.

And.... I don't underestimate it. Hence, shed loads of food incl. nice chicken stock/fat with seeds for the ground feeders. It's going down a treat. I have roosting boxes also. Will get more though not sure how close together I can put them. This weather is forcing about 20 wrens to roost together in swallows nests in my porch. Means I have to leave the house by the back door so as not to disturb them. However, if it sextremely cold like last night then they don't budge when I open the front door. Poor things.

Advertisement