Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (18/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options
  • 18-12-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Continue here folks..

Don't want to have a mammoth thread, at this rate we will probably need one every day!

At the moment here its cold, breezy with flakes of snow floating around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus i can't keep up with these threads!! LOL!
    Met Éireann has issued a weather warning for this weekend and early next week.

Showers of sleet and snow are forecast in many areas with widespread severe frosts leading to icy roads.

The Road Safety Authority is urging road users to take extreme care.

From RTE website! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

From a purely selfish perspective, this kind of set up doesn't bode well for snow for well inland places. The east and north coastal counties look favoured best for the next 48 hours, maybe northwest and west then. I know it is going to be a bit milder tomorrow before that cold front makes its way south - this will make or break any possible snowfall here....hopefully will get a few flakes. It is bitter cold this morning for sure, with that northeasterly breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

From a purely selfish perspective, this kind of set up doesn't bode well for snow for well inland places. The east and north coastal counties look favoured best for the next 48 hours, maybe northwest and west then. I know it is going to be a bit milder tomorrow before that cold front makes its way south - this will make or break any possible snowfall here....hopefully will get a few flakes. It is bitter cold this morning for sure, with that northeasterly breeze.

yeah tomorrow evening is touch and go i'd say. it will become obvious later today/tomorrow how far south this cold front precipitation will come and also the timing of it.

Light snow flurries here this morning.
    Only a dusting has settled.
    Lots of cars on the road with a couple of inches on them.
    The snow is blanketed about 4 miles west of here from the base of the hills around croghan right up to the mountain top.

current temp 1.4c
    dewpoint -2.2

And cloudy in a fresh NE breeze with the occasional burst of flurries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

lol I got lost there for a minute!! wondered where everyone had gone :o ,

Yeah might be good ldea to have new thread daily, us snowbies love to talk I have noticed!!

• Advertisement

yeah tomorrow evening is touch and go i'd say. it will become obvious later today/tomorrow how far south this cold front precipitation will come and also the timing of it.

Oh no don't rain on my parade!!:(

eskimocat wrote: »
    lol I got lost there for a minute!! wondered where everyone had gone :o ,

Yeah might be good ldea to have new thread daily, us snowbies love to talk I have noticed!!

Me too! I kept clicking refresh and nothing was happening! Then i saw the closed sign at the end of the thread.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Temp 3C
    Dewpoint -3C

GURTEEN(A) -6

Brrrrrr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp 3C
    Dewpoint -3C

Where do you live Maquiladora? even the mild west coast is around freezing at the momemt..

Valentia: 1c
    Mace Head: 0c.
    Shannon -4c
    Claremorris: -3c

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Gurteen down to -6c! :eek:

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh no don't rain on my parade!!:(

I really hope that it snows on your parade Leahyl! You deserve it. :)

Where do you live Maquiladora? even the mild west coast is around freezing at the momemt..

Shannon -4c

Maquiladora is in Waterford! I know where everyone lives now.....muhahaha!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Have to get me a weather station, I say it every year when there is a threat of snow, ice etc. Generally clear skies in Lusk, I expect the snow shield for this area to be fully operational during this spell but will definitely hunt down any mountain snow nearby! :pac:

I can't bring myself to take a look over on Netweather this morning, I would just get too jealous!

Shannon -4c

Waterford, yeah, a real no snow zone! :P Will be further north for the weekend so hopefully will see some snow then... :pac:

Waterford, yeah, a real no snow zone! :P Will be further north for the weekend so hopefully will see some snow then... :pac:

I am surprised that is is (relatively) mild there, as I thought in NE'rly it would be one of the colder spots in this set up. But there ya go, what one assumes about the Irish Climate is never near the truth! :o

I am surprised that is is (relatively) mild there, as I thought in NE'rly it would be one of the colder spots in this set up. But there ya go, what one assumes about the Irish Climate is never near the truth! :o

Tis bloody freezing in Cork i can tell ya!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yay... sneachta in Lusk, the shield must be faulty again! Light but snow none the less :)

Edit - think its a mix of hail, sleet and snow, but I'll accept it...

Tis bloody freezing in Cork i can tell ya!:D

It feels a lot colder than 3C!

Down to 2C now actually...

any good chart updates this morning maquiladora?

Well it was freezing this morning when i was going to work - but i presume it's the same now! Just looking out at blue sky and sun now:mad:

• Advertisement

06z GFS still looking good for Saturday night. ;)

06z GFS still looking good for Saturday night. ;)

For Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Temp 3C
    Dewpoint -3C

Apologies if I ask the dumbest question about the above, Does that mean snow or frost most likely??? :o
    thanks

You'll make it yet Maq ;). -2.7c here in Galway, rising a little. :mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Leahyl, I think you will get a pasting over the weekend and we in the East just frost:mad:,and I know you will enjoy it:D

For Munster?

For most places it seems yeah.

Leahyl hyperventilates* WOOHOO!!! *Jumps up and down ecstatically - well not really - I AM in work:D But i want to!!

oh stop building up her hopes(and mine)!. i know i should be positive but have a bad feeling it won't reach us or that it will be of rain/sleet :)!

oh stop building up her hopes(and mine)!. i know i should be positive but have a bad feeling it won't reach us or that it will be of rain/sleet :)!

You better shut that hole in your face! (joking!) Jeepers i think i need anger management classes on top of everything else!:D

• Advertisement

i hope this thread won't all turn to bitterness! it could be messy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement