Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (18/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

patneve wrote: »
    ahhh found it, couldn't remember it well as i was abroad:D 27th February 2001. Dublin airport was closed that day: http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0227/snow.html

Yeah that was it, didn't even know it was coming, just woke up to buckets of snow falling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

patneve wrote: »
    ahhh found it, couldn't remember it well as i was abroad:D 27th February 2001. Dublin airport was closed that day: http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0227/snow.html

I remember that one too, because I was in Dublin that day, it was a whiteout event, but I had to drive home down the N4 later that day, and amazingly once you got not far beyond Lucan, there was no snow at all, it really was an east coast event that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

12Z GFS isnt bad at all, looks like a slight upgrade for tomorrow nights snow event with almost all areas seeing some snow and then snow showers continued for some for several days with no thaw as temperatures drop very low and stay low right into the middle of next week at least.

Could be very interesting for some.

still worry about us down south and won't believe it till i see it! still the omens are good. where are the snow showers likely to be next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Snowing now here for real, still very light and the flakes are no bigger than the size of this smily = :D

Lets hope that the snow flakes get bigger and that the snow gets heavier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I must be in the warmest place in Ireland, 4C here! :pac:

Waterford is the Mexico of The Day After Tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Looking at the GFS that band of precipitation on sat night might get further south than i was thinking, hopefully all the way to dublin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Waterford is the Mexico of The Day After Tomorrow...

hehe. do you have Kilkenny people digging tunnels under the border too?

Lots more activity further west in past hour

WEB_radar_200912181615.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

roryc1 wrote: »
    Looking at the GFS that band of precipitation on sat night might get further south than i was thinking, hopefully all the way to dublin :D

all forecasts have it moving very far south, in the uk as well as ireland so things do look very positive in that respect.

I wonder how we'd all cope though in fairness if an '82 were to happen again. I have dreamt about it happening again ever since but if I so much as mention it to my parents they shudder and say how awful it was... no electricity, difficulties in getting basics such as food etc, our only heat source in the house was a Superser (can't remember how to spell but a gas cylinder heater for those who remember :) ).

Ah feck it, bring it on... :pac:

still worry about us down south and won't believe it till i see it! still the omens are good. where are the snow showers likely to be next week?

Next week looks unpredictable honestly, snow showers are probably most likely for the western and northern half of the country but honestly I don't think the models have a handle on it past Sunday.

• Advertisement

roryc1 wrote: »

I think that will move down across the whole country, the question is what will the precipitation be and how weak will be it when it gets to wherever your area of interest is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

light snow falling here now( the first snow of this period) a prelude of what's to come i hope!!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I wonder how we'd all cope though in fairness if an '82 were to happen again. I have dreamt about it happening again ever since but if I so much as mention it to my parents they shudder and say how awful it was... no electricity, difficulties in getting basics such as food etc, our only heat source in the house was a Superser (can't remember how to spell but a gas cylinder heater for those who remember :) ).

A Superser... we huddled around one similar to this in '82 with candles lighting and blizzards outside.

supserf150-silvgrey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Felixdhc wrote: »

Wasn't even born, let alone thought of in 82. But from what i've heard about it it sounds epic. I would love to experience something like that. It would be so cool. Just need to stock on supplies first :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some pics from Sally Gap this afternoon i took on a spin - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63561452#post63561452

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

UK Met Office severe weather warning for Norther Ireland for Sunday, could be up to 8 inches of snow on high ground there. (20cm)

:eek:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Great pics supercell. thanks for sharing

Looks like the showers coming from the north are organising themselves into a more organised band

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

light snow falling here now( the first snow of this period) a prelude of what's to come i hope!!

wheres here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

snaps wrote: »
    wheres here?

Was going to ask the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

the weather radar on ME site is so unrealistic. Sometimes when it reports heavy rain where i live its not raining at all! according to that radar now it should be doing something here now for the past hour but its a clear sky as i can see the stars! And then the raintoday.co.uk radar shows the band of percipitaion more towards the east than the west, which according to me is more correct as im just south of castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Lucky sod!! Nary a flake in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Looks like the showers coming from the north are organising themselves into a more organised band

Web_radar.gif

I've been eyeing that radar for the last few hours, that band visible there now just came out of nowhere.

Thinking now whether or not to travel to Belfast this evening to do my shopping :confused:

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Web_radar.gif

Looks like theyve made it as far south as Atlone. Seems a good bit further south than predicted by some of the models, in fact if you were to use Netweathers GFS charts, some of those showers are in the 0% snow risk area for this time. And thats from a model run just a few hours old. Next few days will be nowcasting. :pac:

Seems to be some sleet mixed up with the snow on the precip radar : http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snaps wrote: »
    wheres here?

Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Next few hours will be interesting to see how it develops, wudnt mind a surprise fall!

Air temp 3C
    DP -3C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

UK Met Office severe weather warning for Norther Ireland for Sunday, could be up to 8 inches of snow on high ground there. (20cm)

:eek:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

Not fair, we only got a paltry dusting when the wind was easterly!
    Though I feel our time will come again over the coming week :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I was hoping to leave Derry for Navan now. Travelling through Tyrone Monaghan and Louth - what are the roads like on the A5 and the N2 does anybody know???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Nothing here on the Offaly Westmeath border anyway, although the cloud has now rolled in as expected. Raintoday radar shows snow precipitation over Longford and North Westmeath, anyone in the Midlands seen anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

gone cloudy in trim but nothing falling out of them yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement