Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (18/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

chances it'll snow in north dublin tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

any wind direction with E in it i.e. NE SE E would bring more snow but it is gone NW so N n W will prob get wintry showers maybe some snow once it hits the cold inland areas of Leinster and Ulster

However as ye say it seems to be concentrated in Ulster. That band in Irish Sea is staying out there for now id reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

john 1994 wrote: »
    is it going to snow in limerick tonite???

As this is all you ask and you don't seem to look at any of the links posted..

Keep checking here: http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

If you see the blue cloud(or any other colour) over Limerick,There's a chance it could be snow,Or rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Im over in Navan. Quite interesting to see how all this stuff works. So if its cold enough and there is enough percipitation, we might see something?
    Hard to tell. Unlikely until tomorrow's main band of sleet/snow hits your area around 6pm tomorrow. (taken from http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=)

that band will move south to cover most of the country (hopefully in snow) by early Sunday morning. If it doesn't I am emigrating to Churchill in Canada. Although their boards.ca site would be very predictable and not as much fun as here.

Between now and then most precip will prob be restricted to North West and Northern counties.

99376.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hard to tell. Unlikely until tomorrow's main band of sleet/snow hits your area around 6pm tomorrow. (taken from http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=)

Between now and then most precip will prob be restricted to North West and Northern counties.

99376.jpg

What are all the numbers in the bars? Sorry if I am annoying any other users by asking all these questions.

• Advertisement

What are all the numbers in the bars? Sorry if I am annoying any other users by asking all these questions.

altitude above sea level or altitude snow will fall at (in metres). if you go back a few pages here you will see the 9pm and midnight charts. All of the country gets snow at sea level. Hopefully this scenario does not change between now and then. What is certain is that most of the country will see snow at some point over the next 24-36 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Snow level (m) , says it at the top of the chart ;)

Basically it's how high above sea level you'd have to be to get snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Latest weather report from here:
    Saturday
    Snow. Total snow accumulation 3 to 5 inches. Near steady temperature in the mid 20s (F). Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

We haven't had any significant snow yet but had a nice -16C windchill last week. Just my luck the year I'm away ye'll probably have a White Christmas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Well it's remarkably pleasant in Limerick at the moment - doesn't feel like snow. I feel like a roving reporter - stand by for a report from Cork! ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Light rain has now stopped over Enniskillen.

Have I got this right?? From what I can see/read that there is (or was!) a weak cold front where a weak band of snow developed over Ulster (around 16.00) and progressed south, reaching the likes of Carlow, Killkenny etc before fizzling out completly.

There appears to be a second weak band trying to form over north Ulster again (Started around 21.00) however this only seems to be getting weaker as it moves further south, and also appears to be of rain and drizzle. Is this the "weak" warm front that is starting to move accross now?? If so, how long is it likely to last??

Now, from tomorrow onwards there appears to be another cold front heading for us?? (Am I correct?) Will this bring the heavy snow to Ulster/Connaught/Leinster before heading south, or is it likely this will be rain/sleet??

Sorry for all the questions, any help is appriecated!!

• Advertisement

altitude above sea level or altitude snow will fall at (in metres). if you go back a few pages here you will see the 9pm and midnight charts. All of the country gets snow at sea level. Hopefully this scenario does not change between now and then. What is certain is that most of the country will see snow at some point over the next 24-36 hrs.

To add to that, in my experience (last Feb.) good snow can still fall outside the 0m line. I don't think it takes into account the downdrafts of cold air from convective showers which can substantially decrease the temps locally allowing for proper (sticking) snow to fall. Although once the shower passes the temps will rise and it will start to melt.

I reckon the 0m line is a good indicator of where snow is likely to stick and hang around for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The heatwave begins on Saturday 26th.

/bring it on :pac:

To keep you interested between now and SNOWDAY....

Lots of nice tidbits of info for weather enthusiasts on this section of the wunderground site.

Don't know why but RTE have removed their weather alert story!

http://www.rte.ie/news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 john 1994

its officaly snowing in limerick:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mike65 wrote: »

Might be very short lived Mike and even you surely would welcome snow at Xmas? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

mike65 wrote: »

Heatwave...:eek: Aww no...

I'm only after digging out the wooly knickers, now I need to hunt for the suntan lotion:confused:

:D:D:D

To keep you interested between now and SNOWDAY....

Lots of nice tidbits of info for weather enthusiasts on this section of the wunderground site.

Even better ... http://www.irelandsweather.com/

The guys there have done an amazing job on their interactive map. Click on "options" in the top right corner for many toys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Don't know why but RTE have removed their weather alert story!

http://www.rte.ie/news/

Perhaps they are updating it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

where in limerick are u???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Quick, send some to West Limerick and also to WolfeIRE in Clare too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

And abit down to North Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

not so much as a flake of it in he Limerick City anyway.

not so much as a flake of it in he Limerick City anyway.
    in castletroy there was. also rathkeale and in barefield (clare)

only minor affairs

99389.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Light rain has now stopped over Enniskillen.

Have I got this right?? From what I can see/read that there is (or was!) a weak cold front where a weak band of snow developed over Ulster (around 16.00) and progressed south, reaching the likes of Carlow, Killkenny etc before fizzling out completly.

There appears to be a second weak band trying to form over north Ulster again (Started around 21.00) however this only seems to be getting weaker as it moves further south, and also appears to be of rain and drizzle. Is this the "weak" warm front that is starting to move accross now?? If so, how long is it likely to last??

Now, from tomorrow onwards there appears to be another cold front heading for us?? (Am I correct?) Will this bring the heavy snow to Ulster/Connaught/Leinster before heading south, or is it likely this will be rain/sleet??

Sorry for all the questions, any help is appriecated!!

can someone answer this two as i would like to know aswell.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Clear skies here in Ceatharlach. Temp really dropping though, -1.9c and DP of -3.4c bbrrrrr.

owenc wrote: »
    can someone answer this two as i would like to know aswell.......
    imo as the front comes onto land it will be sleet but as it moves South it will turn to Snow as it meets the cold surface

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Villain wrote: »
    imo as the front comes onto land it will be sleet but as it moves South it will turn to Snow as it meets the cold surface

no i was wonderig if someone could give like a precise view of this situatio because i have a feeling we have had freezing rain as thr snow is gone on the ground only half on the hard ground and then mostly stayed everywhere else one thing is it wont be there i the morning temps are -1c hopefully skies will clear and everythig will freeze...... sick of temps flucatating between -1c and 1c all day......

no i was wonderig if someone could give like a precise view of this situatio because i have a feeling we have had freezing rain as thr snow is gone on the ground only half on the hard ground and then mostly stayed everywhere else one thing is it wont be there i the morning temps are -1c hopefully skies will clear and everythig will freeze...... sick of temps flucatating between -1c and 1c all day......
    Its very hard to be Precise, weather forecasting in these setups can't be precise, the temps have risen in the North but not above 1.5c while I have -3c.

Keep an eye on the satellites http://www.carlowweather.com/wxsat.php and also radar http://www.carlowweather.com/wxradar.php to get accurate up to date information

• Advertisement

Villian is right. As the front hits land in North Antrim tomorrow it is likely to fall as sleet or even rain. The indications from all the gfs charts today and tonight though is that it will turn to snow. It is a cold front so there is much colder air behind it that is favourable to snowfall, hence it turning into to snow eventually. the front is expected to move southwards in the late afternoon and is more likely to fall as sleet/snow rather than rain/sleet initially as temps are already dropping at that time of day and because of the colder landmass inland.

The experts are all prob gone to bed at this stage but I thought my reading of it might help you.

By the way, if you are frustrated try listening to these peeps :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5rcamAVm8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement