Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (18/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

smashey wrote: »
    Just started snowing here in Strabane. :D

Excellent. Now, if only that could drift another 100 miles further south.....:rolleyes: I somehow think it will fizzle out around Cavan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

looks like lots of snow up north on www.raintoday.co.uk -

Is the risk of snow down near Dublin now gone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pray for strong winds up at the right level in the atmosphere paddy1:D

Nah. Cool dry windy frosty weather will do me. The frost this morning was nicer than snow. The whole world was white! Nothing as obscene looking as patchy snow melting into brown slush. Ain't my thing. I want the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    looks like lots of snow up north on www.raintoday.co.uk -

Is the risk of snow down near Dublin now gone???

Pretty much for the moment I'm afraid. Doubt that snow now moving into the north will make it too far south.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Excellent. Now, if only that could drift another 100 miles further south.....:rolleyes: I somehow think it will fizzle out around Cavan....
    I hope it does, will be keeping an eye on the radar over the next few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

danni2 wrote: »
    I hope it does, will be keeping an eye on the radar over the next few hours

Check out that raintoday link above, much easier to see it than Met Eireanns radar, for some reason. Definitely drifting south in a narrow organized band, so hopefully it can keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

smashey wrote: »
    Just started snowing here in Strabane. :D
    is it lieing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nah. Cool dry windy frosty weather will do me. The frost this morning was nicer than snow. The whole world was white! Nothing as obscene looking as patchy snow melting into brown slush. Ain't my thing. I want the real thing.

so you've finally revealed your true colours:mad: ah well each to his own:) i prefer the snow everytime. although it was a nice scene, as you said, this morning with the hard frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Snowing here now in Lifford.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pangea wrote: »
    The heating must be broken on Glasnevin Hill as Evelyn has a whopper of a scarf on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Pangea wrote: »
    is it lieing?
    Not snowing heavy enough yet and it now seems to be stopping but...
    K-9 wrote: »
    Snowing here now in Lifford.
    It isn't too far away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i've a bad feeling i'm a little too far south to get any precipitation today or later this evening. it seems we'll just have patchy cloud that will eventually break up towards nightfall. it's just too bad the winds at the 850 level are not potent enough to keep the troughs active as they make their way south.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

A little bit of that precip will make it quite far south actually according to the UKMO and GFS. It will be on the light side though.

15-574.GIF?18-6

Nothing to write home about. Oh and Nacho there is milder air behind the front in the North atm. If you don't believe me look at the rain showers following on precipitation type radar;) It's only very temporary milder air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I have an office overlooking galway city, very very grey/black clouds now, they look like snow clouds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Check out that raintoday link above, much easier to see it than Met Eireanns radar, for some reason. Definitely drifting south in a narrow organized band, so hopefully it can keep going.
    Thanks, that radar is much better and more clearer to see, hopefully that band in the north can survive another 100 miles when it moves south.

Yes. It appears to be clouding over northern half of country, moving south.

images.php?country=gb&sat=vis&1220912561562

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

im in carlow so i aint got a hope:(...a well if its only gonna be a small amount id rather a severe frost than 5 minutes of snow followed by a couple of hours of horrible mucky slush......im not bitter i swear:p i heard evelyn say on gerry ryan this mornin that it will not be a white,the southwesterly will come back sometime before xmas day....please say she,s wrong

so you've finally revealed your true colours:mad: ah well each to his own:) i prefer the snow everytime. although it was a nice scene, as you said, this morning with the hard frost.

You misunderstand me Nacho. I love snow, I just don't enjoy the scrapes we usually get. I want a December 2000, nothing less will please me. My standards are high. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You misunderstand me Nacho. I love snow, I just don't enjoy the scrapes we usually get. I want a December 2000, nothing less will please me. My standards are high. :pac:

LOL:pac:! That's what i like to hear!

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Yes. It appears to be clouding over northern half of country, moving south.

images.php?country=gb&sat=vis&1220912561562

That bank of cloud darkening the skies here in Galway at the moment. Fairly benign, inoccuous mid level stuff, but looks blue and red at the same time. Beautiful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Clouding over here in Enniskillen, still frost lying on the ground from last night's feeezing tempatures, got as low as -5 here!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I fully understand you! Most snow in Ireland is a dissapointment when it actually arrives (bar February last). You almost always get the instant drip drip of the snow melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

went out for lunch earlier and it was FREEEEZING!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I really want it to snow this year! I love snow! Hate the cold though :(

GFS weather charts start updating at 3.30pm. Lets hope they upgrade on the slightly disappointing 9.30 run. I am confident theywill based on the latest soundings from UK Met Office and our own ME.

The link is http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

It takes about 90 mins for the run to be updated fully (it updates in stages)

BTW, noticed on the met eireann 3pm update it said "MALIN HEAD(A) SW 16 ICE PELLETS ". Not often you see ice pellets on those reports. Why are they any different to hail anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    went out for lunch earlier and it was FREEEEZING!!:D

anywhere fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

if you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

Wexford town!
    just back from the school run, was great seeing the kids so excited, snowballs going everywhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

That bank of cloud darkening the skies here in Galway at the moment. Fairly benign, inoccuous mid level stuff, but looks blue and red at the same time. Beautiful stuff.

yes amazing, great pictures this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

I see on met.ie that Malin Head is reporting "Ice Pellets"! Is that a meteological defination for hailstones!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement