Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (18/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    GFS weather charts start updating at 3.30pm. Lets hope they upgrade on the slightly disappointing 9.30 run. I am confident theywill based on the latest soundings from UK Met Office and our own ME.

The link is http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

It takes about 90 mins for the run to be updated fully (it updates in stages)

was the GFS bad this morning? others said it was ok. i think those freshening winds will bring precipitation south after dark tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

Heading to Cavan shortly for Christmas party. Any idea if I'm going to see snow up there. Staying overnight so not worried about driving back tonight. Love to wake up to snow though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

anywhere fancy?

Oh yes dahling the 5 star hayfield manor! NOT!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

was the GFS bad this morning? others said it was ok. i think those freshening winds will bring precipitation south after dark tomorrow

there was a downgrade in the amount of precipitiation being forecast for tomorrow night compared to the 9.30pm charts last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

"Heading to Cavan shortly for Christmas party. Any idea if I'm going to see snow up there."

Maybe some later this evening, there seems to be a band making it's way south. Mind the roads round Cavan, supposed to be pretty bad!!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh yes dahling the 5 star hayfield manor! NOT!:D

probably jacobs now or somewhere. am heading out in the city myself tonight for some bia. were you regailing snow stories at lunch?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I see on met.ie that Malin Head is reporting "Ice Pellets"! Is that a meteological defination for hailstones!?

frozen rain i would think. hurts like hell.

probably jacobs now or somewhere. am heading out in the city myself tonight for some bia. were you regailing snow stories at lunch?!

God no - jacobs! Never set food inside the place! Go to il padrino - so nice! Ok we're kinda going off topic here!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

12z big upgrade on precip for Northern half of the country tonight and down the East coast

Rtavn124.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Bitter cold up here now with a biting wind. Light covering of snow. +0.3c here, down from a high of 1.3c earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Good stuff DM2 - lets hope it comes off!

God no - jacobs! Never set food inside the place! Go to il padrino - so nice! Ok we're kinda going off topic here!:D

well i don't see any bloody snow bearing clouds outside the window, do you?! i'm trying not to be bitter and upset.:)

Rtavn184.png

Only model showing the precip like that atm but going on that one the East and North and Midlands at risk with lighter flurries elsewhere. We shall see.

Warm sector aswell means turning to rain for some though

gfs-2-12.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Im realy disapopinted this didnt turn into something more:(

darkman2 wrote: »
    Only model showing the precip like that atm but going on that one the East and North and Midlands at risk with lighter flurries elsewhere. We shall see.

what do the dots mean DM2?

well i don't see any bloody snow bearing clouds outside the window, do you?! i'm trying not to be bitter and upset.:)

Ya i suppose you're right:)

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    what do the dots mean DM2?

Showers. When there are no dots it means organised precipitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

If the precipitation charts posted by Darkman come off then Dublin would see a covering of snow - the warm sector has been downgraded in the previous runs and I can't see it disturbing dewpoints and ground temps too much. I shall believe when i see though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yep.. snow started up here atop the Blue Stacks at around 2.30, just as I got in.

Gritty then some bigger flakes .... did not last long but the sky is heavy.

Snow so near Christmas is utter magic; sat out with coffee as it fell..
    some small specs (very small) of snow fallling in Letterkenny, Donegal now. Heard reports the Milford in Donegal have a white covering now :-)

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep.. snow started up here atop the Blue Stacks at around 2.30, just as I got in.

Gritty then some bigger flakes .... did not last long but the sky is heavy.

Snow so near Christmas is utter magic; sat out with coffee as it fell..

Awww that's nice post - magic:) You're right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

hi darkman, im a true weather virgin. so any chance you could tell me what your chart means???

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Snow on the western side of the Dublin mountains, roads fairly icey above about 300m, slippy winter driving conditions, enough to make it feel like winter.

joes girls wrote: »
    hi darkman, im a true weather virgin. so any chance you could tell me what your chart means???

They are precipitation charts for tonight. Blue indicates something falling from the sky. The deeper the blue the heavier the precipitation. On the second chart the white lines show snow in precipitation.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Croghan and surounds still has a good covering,
    sky begining to look promising again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Still only cloud cover here, and still bitterly cold!! No sign of snow yet - despite that "Rain Today" radar showing there is!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks; need a bit of magic as had to move in great haste a few weeks ago because of flooding. Been ill since and the house here had been empty months and its very bones are cold.

Today made it feel a lot better.

The robin came in for food too.

Just one of those moments; the few locals who drive past must think I am crazy. Who cares!

I have all in needful now; so if we get snowed in that is fine, although still want to get to a car boot sale on Sunday.
    Awww that's nice post - magic:) You're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

LOL:pac:! That's what i like to hear!

That's nothing! My standard is Jan '82.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks; need a bit of magic as had to move in great haste a few weeks ago because of flooding. Been ill since and the house here had been empty months and its very bones are cold.

Today made it feel a lot better.

The robin came in for food too.

Just one of those moments; the few locals who drive past must think I am crazy. Who cares!

I have all in needful now; so if we get snowed in that is fine, although still want to get to a car boot sale on Sunday.

aaaawww you poor thing - well have a great christmas - relex and enjoy!;)

the GFS charts are shifiting attention regarding snow risk to the west and north from sun -mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You misunderstand me Nacho. I love snow, I just don't enjoy the scrapes we usually get. I want a December 2000, nothing less will please me. My standards are high. :pac:

well given all the downgrades we inevitably get my standards have lowered. i'm satisfied with two inches of lieing snow these days.

still, i'd give almost anything to have a major, major snow event- you know an event to tell your grandchildren about:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement