Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (18/12/09) (Cold, Ice and Snow now arriving)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Good precipitation charts for tomorrow per the latest charts - seem to head a good deal south except for cork.....only joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Good precipitation charts for tomorrow per the latest charts - seem to head a good deal south except for cork.....only joking!

Cheeky!:D

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/161-02.html

met eireann still have showers for munster in their update - not sure if they will spread that far south or if its an error but we cling to such grains of hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fellow weather freaks i must make the journey home - i shall talk to ye later! Keep talking snow!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

darkman2 wrote: »
    They are precipitation charts for tonight. Blue indicates something falling from the sky. The deeper the blue the heavier the precipitation. On the second chart the white lines show snow in precipitation.

Hope that helps!

So my little sunny southeast corner could be a very snowy corner in the morning???
    Thanks btw!

• Advertisement

Darkman, could you tell what time the snow would hit dublin from those charts?

Thanks .

Jake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Looks like a dry night ahead.

hieusat.gif

The sky over Lucan is stunningly beautiful right now. Its pink purple, mauve cerise grey blue. Beautiful ever-changing art from the Sky. magic.:D

lol-just had a very light snow shower here in the northerly.

1c air temp
    dewpoint -3.7c

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Im realy disapopinted this didnt turn into something more:(
    patience lad
    At your location near Annagh-all precip for the next week will be snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

It's trying it's best to snow... Cuilcagh Mountain is getting a flurry by the looks of things, we're just getting the odd small snow flake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=galway&day=6

haha, I think its broke winds of 241 mph over galway! :D

winds like that would destroy us, galway city would look like Tuam after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at this i would say that the coming week could be one of the coldest spells and most potentially exciting winter spells in many many years, really cold temperatures likely with potential for snow almost everywhere and with all those lows floating around next week i would not be surprised to see one or 2 big snow falls developing, next week will be a nowcast thing because the synoptic is so messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

The coming cold spell reminds me a lot of the end of December 2000. A lot of snow showers in the north, west, and midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

That bank of cloud darkening the skies here in Galway at the moment. Fairly benign, inoccuous mid level stuff, but looks blue and red at the same time. Beautiful stuff.

could be something heading your way soon according to the latest met.ie radar deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Looking at this i would say that the coming week could be one of the coldest spells and most potentially exciting winter spells in many many years, really cold temperatures likely with potential for snow almost everywhere and with all those lows floating around next week i would not be surprised to see one or 2 big snow falls developing, next week will be a nowcast thing because the synoptic is so messy.

yeah,
    looking at the latest gfs thats a really complex low pressure and predicting where precipitation occurs is nearly impossible, this cold could stick around for a while longer and a exciting weekend and christmas week awaits:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I certainly haven't seen as much uncertainty regarding the models for a long time, they are out of their comfort zone at the moment, no atlantic low pressure systems to come fizzing across the pond. As someone said, forecasting FI is really in the 72-96 plus period, which is unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

a few -1 degree readings in the latest weather page. its going to be fooking cold tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I don't have a fancy weather station or an ability to read weather charts, but, I would just like to say, It's £$)&£$ freezing outside!

Oh, Dublin 15.

:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I know I ask this every year but I forget due to an aging brain... what brought us the decent snowfall in either 2000 or 2001? - Was that from the NE or a direct N?

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I know I ask this every year but I forget due to an aging brain... what brought us the decent snowfall in either 2000 or 2001? - Was that from the NE or a direct N?

I think it was a Northerly, not 100% sure. Dublin did get snowfall, but nothing compared to the north and west!
    p.s. i'm talking about 27-30th December 2000

Just in relation to tonight, there is increased likelihood of snowfalls across northern parts, leinster, ulster, midlands, northwest, the front is pepped up on the latest GFS run and doesnt look thaat poorly organised moving south.

patneve wrote: »
    I think it was a Northerly, not 100% sure. Dublin did get snowfall, but nothing compared to the north and west!

Yes there was 2 inch fall around Dublin in very calm conditions around then.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

This was another one so, think it might have been in January... probably 2001 come to think of it.

Just in relation to tonight, there is increased likelihood of snowfalls across northern parts, leinster, ulster, midlands, northwest, the front is pepped up on the latest GFS run and doesnt look thaat poorly organised moving south.

met eireann have mentioned munster in their forecast or is that too far south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Raintoday and met.ie radars show an increasing flow of shower activity to west as well. It's amazing how unpredictable the setup is and how it can change from one hour to the next. No wonder ME won't commit to too many specifics

Felixdhc wrote: »
    This was another one so, think it might have been in January... probably 2001 come to think of it.

ahhh found it, couldn't remember it well as i was abroad:D 27th February 2001. Dublin airport was closed that day: http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0227/snow.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

What about Louth/Meath area at sea level?

Any chance whatsoever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Yeah I remember that one, 27th I think it started - about 11 in the morning and continued for about 8 hours non stop, we had about 6 inches of level snow after that, I still have video footage. A totally unexpected event, pre internet radar (for me anyway)and all that...sometimes I think the internet has taken away the magic of an event like that somewhat....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS isnt bad at all, looks like a slight upgrade for tomorrow nights snow event with almost all areas seeing some snow and then snow showers continued for some for several days with no thaw as temperatures drop very low and stay low right into the middle of next week at least.

Could be very interesting for some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement