Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression-Free and Gluten-Free diet

Options
  • 18-12-2009 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

mod edit

please dont advise people to drastically alter their diet without seeking medical advice

also please dont dismiss medical advice and tell people to use "common sense" instead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Does not surprise at all; wish more would look at diet rather than think these things are psychological. Mind and body are interwoven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Diet may have a role to play. Their has been some research that shows Vit D in concert with anti depressants(SSRIs) increases the effect of the latter. Even vit D on its own http://www.cma.ca/multimedia/staticContent/HTML/N0/l2/jpn/vol-34/issue-1/pdf/pg3.pdf Groups whose diets are high in vit D seem to show lesser risk of depression, but that could have so many co factors too.

Ditto with the hunter gatherer stone age diet. They had/have a much more varied diet than the farmers that replaced them and more than the average westerner. Again such groups have lower depression rates. Much lower according to some research. Again they have other factors at play. Closer knit societies, defined roles and support, more physical exercise, regular hours in concert with the day and seasons, less marital breakdown, lower social pressures, more deeply entwined spiritual lives. So if there is an effect, diet would be but one part of it. People have a tendency to extrapolate too far IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jenortega

Thank you for the mod edit - You're right. Understood.

And thanks Wibbs and Graces7 - That's really interesting Wibbs about the Stone age diet and the vitamin D. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jenortega

Wibbs - I just had a look at a hunter-gather-like diet, the paleo diet. I have been reading the success stories regarding the relief from depression on the official website, which is remarkable. The paleo diet removes all grains from the diet, which I have done, as I noticed corn was also triggering depression.

Advertisement