Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV bought from French company? - warranty?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought an LG TV from Pixmania (French company), it works fine but the HDMI sockets on it don't.

I rang LG and got through to a UK call centre who handle Irish and UK warranty claims.

The advised return to retailer as it's not a UK/IRE model.

Are they correct in not having to honour any warranty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes, they are correct. Your first point of contact will always be the place you bought the item from. Contact Pixmania.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

They must honour warranty (EU law) but it will have to be through the distributor who sold the unit to the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Pixmania are owned by DSG (Dixons/PC World/Currys) and have notoriously horrendous customer service, speaking from my girlfriend's brother's dealings with them regarding a HDD camcorder, you'll be in for a long hard battle..

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Thanks folks,

I'm aware of Pixmania's customer service issues, and was before I bought. But I've used them for years and never had any issues except for a camera that the manufacturer looked after.

I though it was odd having to return to the retailer as Irish law lets you go straight to manufacturer if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fleet wrote: »
    Thanks folks,

I'm aware of Pixmania's customer service issues, and was before I bought. But I've used them for years and never had any issues except for a camera that the manufacturer looked after.

I though it was odd having to return to the retailer as Irish law lets you go straight to manufacturer if you want.
    irish law allows you deal with the manufacturer or anyone else you want but it obliges the retailer/seller to deal with you and to stand over items they sell! the manufacturer can tell you to F off as you have no contract with them but the seller cant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

foggy_lad wrote: »
    irish law allows you deal with the manufacturer or anyone else you want but it obliges the retailer/seller to deal with you and to stand over items they sell! the manufacturer can tell you to F off as you have no contract with them but the seller cant!
    True but they can also refuse to do it even though legally required which can drag on for months before a resolution is reached (usually around the time the case is due to go up to the SCC).

Advertisement