Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Question

Options
  • 18-12-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to turn down the temperature of the hot water, when we turn the immersion on the water heats up a little too hot, so much so that you would almost scold your hand under the running hot water when you run the tap.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

In the hot press there should be a temperature knob on one of the pipes. Also on the gas boiler itself there is a water temp setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 grey_newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, is this the white knob in the hot press beside the tank, it's set at number 5 at the moment.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

That's the one - we have it set between 2 and 3 in our house and the water temperature is fine

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, is this the white knob in the hot press beside the tank, it's set at number 5 at the moment.

Thanks

Yep that's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

DK32 wrote: »
    Yep that's the one

Not for the immersion it isn't - that knob is the thermostat for the "radiator" inside the cylinder. i.e. when you have the heating on, the pipes that go through the cylinder heat the water up and that thermostat controls how hot the pipes get, exactly like the thermostatic radiator valves in the bedrooms.

the immersion (the "bath" and "shower" switches) acts more like a kettle. to adjust the temperature you need to take the metal cap off the element housing (at the top of the cylinder) and theres a small dial you can adjust with a screwdriver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

loyatemu wrote: »

the immersion (the "bath" and "shower" switches) acts more like a kettle. to adjust the temperature you need to take the metal cap off the element housing (at the top of the cylinder) and theres a small dial you can adjust with a screwdriver.

If you decide to do this yourself be very very careful.
    Live terminals are exposed and they can deliver a high (fatal) current.

Switch off the circuit breaker feeding the element at the consumer unit (fuse box) before attempting to remove the metal cap.

This method works for me, i.e. reduces the overall temp of the water coming out of the taps. ours was set up to the max at one stage and after turning it down to 6 the water is still very hot but not scalding from the minute you turn on the tap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

danjo wrote: »
    If you decide to do this yourself be very very careful.
    Live terminals are exposed and they can deliver a high (fatal) current.

Switch off the circuit breaker feeding the element at the consumer unit (fuse box) before attempting to remove the metal cap.

yeah I should've mentioned this - please do not electrocute yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 grey_newbie

Thanks for the info, I'll adjust this tonight and hopefully it'll sort the temp and I won't end up electrocuting myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Give me a shout before you do it - I'd love to come over and watch..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 littlemaxi

DK32 wrote: »
    In the hot press there should be a temperature knob on one of the pipes. Also on the gas boiler itself there is a water temp setting.

I would tend to agree with this..the other replies seem a bit complicated..
    theres a little dial on my boiler (under the removable cover) which seems to adjust the water temp. i have mine almost all the way up at the moment as i felt the house was not getting warm enough during this cold spell and now the water is scalding also...nearly took the skin off my hands earlier!!

Advertisement