Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation/Renting Sydney

Options
  • 18-12-2009 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Looking for information on what the norm prices for renting accomodation in Sydney is? I have no idea on what suburbs are good or close. Pretty much I'm totally confused at searching online looking at one bed apartments going for $600 A WEEK? is this right?

Basically looking to rent one bed/studio, in decent area for about 6 months Jun-Nov next year. I had presumed same prices as here.. about 1/1200k per month for nice one bed.

Can anyone help with some info please? Prices.. Best suburbs etc.

I havnt clue!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

It depends what you want in the area, we lived in city centre for one month, surry hills for a month and then bondi junction for 6 months. we paid 560 a week for a studio which was very small but fine for us. it was just a L shaped room with an ensuite shower room.

Bondi Junction was best for us, 10 mins on bus, 20mins walk to beach. 15 mins on train to city (I was working near Central station) just depends on what you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 4444

Wow so AUS$560 p.wk thats about €1388 per month for a studio? Thats pretty expensive. I had expected rent to be cheaper than here.

I guess it all depends on how much you'll earn (hopefully) me&OH qualified accountants hoping to get work for about 6 months.

What we really want is 1bed/studio within 20/30mins of city with good access to city via bus/train, in decent safe location, anywhere near sea always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

oh god I am getting confused now! its been nearly three years since we were in Sydney, I think now it might have been AU$560.00 for two weeks, I remember getting 1120 back as deposit which I am guessing was a months rent.

so ya sorry about that I think it was 280 a week/1120 month. but that was the smallest place 2 people could live in. prices might have gone up since then maybe try gumtree.com.au I think there is accommodation on that.

best of luck, have a ball. wish I was going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

that is very expensive, my 3bed room house + back yard is 590 pw!

You said June - November ... don't bother looking at places now!
    Way too early and a beach will only be decent around oct/november.

But there is no way you be paying 580 per week, unless you are looking at amazing pads.
    have a look at domain.com.au and select rent for places to start.
    But a semi decent guide with 30mins of CBD

North shore - cremorne, spit, neutral bay, mossman, crows nest
    (north shore is beautiful but a bit quieter than other areas)

Inner East - Darlinghurst, Paddington, Surry Hills, Potts point, Bondi Junction
    East suburbs(beach) - Bronte, Bondi, covelly coogee, randwick, maroubra
    East is a great spot to live a mixture of near the beach with good pubs & nightlife etc.
    Paddington, Randwick & Surry hills to me are a good mix of near beach/better area.

Inner west - Rozelle, Balmain, newtown, glebe, ultimo, alexandria & Leichhardt.
    Balmain is a great spot, not near a train, but really really beautiful and good food and drink around, newtown is funky& alternative, and glebe is a bit of a mix of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Dont forget the majority of places are unfurnished here as well so may have that cost as well.
    As others have said it can vary greatly pricewise. Its possible to spend 700 a week on a one / two bedder in the eastern suburbs but you can also get from 350 upwords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

We are between coogee and bondi junction and were really lucky with our place........
    got a 6 month lease in a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment, rent is $490 a week. And its top notch now, pool in the complex, 42 inch plasma, big huge balcony and open living space.
    Domain.com.au is a really good site - just keep looking every day when you're here, as new places go up every minute, and are taken down just as quick. You nearly have to be ready with applications and deposits to get anywhere, good places go reallllllyyyy quick

Advertisement