Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any shiny new tech for January?

Options
  • 18-12-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if anything new is supposedly coming in January..

I'd be very interested in something from AMD, hopefully a new budget quad.. and of course to see if any of the new intel chips will arrive..

I think the graphics card front will be quiet, any ATI cards due then? or only very budget models perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well more of the current ATI 58xx and 59xx series cards should be in the shops early next year but Iv been hearing Feb dates for the most part.

USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB motherboards should make an early appearance as well but the new USB and SATA look like rather basic add ons for the first gen mobo to host them.

Nothing new is expected from Nvidia till around 5 -6 months into 2010 and Intel and AMD chips Id expect towards the end of Q1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm expecting Intel to release some of the i3s in Jan.

heh, and as i typed that look what google returned: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357280,00.asp

I'm expecting Intel to release some of the i3s in Jan.

heh, and as i typed that look what google returned: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357280,00.asp

Well by shiny new tech I ment i9 uber chips and not stinky i3 and i5's :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i7 930 is coming in january to replace the 920, it will be interesting to see what improvements it will have, im guessing lower vcore needed for a good overclock compared to a D0 920

lmimmfn wrote: »
    im guessing lower vcore needed for a good overclock compared to a D0 920

was the 920's vcore that big? I've a D0 humming along nicely at 3.6Ghz with vcore at 1.1v.

• Advertisement

was the 920's vcore that big? I've a D0 humming along nicely at 3.6Ghz with vcore at 1.1v.

It can vary a lot depend on the chips batch number. Some D0's need more voltage than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

5850s are coming in January (or April :P)

^^lol true that
    yeah,as Venom says its not that bad on the D0, im at 4.05Ghz with 1.28vcore, but the new bios for the UD5 is supposed to need less vcore but i havnt tried it yet.

Either way the 930 should allow the same overclock but with less temps( all current i7's run hot!!!! )

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Either way the 930 should allow the same overclock but with less temps( all current i7's run hot!!!! )

I'm not sure, I thought a big part of the i7's heat output was from hyper threading and maintaining the two hardware threads on the core's memory. There will be a drop, but I'm not sure it'll be as significant as some expect?

anyway, not that it bothers me too much. me own i7 barely goes over 45 so there's still a fair bit of head room in it. :)

I'm not sure, I thought a big part of the i7's heat output was from hyper threading and maintaining the two hardware threads on the core's memory. There will be a drop, but I'm not sure it'll be as significant as some expect?

anyway, not that it bothers me too much. me own i7 barely goes over 45 so there's still a fair bit of head room in it. :)
    well usually the tidy bits up internally with chip revisions or new introductions, see here even a 5% gaming performance is possible between C0/D0 steppings of the same cpu's http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=655

45C? on prime 95 torture test or idle? overclocked? mine was low before i went unleashing it lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement