Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are all our chippers Italian?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's an italian chippers in Oranmore. Nice place too.
    Cool, I'll have to try it. Don't really see why Italians would be so good at chippers, they're pasta people ;)
    There's a great chipper in Dundalk, best cheese burgers and curried? chips ever Yum! Think it's run by Irish though.
    Charcoal grill has an appreciation society. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&viewas=0&gid=2325172898

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

reminds me of this:
    Ireland of the Welcomes!

In Roddy Boland's in Rathmines one night I overheard a group of Italian guys (tourists) trying to chat up two Irish girls and not getting very far.

One of the Italian's started waxing lyrical about one of the girls and her "beautiful pale skin" and said: "In my country, you would be a Princess"

To which the Irish girl replied "And in my country, you'd work in a chipper, now f**k off".

Overheard on Thursday, 21st April 2005 - Roddy Bolands by Kaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

i saw a documentary about that some time ago. it's because Italian immigrants set up chippers in the UK and did well about 50 years ago. at the time there was a lot of emigration in Italy so word spread and some people came to Ireland to set up business here. In fact, most of the Irish chipper families come from the same region -- there's one whole village in Italy where most of the people have family members in the chipper business here. there is a dvd about it and it's quite interesting. i think it's called 'chippers' and it's by a second generation Irish/Italin whose parents have a chippers here, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

‘one and one’, which is still a common way of asking for fish and chips.
    I have never heard anybody ask for a one and one in any chipper, and I have been in a hell of a lot of them! I have never seen a chipper with only one type of fish so it makes sense that nobody would ever ask for it.

I want to know why takeaways tend to copy each other, in proper chippers you they put chips in a small white paper bag which is way too small, then put this in a brown paper bag and dump a load more chips in ontop. In a chinese takeaway you get frozen chips but in a proper size white paper bag then in the brown bag. In takeaway vans you get rotten chips in those white plastic trays. There are a few exceptions but most are like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Whassa matta you?

Ah, shutupa ya face! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

rubadub wrote: »
    I have never heard anybody ask for a one and one in any chipper, and I have been in a hell of a lot of them! I have never seen a chipper with only one type of fish so it makes sense that nobody would ever ask for it.

A one & one is a Cod n' Chips - I haven't heard that expression in a long time, but it used to be quite common in the working class areas in Dublin. It could still be used, but I haven't been in a chipper, let alone a Dublin chipper in over 5 years.

Best chippers in Ireland are Italian owned!

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

In Blessington, people go to Dempseys for their chips, and to the Macari for their burgers.
    Demp do the best chips I've ever had, but don't do anything beyond chips, sausages and a burger with onion/sauce. None of this salad nonsense or batter burgers or kebabs!

Nevore wrote: »
    In Blessington, people go to Dempseys for their chips, and to the Macari for their burgers.
    Demp do the best chips I've ever had, but don't do anything beyond chips, sausages and a burger with onion/sauce. None of this salad nonsense or batter burgers or kebabs!

Burgers with salad = FAIL

Cheese, Onions Ketchup ONLY!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Why are all Chinese takeaways Chinese? Surely anyone could knock out that muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

All ours are Greek.. strange isn't it :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Roma gypsies are not Italian!!! :eek:
    There is quite a high population of Roma gypsies in Italy.
    They don't own or run the chippers here though.

Quint wrote: »
    Borza in Walkinstown is the best chips in dublin!

Tiled that place a few years ago. /useless factoid.

****ing Macari family have the franchise here in Leixlip.
    Three chippers, one Italian restaurant and a Medeterranian restaurant.
    Any time one of the large franchises tries to set up shop, they are blocked instantly. That includes the pizza ones too.

I'd love a McDonalds here, but it's never going to happen.

Also, Supermacs sucks donkey balls. Their chips and curry sauce are both rancid.

Want chipper food in Leixlip; hit Macari's in Riverforest. They fill up the bags properly and the burgers are not par-boiled first.

Why are all Chinese takeaways Chinese? Surely anyone could knock out that muck?
    The one I worked in when I was 12/13 was run by Vietnamese boat people.

Terry wrote: »
    The one I worked in when I was 12/13 was run by Vietnamese boat people.

I bet you sailed through that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Burgers with salad = FAIL

Cheese, Onions Ketchup ONLY!!!!!!!!!
    Not even on a quarter pounder, a bit of tomatoe too? No lovely melting processed goo cheese flavoured slices? :(

Slightly OT, but I love how the Indian restaurants are invariably run by Pakistanis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why do we call them chippers and our carpenters chippys when the english call them chippys and their carpenters chippers?

Hmmmmmm...

Why do we call them chippers and our carpenters chippys when the english call them chippys and their carpenters chippers?

Hmmmmmm...

Coz we're not English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Family Feud 2 - Thisa Time It'sa Personal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 James T Hunt

Fish and chips is no an Italian dish, in -fact many Italians would not consider it food, But they first starting selling it back in the 50s in the north of England,
    Ireland being a Catholic country Italians felt at ease to move here and set up shop.

Incidentally all the Italian family's that did move here originated from the same small town in southern Italy, of which the name escapes me

One of the largest Italian communities outside Italy (excluding the USA) exists in Bedfordshire England, where they were employed in the vauxhall car plant after the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Always remember as a kid asking Mr Macari in Finglas for free chips once

His reply "When Ireland wina the Worlda Cuppa ill give ye all the free chips you want heheheheh"

The fat Bacstard!!:D

• Advertisement

Fish and chips is no an Italian dish, in -fact many Italians would not consider it food, But they first starting selling it back in the 50s in the north of England,
    Ireland being a Catholic country Italians felt at ease to move here and set up shop.

Incidentally all the Italian family's that did move here originated from the same small town in southern Italy, of which the name escapes me

One of the largest Italian communities outside Italy (excluding the USA) exists in Bedfordshire England, where they were employed in the vauxhall car plant after the war.

Who do you think you are, coming on this thread with your fancy knowlwdge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

pebbles21 wrote: »

The fat Bacstard!!:D

Fat rich bastard.

I only ever associated Chippers being Italian from watching Agnus Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Quick question that I was wondering about today

How come so many of the chippers in Ireland are owned by and named after Italians?

Matassa's, Mizzoni's, Macari's....

There's nothing Italian about battered sausages and burgers and wurly burgers and fresh cod !

Any ideas?
    What the feck are wurly burgers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Few months back I went to see a documentary called Chippers about this very subject.

It was in the IFI and members of most of the Italian families were there.

It was like a mafiosi meeting or something :p

Here's the Facebook page for the docu:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CHIPPERS-a-documentary-by-Nino-Tropiano/171447858202

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Irish fast food would be stew or Dublin bay coddle and spuds.

Big pot boiling all day serve as needed

I was just thinking about this a few days ago, wht the hell dont chippers cop onto the idea of serving coddle or stew? I'd murder a bowl of coddle after the pub :(

I could not agree with you more, I would not let my dog eat from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Battered burger in a bun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Terry wrote: »
    They fill up the bags properly and the burgers are not par-boiled first.
    I hope you mean the chips there. Many people moan about "reheats" of chips but I have seen a few chefs on TV saying its a good way to do it. I think gary rhodes cooked the chips in oil at only around 100C first, then took them out and let them cool and then cook again in hot oil. Some other chefs did them like a chipper would, par cooked and left to partially cool, I think the residual heat keeps cooking them.

It is not always reheats, they are only partially cooked in the first place. I love frying cold boiled potatoes with onions.

I bet you sailed through that job.
    I don't get it.

Who do you think you are, coming on this thread with your fancy knowlwdge?
    your funny you make me laf,

I mean that when i seen your ans to the guy who worked for the boat ppl,

I pmsl

• Advertisement

Jammyc wrote: »
    reminds me of this:

pmsl good 1:

rubadub wrote: »
    I hope you mean the chips there. Many people moan about "reheats" of chips but I have seen a few chefs on TV saying its a good way to do it. I think gary rhodes cooked the chips in oil at only around 100C first, then took them out and let them cool and then cook again in hot oil. Some other chefs did them like a chipper would, par cooked and left to partially cool, I think the residual heat keeps cooking them.

It is not always reheats, they are only partially cooked in the first place. I love frying cold boiled potatoes with onions.
    Onions and potato?
    Are you Abe Simpson?

The chippers in Leixlip village par-boil the burgers before putting them on the grill. ****ing things stick in your stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Thanks guys !! Really Thanks .reading this thread made me go out and get a battered sausage,onion rings,battered burger, chips and washed down with a cold can of coke ,and now im stuffed to the gills and feel like i just put on three stone so once again thanks:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Dave! wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Quick question that I was wondering about today

How come so many of the chippers in Ireland are owned by and named after Italians?

Matassa's, Mizzoni's, Macari's....

There's nothing Italian about battered sausages and burgers and wurly burgers and fresh cod !

Any ideas?

Because if the Irish were in charge, we'd be getting served battered ham with cabbage and spud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the chipper at the five lamps in dublin is owned and run by dubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

the chipper at the five lamps in dublin is owned and run by dubs

Yup, and it was actually Jew's who introduced the chipper to the British Isles!.

Yup, and it was actually Jew's who introduced the chipper to the British Isles!.

do you know the five lamps?

well hang yer bollix off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Quint wrote: »
    It's the worst quality fast food franchise in the country! Even a bad chipper is better than supermacs!

Nah, the absolute worst is Aberakebabra. Supermacs is a close second last. Still though it's nice that they make their burgers especially for dogs.

Nah, the absolute worst is Aberakebabra. Supermacs is a close second last. Still though it's nice that they make their burgers especially for dogs.

agree with you there, they must make their 'food' from rubber because all it does is bounce off your stomach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Surprised how much of a slating that Supermacs is getting. Am a big fan of their garlic and cheese chips myself. As long as its not something like McDonalds or Burger King, I tend not to be fussy about chips. The two best chippers where I'm from, for the most part I'm too lazy to go there. Its all moot anyway. Don't really go to any fast food/chipper/whatever much in the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

It's the Italians taking advantage of us, just like we do with Irish bars. The Italians themselves would never dream of eating that fatty crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

'Wurly' - italian for 'E. Coli- ridden'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Coz we like when its a spicey a meat a ball ah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

passive wrote: »
    Mongrel did a great feature on this a couple of years ago... I wonder if it's available online anywhere. hrm...

Waybackmachine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Best chippers in Ireland are Italian owned!

/thread

Miss me an Italian chipper alright. Oddest thing here in Australia is that most Italian owned pizza restaurants Ive eaten in are fcuking awful! Like some frozen discount sh1te yid buy in Lidl. The Turkish/ Arab run places do way better pizza for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

GLUEY wrote: »
    It's the Italians taking advantage of us, just like we do with Irish bars. The Italians themselves would never dream of eating that fatty crap.

Yeh.....Just like we would never dream of drinking :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

shane86 wrote: »
    Miss me an Italian chipper alright. Oddest thing here in Australia is that most Italian owned pizza restaurants Ive eaten in are fcuking awful! Like some frozen discount sh1te yid buy in Lidl. The Turkish/ Arab run places do way better pizza for some reason.
    Simple solution = come back home ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭je suis awesome

doubt it, considering uk doesn't have that big of an italian community, only something like 100,000 compared to 5 million in france. dont know why you exlude usa, when it would make more sense to exlude argentina, the country with the highest ammount of italians outside italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Yes but..no but..
    do you know the five lamps?

well hang yer bollix off them!

I'm pretty sure he does, although I don't get the British Isles thing.:confused:

Terry Bumpy Bicycle, what am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

doubt it, considering uk doesn't have that big of an italian community, only something like 100,000 compared to 5 million in france. dont know why you exlude usa, when it would make more sense to exlude argentina, the country with the highest ammount of italians outside italy.

theres a town maybe 2 hrs train ride from London and its full of Italians, I was amazed hearing every second person on the street speaking Italian. cant remember the name but could find out from my friend if need be

• Advertisement
Advertisement