Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myers article 16th Dec

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

bmaxi wrote: »
    You don't need economic crises to have crazy people elected. George Dubya is one who springs to mind.

yeh

bush did reduce taxes alot and kept interest rates low, tried make soft landing for dot com bubble etc

one of the reasons for todays mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    yeh we have our share of issues

but its not as bad as some countries

take Russia for example, journalist like himself either follow the state line or get killed :(

hell didnt Putin make a law that a certain % of news has to be happy news :eek:

and thats how most russians like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

bmaxi wrote: »
    I find that a bit contradictory.
    If Fianna Fáil are idiots, as you contend, then the fact they have been in power in the country for most of it's independent history, makes the original statement plausible.

Firstly " Fianna Fail are idiots" does not mean "Fianna Fail have always been idiots".

Are you suggesting that if a country elects a bad government then they are not fit to rule themselves?

That would mean that every democratic country (including the UK currently) are not fit to rule themselves.

Anyway if the UK were to subsume all of Ireland it would cost them 120 billion Euro per year and quickly bankrupt them. It would be madness.

Myers advocates the colonial attitude that we cannot solve our problems here, because we are Irish.

I think the majority of people in Ireland have moved on from this defeatist, negative and racist viewpoint and acknowledge that with the right attitude and ideas we can solve almost any problems we have.

You will usually find that the people with the "whats the point? we are useless because we are Irish" attitude are not the ones trying to solve problems or helping in society/community (naturally enough as they would see trying to solve the problems as pointless because were Irish).

Maybe they should stop using their nationality as an excuse for sitting on their arses and putting the country/ Irish people down at every oppurtunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tellmewhy

Well for what its worth i usually take /read Myers with a pinch of salt but in this article I think he is absolutly spot on and as was said earlier everything in the article is public knowledge ! with I suppose the exception of the Haughey thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

tellmewhy wrote: »
    Well for what its worth i usually take /read Myers with a pinch of salt but in this article I think he is absolutly spot on and as was said earlier everything in the article is public knowledge ! with I suppose the exception of the Haughey thing !

No I think Vincent Browne through that accusation at CJ in Magill over 20 years, but is is public knowledge

• Advertisement
Advertisement