Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why my new memory doesn't work

Options
  • 18-12-2009 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

I recently upgraded my system to a Core 2 quad processor (Q9550 2.83GHz Socket LGA775, 1333MHz, 12MB) and while I was at it, I replaced my 4x512mb DDR2 RAM with a single slab of 4gb DDR3 from Crucial (Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 4GB REG/ECC 240pin, CL9, 1.5V,) My Mobo has slots for DDR2 and DDR3. ( Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, P35, Socket-775,ATX, DDR2/DDR3)

When booting with the new memory (I took the old stuff out) I don't complete POST or reach BIOS screen, just 3 beeps. The fans give a half hearted flutter and die. The system restarts and I get another 3 beeps, repeat ad nauseum. I re-replaced the old DDR2 stuff and the system boots normally.

I'm wondering what is causing my DDR3 memory to get upset. I have reseated it but the problem persists. so

A) Faulty chip? Any way to test without access to another DDR3 mobo?
    B) Voltage problem? I see chip says 1.5 volt, how do I check my MoBo supply and adjust it if necessary?
    C) Motherboard mentions Dual channel mode, and its incompatibility with single RAM chips, but no mention of how to enable/disable it or see how its currently configured. Anybody have experience here?
    D) simply incompatible for some other reason?

Appreciate any help suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought with DDR3 you had to have 3 ram modules and with DDR2 you had to have at least two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

it's not a definite requirement to have dual memory for ddr2 but some motherboards do need it.

you could try a 512 in the matching socket of the 4gb. not sure if it'll work though

if you put 2 x 512mb back in alone does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

2x512 DDR2 works fine, I've only the one DDR3 module, can't imagine the DDR2 would work in the opposite DDR3 slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

theCzar wrote: »
    I recently upgraded my system to a Core 2 quad processor (Q9550 2.83GHz Socket LGA775, 1333MHz, 12MB) and while I was at it, I replaced my 4x512mb DDR2 RAM with a single slab of 4gb DDR3 from Crucial (Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 4GB REG/ECC 240pin, CL9, 1.5V,) My Mobo has slots for DDR2 and DDR3. ( Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, P35, Socket-775,ATX, DDR2/DDR3)

When booting with the new memory (I took the old stuff out) I don't complete POST or reach BIOS screen, just 3 beeps. The fans give a half hearted flutter and die. The system restarts and I get another 3 beeps, repeat ad nauseum. I re-replaced the old DDR2 stuff and the system boots normally.

I'm wondering what is causing my DDR3 memory to get upset. I have reseated it but the problem persists. so

A) Faulty chip? Any way to test without access to another DDR3 mobo?
    B) Voltage problem? I see chip says 1.5 volt, how do I check my MoBo supply and adjust it if necessary?
    C) Motherboard mentions Dual channel mode, and its incompatibility with single RAM chips, but no mention of how to enable/disable it or see how its currently configured. Anybody have experience here?

Because you bought EEC ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

2x512 DDR2 works fine, I've only the one DDR3 module, can't imagine the DDR2 would work in the opposite DDR3 slot.

good point, missed the ddr3 part :o

EEC ram is generally for servers

• Advertisement

Are you putting the DDR3 in the correct slot? The green one?
    You can use the easytune software to see what voltage the board is giving the ram. Go advanced> Voltage and check the dram voltage. Or check in the bios by pressing del at boot screen. GA boards are known for giving wrong voltage to DDR3 so this is likely cause if not the slot. What bios version is the board running?
    IS this the RAM? http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=445233
    € 123.01:eek::eek::eek::eek:

wrote:
    Are you putting the DDR3 in the correct slot? The green one?
    You can use the easytune software to see what voltage the board is giving the ram. Go advanced> Voltage and check the dram voltage. Or check in the bios by pressing del at boot screen. GA boards are known for giving wrong voltage to DDR3 so this is likely cause if not the slot. What bios version is the board running?

Or you can accept the fact that the p35 express chipset takes unbuffered non EEC memory Dimms.

Or you can accept the fact that the p35 express chipset takes unbuffered non EEC memory Dimms.

I was still typing original reply when you posted so keep the sarcasm in check, cheers mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

/Popcorn

david7536 wrote: »
    I was still typing original reply when you posted so keep the sarcasm in check, cheers mate

Not my fault your slow on the uptake.

• Advertisement

No ones blaming ya for my slow reply! But gfto with the sarcasm ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You cross-posted each other. All he did was start typing seconds before you posted your own comment, so he had no idea what you said. There's no need for such hostility or personal attacks.
    david7536 wrote: »
    No ones blaming ya for my slow reply! But gfto with the sarcasm ;)

Get **** The Out? :confused::p

Solitaire wrote: »
    You cross-posted each other. All he did was start typing seconds before you posted your own comment, so he had no idea what you said. There's no need for such hostility or personal attacks.

Get **** The Out? :confused::p

lol, we all know what i meant! :rolleyes:
    Guess il be very carefull to refresh threads every 2-3ms in future in case Cuddlesworth has posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

Try updating the BIOS on motherboard ... I had a similar problem with a new build and a Gigabyte P55-UD4 mb and Crucial RAM.

MickH503 wrote: »
    Try updating the BIOS on motherboard ... I had a similar problem with a new build and a Gigabyte P55-UD4 mb and Crucial RAM.

Sorry david7536, clearly my aggression was directed at the wrong person. :rolleyes:

Sorry david7536, clearly my aggression was directed at the wrong person. :rolleyes:

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

+1 for the EEC.

You may be able to return it, but I would start the RMA process quickly. Where did you buy the RAM??

Advertisement