Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licences Refused

Options
  • 18-12-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Got my refusal letters in the post this morning:mad::mad:. Identical letter for my 9mm pistol and my .357 revolver. I was told that the Chief of the Division was not going to allow any restricted short firearms in his division. Obviously that was correct! Letters seem to be a standard format. If i am not mistaking the Issuing authority has to give you reason for refusal in writing. If i appeal decision to D.C does Chief have to stick with reasons given on refusal letter, or can he put any arguement forward on the day of the appeal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Got my refusal letters in the post this morning:mad::mad:. Identical letter for my 9mm pistol and my .357 revolver. I was told that the Chief of the Division was not going to allow any restricted short firearms in his division. Obviously that was correct! Letters seem to be a standard format. If i am not mistaking the Issuing authority has to give you reason for refusal in writing. If i appeal decision to D.C does Chief have to stick with reasons given on refusal letter, or can he put any arguement forward on the day of the appeal.

Sorry to hear that bud, in the same boat myself! I have yet to see anyone with a new license for a centerfire:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Sorry to hear that and join the club.

However Murph - 2 X 9mm Pistols licensed in County Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't forget:
    For any Shooter who has been sent a letter of refusal for a Firearm or a letter
    Requiring further information related to a Firearm Application.
    Please scan a copy of the letter and email it to:
    refusals@nasrpc.ie
    Please also contact any member of the committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

Hi Lead Loader, So sorry to see people telling you how you can spend your pass time! i take it your not a child.!!! so are you being treated like this? Once again i`m sorry for you and i hope this BS can be sorted its just not on.
    Regards T:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

did the refusal letter state that the chief super wasn't going to allow any restricted short firearms in his area ?

if so i think thats illegal as every application has to be judged on its own merits under the law .

am i right or wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

Thanks for the support lads! I was talking to a Garda today that told me that .22 firearms only make up about thirty to forty of the restricted licences issued so far as referred to by the Minister in the Dail on the 10th of December. That means that there are at least 30 to 40 cf pistols/revolvers licensed so far!! I love to know what happened to the 'level playing pitch' that the new legislation was going to introduce :eek:

rowa wrote: »
    did the refusal letter state that the chief super wasn't going to allow any restricted short firearms in his area ?

if so i think thats illegal as every application has to be judged on its own merits under the law .

am i right or wrong ?

You are right Rowa,
    Chief has to look at each individual application. I heard 'off the record' from a buddy that the chief wouldnt issue any licences for handguns in his division! Looks like my buddy was right:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 crimestat

I got the letter....mayo 9mm– chief now retired for big pension he declined everyone my friend has had his interview in Galway last week for a 9 as well he is hopeful. I am appealing mine with William Egan & Associates, Solicitors, 101 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2. They seem to be in the loop.. has anyone heard anything about them.

I was originally refused my licence for a 9mm pistol by the local Superintendent. I appealed his decision through the district court. i lost in the district and i went to Willie Egan to appeal to higher courts. Willie Egan really knows his stuff. Very down to earth and easy to talk to and very thourough when it comes to the legal stuff!! i have already been on to his office again to appeal this latest refusal through the courts;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I was originally refused my licence for a 9mm pistol by the local Superintendent. I appealed his decision through the district court. i lost in the district and i went to Willie Egan to appeal to higher courts. Willie Egan really knows his stuff. Very down to earth and easy to talk to and very thourough when it comes to the legal stuff!! i have already been on to his office again to appeal this latest refusal through the courts;)

fair post for your 6th .

safety in numbers A

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info man, I realy think we are screwed, I have lost hope and the sad thing is it was great crack.But I will fight this thing

Don't give up hope crimestat. I am normally 'the glass is half empty' kind of guy, but not in this case. The spirit of the Criminal Justice Misc Prov Act 2009 was to allow existing shooters hold on to their guns. If the Minister wanted to have an outright ban on handguns he had the power to do so, but he chose not to. Let the Courts deceide whats going to happen ;)

Thankslead loader I am trying to be positive, but when you get a letter stating you have no good reason for having a 9mm it is hard to come up with one. I am a member of 3 clubs and secretary of one. I have had pistols since 1998 in the US and Ireland as I was an 80,s emigrant and got into it over there. They are great, fun more challenging than .22 etc does not seem to cut it. I can see their point; I would not like to see Ireland have the same gun culture as the states but at the same time I enjoy shooting and making new friends who are like minded and let’s face it it’s a great day out, rain hail or sunshine.

Sorry I meant 1988 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

crimestat wrote: »
    Thankslead loader I am trying to be positive, but when you get a letter stating you have no good reason for having a 9mm it is hard to come up with one. I am a member of 3 clubs and secretary of one. I have had pistols since 1998 in the US and Ireland as I was an 80,s emigrant and got into it over there. They are great, fun more challenging than .22 etc does not seem to cut it. I can see their point; I would not like to see Ireland have the same gun culture as the states but at the same time I enjoy shooting and making new friends who are like minded and let’s face it it’s a great day out, rain hail or sunshine.

Look, some of us are participating in a sport which requires centerfire handguns. period. If you were involved in this sport you would be as touchy as the rest of us CF pistol shooters about it. The fact that we participate in this discipline and are winning international medals at it, is easily sufficient reason to be able to renew our licences. A .22 pistol simply will not do. The international governing body for the sport, will not allow .22 in its events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

They are great, fun more challenging than .22 etc does not seem to cut it.
    Every shooting sport presents it's own challenges. It's irrelevant what calibre you use; they all have their own appeal and their own levels.

Air pistol being a case in point ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

got a lovely christmas present from the CS today refused my 9mm pistol he was not satisfied I had sufficient reason for requiring the firearm and that the firearm is the only type of weapon (his words) that is appropriate for the purpose for which it was required and offered me annex F

got a lovely christmas present from the CS today refused my 9mm pistol he was not satisfied I had sufficient reason for requiring the firearm and that the firearm is the only type of weapon (his words) that is appropriate for the purpose for which it was required and offered me annex F

Sorry to hear the bad news, I know the feeling!
    Seems like a standard letter, a friend of mine got the same for a 22 revolver:rolleyes:

it seems to be the standard letter worked out between all the chief supers and the minister stands up in the dail and says there is no policy

Actually not his words:
    4(2)(h)(i) has a good and sufficient reason for requiring such a firearm, and
    (ii) has demonstrated that the firearm is the only type of weapon that is appropriate for the purpose for which it is required.

• Advertisement

Actually not his words:

I only meant the weapon part

on the appeal in the district can he only go by the wording in the letter of refusal?

Actually not his words:

I only meant the weapon part
    Still not his words :D. Direct quote from the Act.

on the appeal in the district can he only go by the wording in the letter of refusal?
    It's very broad. He's said not appropriate for the purpose, so he's going to take your 9mm and 'prove' it's not a target pistol, and 'good and sufficient reason' can be very subjective.

I still maintain that the best attack on this form of refusal is that the one you're applying for is the one you have and you had a good reason when you got it licensed first. It's also not possible under the current firearms act to change it for something that will do the same job as no new applications for centre fire pistols will be considered. Shooting in a club that's authorised for centre fire pistol by the Gardai is a very good reason for having it and using it for the purposes of competition within a specific discipline that requires centre fire pistols is a good reason why a .22 target pistol would not be appropriate.

Well it’s all official now got the letter from William Egan & Associates; my case will be heard on the 25th March in Castlebar. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Best of luck ! (Still waiting on my CS to make a decision)

Well it’s all official now got the letter from William Egan & Associates; my case will be heard on the 25th March in Castlebar. :eek:

Iam going down the same road was on to Willie today retaining his service have to say his is on the ball and the best of luck to you crimestat

Thanks meathshooter March is 3 months away a lot can happen. The problem now is I do not have a current licence so I cannot shoot in Midlands what is the story until March. My local Sergeant told me he would not confiscate the pistol until the appeal was over even though he was instructed to by the ex super. I am in a bit of a limbo; do you know can I range shoot over the holidays anywhere without a current license?

Thanksmeathshooter March is 3 months away a lot can happen. The problem now is I do not have a current licence so I cannot shoot in Midlands what is the story until March. My local Sergeant told me he would not confiscate the pistol until the appeal was over even though he was instructed to by the ex super. I am in a bit of a limbo; do you know can I range shoot over the holidays anywhere without a current license?

Play it safe, get the firearm to a dealer!

No one in their right mind will let you onto a range with a firearm that you don't hold a current cert for, not to mind shoot it!

• Advertisement

I thought as much I’ll drop it in after Christmas :(

Advertisement